Only pilot available with a baby on the way; scheduling advice

averettpilot

Throwing this out to those that have been there before. My wife and I are expecting March 5.

I am the only pilot available for the aircraft with no backup. I’m trying to figure out how to make sure I won’t miss the birth, and it’s understably hard to plan for something unpredictable from both my perspective and the company’s. In a perfect world, they would have planned to have a backup in place since I told them 5 months ago, and was also planning to take leave.

Just wondering if anyone had been in similar circumstances and how you addressed concerns with being on the road late in the pregnancy.

Cheers!

Congrats on the baby on the way!

I wasn't willing to risk being gone so I started FMLA two weeks prior to the due date. I mostly bid reserve, and I got called out for a PUJ 2 day trip at 3 weeks prior to the due date. I decided then that I wasn't going to leave on another trip. And here I sit, with momma, in the delivery room while cruising JC waiting for the action to pop off. 2 days late, no less!

Throwing this out to those that have been there before. My wife and I are expecting March 5.

I am the only pilot available for the aircraft with no backup. I’m trying to figure out how to make sure I won’t miss the birth, and it’s understably hard to plan for something unpredictable from both my perspective and the company’s. In a perfect world, they would have planned to have a backup in place since I told them 5 months ago, and was also planning to take leave.

Just wondering if anyone had been in similar circumstances and how you addressed concerns with being on the road late in the pregnancy.

Cheers!
Tell them what they’re doing and let it be their problem. I don’t know what you fly but surely they can track down a contractor.

I've been through this exact same situation. I've got lots of advice and legal issue that could help you out very much. But I'm not going to.

Toodles.

Cheers!
Throw up a contract pilot request here and see if anybody can fill in?

Throw up a contract pilot request here and see if anybody can fill in?
I’ve found contract pilots before when I was sick, but I’m kind of to the point where I don’t get paid a management fee so why should I? They’re the aircraft management company. It’s really frustrating that they haven’t prepared properly. It’s a single pilot jet and they only have me. Like someone above said, I’ll probably just start FMLA early. Thanks!

I appreciate all the responses. It seems the safe bet is to just start FMLA early. This is a single pilot jet operation, mostly part 91 for a management company if that helps form other opinions.

Once again, appreciate the advice! We’re excited, just trying to manage the stress of being gone, especially for mom. This is something that really worries her as we have no other family support she can rely on in town.

I didn’t want to be gone when ours came, so I took FMLA a whole month before ours was due! She was 5 days early.

The trouble we’re running into is she will most likely have a scheduled c-section (BIG baby, can’t have epidural because of multiple back surgeries) so that part in the next week may be decided. It’s the 2 weeks to go to get to term first where anything is possible, he could come early and I really can’t not be here. So I think it’s just taking early leave.

Just gotta refigure the budget because it’s all unpaid once the pto runs out.

Side question: any of your companies offer paid leave voluntarily? I know it’s not required and we planned for it, just wondering how common or uncommon paid leave is policy wise.

FWIW, in my experience the last week or two are a REALLY important time to be there for support, too; not just the delivery.

Back