On a somewhat lighter note....

MuscleShirt

OK, let's get some discussion going which will likely not result in a thread being locked up!

Since we are all pilots and we are in touch with mother nature every single day, I figured we could start a conversation on the weather patterns we have been witnessing lately. I have been reading some articles which address the seemingly change in weather around the globe. For example, 18 inches of snow in Cleveland from April 29th-May 2nd.

I have only been in Florida for almost 2 years, but I certainly do not remember June weather being anything like this. I have also talked to some who have lived here their entire lives that have not ever seen weather like we have in the past month.

So, all you meteorology buffs...Talk away!

We used to stay that Florida had a"rubber stamp" weather pattern in the summer: fog in the early morning, clear and very hot until the afternoon, then the isolated TS and back to clear again at night... all the warm air and moisture from the Gulf brought by the last couple of Tropical Storms has really changed that. There is a lot more moisture available and the atmosphere is really unstable....

For about two weeks now we've been under the influence of basically one weather system that has changed its nature along the way (cold front, stationary front, trof, low, trof again, etc. etc.) and merged with a couple of tropical waves, but basically has just hung around Florida all this time.

The normal summer weather for Central Florida is isolated or scattered thunderstorms in the afternoon, but this puppy has been producing widespread TS, lines, clusters; day after day, at random times during the day. Kind of irritating...

Dunno how this relates to global weather, but when the hurricane season forecast was released --it's supposed to be an active one-- I remember one of the wx gurus talk about "decennial cycles" in tropical weather. The gist was that after the big hurricane that hit Homestead (Andrew?), there were some 15 "quiet" years and we now may be at the start of another "busy" cycle, that began last year and could last a decade or so. Part of a pattern that repeats itself every few decades.

[ QUOTE ]
For about two weeks now we've been under the influence of basically one weather system that has changed its nature along the way (cold front, stationary front, trof, low, trof again, etc. etc.) and merged with a couple of tropical waves, but basically has just hung around Florida all this time.

The normal summer weather for Central Florida is isolated or scattered thunderstorms in the afternoon, but this puppy has been producing widespread TS, lines, clusters; day after day, at random times during the day. Kind of irritating...

Dunno how this relates to global weather, but when the hurricane season forecast was released --it's supposed to be an active one-- I remember one of the wx gurus talk about "decennial cycles" in tropical weather. The gist was that after the big hurricane that hit Homestead (Andrew?), there were some 15 "quiet" years and we now may be at the start of another "busy" cycle, that began last year and could last a decade or so. Part of a pattern that repeats itself every few decades.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember reading an article which stated something similar. It mentioned that meteorologists now believe that tropical weather follows a cycle of about 25 years. That is, 25 years of innactivity, followed by 25 years of heavy activity. Apparently this 25 year-long "active" cycle began in the late 90's, and it is now picking up speed. Some like to say that global warming is the culprit, citing that it has increased ocean surface temperatures, but I think that is a silly argument. Especially since any major study has only detected an average increase of less than one degree, and even that information is skewed because we've only been able to collect this data for about 50 years or so.

The upper air weather has been unusual around here as mentioned above. Our weather was certainly attributed to the Low Pres. trough that seemed to sit above FL for the whole month of June.

Though, now as I sit here looking at the Atlantic charts, it would appear that we most certainly are in for a very busy tropical storm season. Time to hunker down!!!!!!!

Man this weather is putting a thumb on my flying. All I need is a couple more flights of commercial manuevers and power off 180's and it's FAA time. Last night was a doosy. We had a line of cells form just east of MCO. One minute it was clear with high clouds and then bam! We monitered the radar and in popped up from nothing to green then to yellow and red. Had some real nasty lighting a lot of wind. Had to close the ramp for 15 minutes. You could hear the lighting energy field in the hallway speakers. It sprinkled here and there, but all the rain missed the field.

It's been great the past two days....not a cloud in the sky!

The last few weeks have been a nuisance weather wise. I did a 3 day trip that began on Friday, all with 4 to 6 legs a day of just Florida flying, all with 25-30 minute quick turns. Amazingly enough, we actually managed to complete all the flights on time. I can't believe that it all clears up on my days off. Looks like it'll be back to thunderstorm dodging when I go back to work on Thursday!

Is a 'lighter note' thread possible in the DCA forums?
smile.gif
Can it last?
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Is a 'lighter note' thread possible in the DCA forums?
smile.gif
Can it last?
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

$5 says not a chance..........give you a 3 day "point spread"
grin.gif

Lemme call my bookie. I'm sure he's going to want some action on this!

[ QUOTE ]
DCA sucks! Hehehehe

All good things must come to an end....

[/ QUOTE ]

Well....I lost.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DCA sucks! Hehehehe

All good things must come to an end....

[/ QUOTE ]

Well....I lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. I was just joking.
smile.gif

G

The equivalent of a ground rule home run for me!

Since you caused MikeD to lose the bet, I'd suggest purchasing some old Army Air Corps barrage balloons and strategically placing them around your home.

[ QUOTE ]
The equivalent of a ground rule home run for me!

Since you caused MikeD to lose the bet, I'd suggest purchasing some old Army Air Corps barrage balloons and strategically placing them around your home.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone have any flak they can lend me?
smile.gif

G

[ QUOTE ]
I've got a pellet gun...

[/ QUOTE ]

Somehow I think that won't be sufficient. (Plink, plink, plink...as if I could even get off 3 shots with an air rifle before that 20MM cannon got me.)

G

Back