Old Washington DC Air Defense

Agent Ezzard

Some people were asking me about my avatar. Well I was in DC back in '04 for a neat mission. I was a radar operator but on occasion I would visit the missile junkies at their various locations.

Everything has changed now.

This was my site:
5806780-369

And my avatar a lil larger:
5806751-2a5

I remember seeing those all over the place.
The Hummers hanging out in front of the Pentagon were the most memorable, though.

Now they're using SLAMRAAMs so they can reach out and touch you further away.

I was there during Nixon's funeral and some governer's pilot almost got them roasted. They evecuated the capitol building and everything. I wonder if that pilot is on this board...

Slamraam_5.jpg

Not something I ever want to see pointed at me...especially in the likes of a 152. Luckily, if you have any brain at all, when you depart from JYO you're far enough out that you have a while to go before you get too close. Sure, you're still right up against the new ADIZ, but you have to be skilled or just ridiculously lost to depart JYO and wander into the freeze.

That's such a pleasant thought when you are flying the river visual in moderate chop and reduced visibility. You darn well better get it right.

Or how 'bout when Potomoc screws up and vectors you through P-56.

Yes, we're supposed to know where we and and that we're being vectored through a prohibited area, but when all you have is the little Jepp map of the Bravo it can be pretty difficult, especially in IMC.

If you're not already a member of www.faasafety.gov, I highly recommend signing up for it and taking the course "Navigating the New DC ADIZ". Plus, you get WINGS points for taking the courses.

Back