Oshkosh 2009

Inverted25

Oshkosh 2009 was simply amazing! Flew the Cherokee up there. On the way there stopped at KJOT to get fuel since they have auto fuel on field. From there straight up to ripon then into Oshkosh. I was a little nervous being it was my first time but it went smoothly. Landed 36L on the purple dot and was directed over to vintage parking. My parking spot was amazing since it was right off 18/36 which is wear they do the airshow so I could lay at the plane and watch it without having to fight for a seat up close. It was also right next to the shower house so I didn't have to walk far in the mornings. There was soo much stuff to do there they I felt over whelmed. I spent alot of mine time at the builder forums. There you can build wing spars, cover a acro sport wing in fabric, learn to stick weld etc. It was a great learning experience. My uncle is building a KR-2 and he was there with me so it really answered a few question we had on how to do certain things. While walking around the home built kits we came across vision aircraft exhibit.They make kits for three different airplanes, a one seat, a two seat, and a four seat. The fast build kit price for the one seater is less than 10,000! Its all composite too! I figured that with engine and avionics and paint it could be done under 25,000. Its a extremely efficient airplane. http://pro-composites.com/ that is the website showing specs for all four planes. We are considering buying the single seat kit because it is designed for 60-120hp engines and we have a C-85 sitting in our hangar that is already 0 timed and ready to be put in a plane. So I'm excited about starting that project. That being said Oshkosh was amazing and I will be going back next year.

The Vision looks pretty cool. Did you see Sonex's new concept jet?

What a joke! I expected better from Sonex. It is powered by a RC engine, and they have not ever even started the engine, nor tested the plane itself. Sounds like a Jim Bede design to me.

I must have missed that.. here my question.. why is everyone jumping into the LSA market? At 100,000+ these planes seem very overpriced for their performance... I mean if I am going to pay 100,000 i expect to be able to fly faster than 120 knots... I guess I just dont see the future market for those to warrant so many companies to start building them. correct me if I am wrong

I must have missed that.. here my question.. why is everyone jumping into the LSA market? At 100,000+ these planes seem very overpriced for their performance... I mean if I am going to pay 100,000 i expect to be able to fly faster than 120 knots... I guess I just dont see the future market for those to warrant so many companies to start building them. correct me if I am wrong

I've always said the same thing, I thought LSA was supposed to be affordable and bring more people into aviation..

I'll tell you what building your own plane is the cheapest way to go anymore. I understand that not everyone is mechanically inclined enough to do it but if you are its the cheapest way and you can't beat the performance for the money. It also one of the most rewarding things you can do in life in my own experience.

Back