Only good part of NASCAR is....

Eagle

Let me get this strait.

I Race airplanes.

I am one of the only people on this board if not *the* only one who has crossed the finish line at the Charlotte motor speedway (came in 3rd) in a professional race...

We raced last year in Fargo and the temps in the Cabin were above 120f.

I am not fat.

by your definition I am an athlete?

Snow

'Not a new member'
[ QUOTE ]
According to Ferrari, if their F1 car was set up for an oval superspeedway (gearing, aerodynamics), it would do over 300mph.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well how fast do the Indy cars go around oval tracks? They're faster than F1 cars in a streight line.

[ QUOTE ]
Yea stock cars that are running 186-200 mph at Daytona, Atlanta, and Taladega are really slow.If you think that stock cars are still using technology from the 1930's you better take another look at stock car racing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think people forget that these are suposed to be STOCK cars. Sure they no longer come from the factory but they still try and make them look like a Chev or Ford and I can assure you those arn't the best designs for a racing car. If you didn't have any of these rules and allowed them do you whatever they wanted you'd end up with somthing close to F1 or Indy cars, looking nothing like the road going versions. Which is losing the whole appeal of it I think.

If you think driving a realitivly pig handleing of a car around a oval track, on the limits for hours on end is easy then you got another thing coming. Plus they don't have power steering in those things, your arms would be getting sore after 10-15 laps, watch how they actually need 2 hands to turn those fat tires again and again.

I like nascar but I think a truely great sport is rallying. (and no Sega didn't invent the idea!) They are running real cars, from a factory (alas modified a lot), on real roads at insane speeds only feet away from trees and cliffs. That takes true driving skill. And what do you get for winning a round of a rally? $5000 if your lucky!

Derg

New Arizona, Il Duce/Warlord
Staff member
[ QUOTE ]
Sh*t most of you here can't FLY 180 let alone drive it! I think I detect some jealousy!
Be that as it may, NASCAR is an awesome SPORT! We don't bother you yankees about wrestling or Lacross or ROWING!!!! What's up with Rowing!!!??? So get off NASCAR!....cuz I just got off your m*ma!!

GO ahead bring on the mama jokes!

[/ QUOTE ]

Go fast... turn left... whoopdeedoo.

Sorry man, couldn't resist!

drumminpilot

[ QUOTE ]
GO ahead bring on the mama jokes!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yer mama's so skinny, you could grab her by the ankles and mop the floor with her weave.

Yer mama's so fat, that if she jumped, she'd get stuck in the air.

(Those were the only clean ones I could think of.)

drumminpilot

[ QUOTE ]
Yep that sums it up. explain please, the Athletic Ability in

Not getting restless
not having your ass fall asleep
having a pit crew pour water that burns you
and being willing to "stick it out" longer than the others on a hot day.

I mean come the F on. how do you train for that?

Having a staring contest to see who blinks first?
Sit in the Lay-Z-Boy 24 hours a day?
Work with idiots?
stand out in the sun at noon?

Good racing? sure athletic? no way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto

[ QUOTE ]
but how about Mo Vaughn, Kirby Puckett, or the whole defensive AND offensive lines in the NFL??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Vaughn, Puckett, Frank Thomas might be fat, but that doesn't mean non-athletic. As for the O-Lines and D-Lines, I've never been in the NFL, but I have gone up against some in college, and I promise you, 99% of them are very athletic. When guys that have close to or more than 100 pounds on me are nearly keeping up with me in a dead sprint, and I've only got maybe .5/.6 of a sec in the 40 on them. 4.9-5.1 in the 40 isn't bad for somebody that weighs 280-330, and is between 6'0"-6'5". And that's just an average speed for the average college lineman in the SEC.

foztofly

Ok, I made some horrible comparisons there.
Was just trying to make a point that NASCAR drivers are "athletes". Maybe they aren't the fastest runners or strongest bench pressers or "jocks" as society labels them, but what they do takes a great deal of skill (ask those that have failed miserably and gone broke trying to make it to even the Junior ranks of racing). Many people consider it a sport because of the endurance/skill required. Is it wrong to consider those involved in a sport an athlete? Enough of this topic for me. And just in case you are wondering, no I am not a "redneck"... matter of fact, I am a Yankee.

drumminpilot

I just realized that the post I made sounded like I was trying to bust your balls. I really wasn't. I agree completely that what they do takes a great amount of skill, an amount that not very many people have. However, I don't consider NASCAR, or any other racing involving anything with an engine a sport. Thus, the basis for me not calling race car drivers athletes. I'm sure that some are athletic, but I don't think that's because they race. However, I've never raced anything off of a city street or interstate, so I have no idea of the ins and outs of racing. Come to think of it, I don't even know what the exact definition of sport is, so I could just be full of crap either way. Sorry again for that last post coming across so harsh, didn't mean for it to sound like that.

averyrm

I'd say NASCAR is a sport as much as competitive Drum Corps are a sport. (www.dci.org - if you're interested). Those guys are athletic, it takes a ton of skill to be a good Drum Corp, but it is not a sport. Something that requires skill and something that is a sport are two totally different things. Surgery isn't a sport.

flyitup

To back up Drummin...

Definition of Sport:

Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

blee256

What about the pit crew, would you guys consider them athletes??
They have to jump a retaining wall and carry a 40 pound tire, a 30 pound jack, or 10 gallons of gas. They change 4 tires, track bar adjustment, fill it up with gas, and peel of clear strip off the winshield all in 15-17 seconds, anything longer than that is slow!

-Brian

G

Many of you are confusing being in shape with being athletic. Mo Vaughn, not in shape, but athletic. Hell, the fact that Shaq can clear a phone book with his fat A$$ shows his athleticism. As for NASCAR, not a fan here, but I can tell you that driving 500 laps around a track at 180-200 mph does involve physical & mental exertion. So by your definitinol #2, it is a sport. But this is ongoing debate that will last forever. Kind of like golf being a sport. I think it is, many do not. Who cares? I don't as long as my handicap stays below 8.

ready2fly

[ QUOTE ]
...my handicap stays below 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Impressive! Where do you find time to play AND fly???

Where ya play up there in ATL?

G

I live in Chastain Park, so I play there often. It's cheap and somewhat decent. However, I will venture out and play the Frog, no affiliation with France, and I have a friend who is a member at AAC. We play there quite often as well.

ready2fly

Never got to play at AAC. Drove by it MANY a time. Played at Chastain and Bobby Jones and one other that I cannot remember the name of.....

Cheap golf is good. I say - why pay a ton of money to lose 12 balls?

Oh - and my handicap is...... trying to hit that little white ball straight.

robair73

I like NASCAR and I don't consider it a traditional sport. It's more of a competition. Would you consider a jockey an atlete or horse racing a sport? I don't. It's along the same lines. Jockeys train and it's not easy, but they're not athletes. They horses are. Maybe the cars in NASCAR are the athletes. Whatever, that's not my point. NASCAR is not a sport. That's my point.(in a traditional sense)

JaceTheAce

I hate NASCRAP!!! My friend's call it "white-trash roundy-round" ...very little driving skill involved compared to F1, WRC (rally cars), or DTM racing.