Orientation

kdwilkes

Well, for those of you interested, here is my post on orientation:

It started at the a$$ crack of dawn (0800). At least for me, a former college student, that was rough. We all met in a room separted by program, those with a PPL and those without. I even met KDRAKE. Nice Guy! The center manager and the director of training greeted us. Seem like nice guys, but who knows if we'll see 'em again.

Following were presentations from Marketing and the Flight Line. No details necessary. It was basic orientation info. After all that which took almost two hours we broke up to go take care of stuff. I went for my drug test and then fingerprinting.

Fingerprinting was pretty high tech. They scan both index fingers twice and your print is tranferred to a computer. Somehow this works into the ID card that they issue. Beyond my understanding!

Then it was off to uniform fitting. That was easy and boring. One tip: Make sure when they deliver the shirts to you at the end of the day that they are the right size. I was fitted for a large shirt and received XL. I did not realize this until 5PM so now I have to go to the uniform office off-campus and exchange them.

Next, we met with the Chief and Assistant Chief Pilots to go through logbooks and register for class. Fairly simple if your logbook is up to date. Make sure it is accurate and correct. Also, bring your pilot's license and medical certificate.

Then it was off to the bookstore. Take your time. You don't need everything right away. Also, talk to students at FSI about what they use/don't use. I got some good advice from CHUNK! THANKS! BTW, I met CHUNK in the FSI Cafe during lunch break. Another nice guy!

After lunch was an Academic Dept. presentation by the Academic Director. Pretty routine. Nothing special other than you are charged $50 for an unexcused no-show.

Marketing came again to discuss careers development. Very encouraging! 22 FSI instructors have been hired by regionals recently and probably more to get hired soon. The instructor pool is around 50 but expected to be cleared out by November. Things are starting to look better in the airline industry.

Lastly, was a presentation by the Flight Line. They talked about rules/regs and what to expect during flight training. no surprises. Getting a good instructor is easy. They are willing to change instructor assignments w/o a problem.

Orientation has confirmed my decision to train here. FSI and its employees are professional, courteous and willing to help their students. My opinion is that there is no better place to train and well worth the $$. Feel free to e-mail me any questions! Good Luck to all who are considering FSI. It is a great place and so far I would recommend it to anyone.

KD,

Approximately, how many students in your group.? And on the subject of books, what are the school recomendations.?

Heat2151

There were about 20. 10 going in with no PPL, 8 or 9 starting with Private Audit class and 1 or 2 starting either commercial or ME class. Not too many in each class.

As far as books go, they seem to be a requirement and they use Jeppesen books for ground school along with Aviation Weather and Aviation Weather Services books. There are also FSI specific checklists and training manuels that are required.

Back