One of our own upgraded to 747 Captain

2 posts, 1 day. Iz good no?

I did have a new hire on OE born after I started flying 121. Now I must tuck my t-shirt into my jeans with the black leather belt and wear white velcro sneakers (but not ironically)
I’m glad to see you back here. This place is better as a result of your experience and background. Young pilots looking here for advice and historical context will benefit from your participation in this forum. 😄

I’m glad to see you back here. This place is better as a result of your experience and background. Young pilots looking here for advice and historical context will benefit from your participation in this forum. 😄
Even if it isn't your dream job, the plane doesn't care. Separate the aviation from the business side.

Even if it isn't your dream job, the plane doesn't care. Separate the aviation from the business side.
What makes something a dream job? A few more bucks an hour? An extra percent into the 401K? Bragging rights at your high school reunion?

I submit that if you earn a good living, and can afford a nice home in a place where you want to raise your kids, some fun hobbies and the time off to pursue them, and if you're professionally fulfilled by the flying you do - then that is in fact a dream job.

We don't need to break out the rulers, drop our shorts, and play "whose airline is best?" just to prove something to the forum crowd or our flight school buddies. It just doesn't matter.

What makes something a dream job? A few more bucks an hour? An extra percent into the 401K? Bragging rights at your high school reunion?

I submit that if you earn a good living, and can afford a nice home in a place where you want to raise your kids, some fun hobbies and the time off to pursue them, and if you're professionally fulfilled by the flying you do - then that is in fact a dream job.

We don't need to break out the rulers, drop our shorts, and play "whose airline is best?" just to prove something to the forum crowd or our flight school buddies. It just doesn't matter.

My theory is to latch on to the place that does the work that makes you happy and hold on. Provided you aren’t starting out later in life, every single company out there is going to have their ups and downs and anyone who says they can predict them is a liar. Delta might be on top right now, but in ‘08 it was embarrassing to walk through the terminal in ATL with Delta Connection all over my uniform.

Atlas isn’t perfect, but I enjoy the work I do and if I can’t live comfortably on that they’re paying me, I’m not living life correctly. I’ve got 20-25 years left. There’s going to be ups and downs, but I’m happy where I am.

Exactly! I’ve had talks with a few members here about that topic. I feel since times were insane 21-23 it seemed if one didn’t end up at the big 3, that is considered a failure in the ego meter and bragging rights. For some the big 3 is the dream, for others, two weeks off at a time flying WB’s around the globe is a dream, for others flying an RJ based at home senior enough to hold locals is the dream. That’s the beauty of humans, we all see dream jobs for what our personal dreams are. It’s the ones that suffer from the “I’ll be happy when…” that seem to forget what their dream job was. That dream was hijacked as soon as they stopped remembering what it felt like to stare at a plane or cockpit in awe, saying one day that will be me.

Back