On the Fence

DJPilot

I could go into detail about my life story, but I won't waste your time. I'll give the bullet points.

• I'm 25.
  • I love to fly.
  • I love to be financially comfortable as well.
I can see myself happy with a career in business, but I also see myself happy with a career in aviation. My question for all you career changers is this: What made up your mind about switching to a career in aviation? Do you have any regrets?

I'm on the fence and leaning towards business. There's a much higher potential for earnings, and I could always keep aviation as a big part of my life. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Ill be flying into AVL this afternoon :)

It sounds like you have a good grasp of the economic ramifications of either path.

You have to look at your own pros and cons. I mean, if you're content with your career now and fly on the side, then there is no reason to change the status quo there.

If you are unhappy with your current situation, then sure, go for it.

If you make decent money, then try getting your licenses and try working as a CFI on the side.

Are you thinking if you major in business you will be in upper level management and make six figures?

Plenty of 65K/year managers out there.

There are superstars on both sides, what makes you think Business will treat you better?

I chose aviation cause I thought 1: I don't know how I would be able to afford to fly with another job. and 2: Even if i could afford to fly, I would be frustrated cause I wouldn't be flying enough. When I first discovered aviation, I was working line service, and saw all the crew and their passengers getting off the plane, and thought, "you know, the passengers get to their destination, and then they go to work. The pilots, their job is done, now they can just hang out. Thats pretty sweet." They seemed to be in good moods, and much more laid back and down to earth than the passengers. The passengers are the ones who chose business, and obviously the pilots chose aviation.

So thats why I chose aviation.

now im sitting here with a degree, and still working a job doing line service. Its frustrating, and your question about going either way is something ive been asking myself. But what do you mean a job in business. you cant just go find a "business" job. If i got some accounting, management, or random job working for an obscure, boring company, it would be unfulfilling, and probably more frustrating than my current situation.

I am new to this blog. I am also "new" again (maybe) in the aviation world. I did the opposite of what you are describing. I went to flight school in late 80's did the CFII, 135, then on to regionals before I realized I wasn't paying the bills. I switched careers to of all things police work after my first child was born because I wanted to at least be at home nights. It has been a good career for me and is coming to an end. I am now looking at getting back into flying, not really as a career, but as a supplement. I have a house at Table Rock lake, Shell Knob MO and am looking for some entry level type flying such as pipeline, sightseeing, etc to supplement my retirement in that area.
I have been out of the industry too long and lost all my contacts. Can anyone give me some advice or ideas or know anyone needing someone like me in the MO/AR area?
By the way...No regrets on the career change. I never really missed all the complaining passengers, etc but I did miss the flying itself.
Sorry if I got off your topic there "on the fence", but I thought a backwards perspective might interest someone.

I am not sure as to your current standing in the aviation career field meaning if you are thinking of becoming a pilot, already certified and building time, or already employed and thinking of leaving the flying gig. If you are thinking about becoming a pilot or in training still, you are at a much easier time to decide then the last.

I have been thinking about my career decision ever since I got hired with my current flying gig over a year ago and it has been driving me nuts. I graduated college with a 4 year degree in meteorology and I have over $75,000 worth of pilot debt on top of my 4 year degree's debt so that is also what needs to be considered.

As for me, I love flying airplanes and I will continue to fly airplanes for the rest of my life. My problem is and will always lie with the simple question. "Is my love for flying enough to overshadow this absolutely miserable industry?" Said another way, "Is commercial flying REALLY WORTH IT?"

That question has plagued me for as long as I have been a part of this industry and I have finally decided that it is NOT worth it. Not only does this industry use the very love for our jobs that we have against us, but it also pits us against each other. As much as i love the friends I have made in this industry, I would stab any one of them in the back to get on with SWA or some awesome corp job. The last, and most significant reason which finally made my decision was the fact I, MYSELF, was contributing to the very reason WHY this industry sucks so much, by accepting and continuing to do my job and turning a blind eye to all the crappy circumstances. I don't care how many different ways you slice it, no pilot should make $24,000 per year after completing over $50,000 worth of specialized training. Not when he or she is responsible for the lives of 50 people sitting behind him. The responsibility alone, without any specialization at all, is worth more than $24,000 per year, even in this economy. I have a friend who is a secretary at my college I graduated from. He makes $28,000 per year and has a GED (no he is not a student at the college) and only works when the school is in session (holidays off, summer and winter vacations). Finally, I realized that my desire to be able to look at myself in the mirror outweighed my love for being paid to flying.

That said, I have returned to College to pursue a masters degree in a different field and continue to fly on a rental/CFI basis. The biggest thing I keep telling myself is that anyone who has the license can fly a plane. It doesn't matter if you take a break, you CAN get back into flying if you choose to. It may take a while and you will have to put up with a lot but you CAN do it. That is my reasoning for leaving this industry and heaven forbid I ever want to fly commercially again, I will take it up once more!

I could go into detail about my life story, but I won't waste your time. I'll give the bullet points.

• I'm 25.
  • I love to fly.
  • I love to be financially comfortable as well.
I can see myself happy with a career in business, but I also see myself happy with a career in aviation. My question for all you career changers is this: What made up your mind about switching to a career in aviation? Do you have any regrets?

I'm on the fence and leaning towards business. There's a much higher potential for earnings, and I could always keep aviation as a big part of my life. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Do you have a degree? Debt? Married?

All of this makes a difference. I walked away from IT at 32 years old with a degree, no debt, and no family and haven't looked back.

I am not sure as to your current standing in the aviation career field meaning if you are thinking of becoming a pilot, already certified and building time, or already employed and thinking of leaving the flying gig. If you are thinking about becoming a pilot or in training still, you are at a much easier time to decide then the last.

