Omni

STS-41B

Any one on here a current Omni pilot?
good/bad/ugly?
Is training good?
Upgrade time?
Genera impressions?

I was until about a year ago. The only ugly I can think of is that ATSG may be getting more involved, and that's never a good thing.

Everything I can tell you is subject to change (and may have already changed), but I really enjoyed it. Lots of long layovers, and pre-covid also a lot of sitting at home on long-call. Training was excellent, I thought, although it was also my first 121 shop, so maybe my expectations were set low by CAE. Upgrade time was "whenever you're ready and have the time" when I was there. I think it's gone up, since, but it's certainly not overly long. General impressions were all positive. I'd have retired there if A) They had a meaningful retirement and B) I could be assured that they'd still be around when it was time to retire.

I don't work for Omni, but I have a CJO from them. I will say that everything I have seen so far has been very positive. Also, everyone that I have talked to has had nothing but good things to say about the place, echoing what Boris the Vampire posted above. All that being said, they have been experiencing fairly high turnover lately, but what airline outside the Big 7 hasn't? Both of their classes last month were full, which I think is very positive, cause not all ACMI's can say the same thing. Supposedly there are big improvements coming in the next CBA, but that is just a rumor. Also a rumor of A330's coming to replace the 767's. I would not bank on either of those things happening.

Omni would be a great place to work for a long time, or it could be a great stepping stone to a major. They have a pretty strong business model, assuming that ATSG doesn't try to F around with it/them.

Good luck!

Any one on here a current Omni pilot? Been here nearly 4 years.
good/bad/ugly? The good: pay, QOL, crews. The bad/ugly: if you're low on the sonority, QOL isn't great. These planes never stop, so the planes are constantly breaking.
Is training good? This was my first 121 and I thought it was decent. It's nearly all self taught (CBT). Instructors are top notch and work with you if you're willing to put in the time and effort.
Upgrade time? The last awards went 6 years on property. This is subjective, though. When I first started upgrade was around 2ish years. Once they hired the street captains, everyone put in for upgrade. With the current markets, upgrade will fall back to 2ish years.
Genera impressions? I thoroughly enjoyed my time here. The next contract will have some kind of DC, which will make this place a career company.
Are you referring to the big Omni or little Omni?
I answered your questions for OAI. I know nothing about that little Omni.

Thanks so much for the replies and insight!
.. I’m referring to OAE… I don’t know what “little Omni” is. ??

Back