I have been thinking about my career decision ever since I got hired with my current flying gig over a year ago and it has been driving me nuts. I graduated college with a 4 year degree in meteorology and I have over $75,000 worth of pilot debt on top of my 4 year degree's debt so that is also what needs to be considered.

As for me, I love flying airplanes and I will continue to fly airplanes for the rest of my life. My problem is and will always lie with the simple question. "Is my love for flying enough to overshadow this absolutely miserable industry?" Said another way, "Is commercial flying REALLY WORTH IT?"

That question has plagued me for as long as I have been a part of this industry and I have finally decided that it is NOT worth it. Not only does this industry use the very love for our jobs that we have against us, but it also pits us against each other. As much as i love the friends I have made in this industry, I would stab any one of them in the back to get on with SWA or some awesome corp job. The last, and most significant reason which finally made my decision was the fact I, MYSELF, was contributing to the very reason WHY this industry sucks so much, by accepting and continuing to do my job and turning a blind eye to all the crappy circumstances. I don't care how many different ways you slice it, no pilot should make $24,000 per year after completing over $50,000 worth of specialized training. Not when he or she is responsible for the lives of 50 people sitting behind him. The responsibility alone, without any specialization at all, is worth more than $24,000 per year, even in this economy. I have a friend who is a secretary at my college I graduated from. He makes $28,000 per year and has a GED (no he is not a student at the college) and only works when the school is in session (holidays off, summer and winter vacations). Finally, I realized that my desire to be able to look at myself in the mirror outweighed my love for being paid to flying.

That said, I have returned to College to pursue a masters degree in a different field and continue to fly on a rental/CFI basis. The biggest thing I keep telling myself is that anyone who has the license can fly a plane. It doesn't matter if you take a break, you CAN get back into flying if you choose to. It may take a while and you will have to put up with a lot but you CAN do it. That is my reasoning for leaving this industry and heaven forbid I ever want to fly commercially again, I will take it up once more!

And now your debt piles up even more! Well, I'm glad you're pursuing another field, that's one less back you have to stab to get where you need to be. Whatever floats your boat.

I have absolutely no debt, and no family to depend on me. I'm deciding to make the jump to a career I love. I'm almost done with my private pilot license at my local FBO, and I'll begin pursuing my instrument rating next.

I've got a good job right now, so I'm going to bite the bullet, move back in with the parents, and save as much money as possible in order to minimize my loan amount. I'll be taking as many lessons as possible between now and then.

It's important to note that, between all of the broad generalizations about "this industry", there are plenty of success stories.

Plenty of people with spouses/families who have little or no debt, live a very comfortable lifetyle, and have very fulflling jobs as pilots.

You just don't hear those people screaming from the mountaintops when threads like this pop up.

It also has something to do with delayed gratification -- that such success and satisfaction does not come instantly or easily. For some reason, many younger folks in "this industry" think they are entitiled to have it NOW...and that's just not how life works for most Americans.

It also has something to do with delayed gratification -- that such success and satisfaction does not come instantly or easily. For some reason, many younger folks in "this industry" think they are entitiled to have it NOW...and that's just not how life works for most Americans.

So true. It takes years to make a decent living.

I came from the auto industry. I spent just shy of 10 years working for one automaker around the country as a wrench. I made WAYYYY better money, and was WAY more p.o.'ed at the end of the day. After having made the jump, I had to work seven days a week for two years to get one step up on the career ladder, and it was worth it. Now, I am stuck in aviation, because I would never go back to wrenching. But, I am happy about it because it's not a bad place to be stuck.

Could I make more money for the flying I am currently doing, probably. I am happy where I am at, yup. My boss takes care of his guys, is more concerned about our saftey than making a buck, and actually upgrades us when he see's fit to do so.

I just experienced my first "got stuck and had to rent a car because of weather". On the long drive home I got to thinking "man this would suck if this were my career and I had to deal with delays like this".

I decided I'll keep my well paying desk job. :)

I just experienced my first "got stuck and had to rent a car because of weather". On the long drive home I got to thinking "man this would suck if this were my career and I had to deal with delays like this".

I decided I'll keep my well paying desk job. :)

Some people see that as an inconvenience, others see it as another challenge or new experience; something aviation doesn't lack at all

DJpilot,

I am almost in the same exact situation you are in. I am 25 and have a 4 year degree in business. I currently work as a floor plan auditor but absolutely hate it and can't see myself doing it anymore. My girlfriend recently broke up with me and I came to the conclusion that I need to at least try to become a pilot because at this point in my life, I really don't see myself in the business world loathing work everyday. I have worked in office jobs and now travel quite a bit but I just can't imagine doing this crap for another 30-40 years. We are at an age right now that if we get into aviation and decide it isn't for us after a couple years, we are still young enough to switch careers. I have moved back in with my mom also but realized its for the better now and I can hopefully finish my ratings with zero debt which seems to be key in this industry. I am almost done with my private also and will jump right into instrument afterwards. You only get one shot at life and you might as well say you tried rather than go through life wondering what if. Nobody knows what the future holds and being a pilot could work out for you or you could fail miserably but at least you won't have regrets when you are sitting on your deathbed. It's always nice taking advice from others but you can't decide what you want out of life on an internet forum. I think being a pilot is a very difficult lifestyle that takes creativity to make it work.

Many people on this forum will give their opinion on your situation but ultimately its up to you. I'm in a somewhat similar position except I do have a family and I'm younger and I have no job or extensive work experience. Getting into the aviaition world isn't easy from what I've been told but if its what you want to do then do it.

For me I'll have to take out a loan to cover all my flight training which and I could run around trying to find a job for months so I could pay as I go or even attend a community college but would I truly be happy? Probably not.

Do what makes you happy because you only have one life to live.

Back