Old Camera- what to do?

Cal Goat

Prestige Worldwide™
I have a first generation Canon Digital Rebel that I haven't used in years. Features-wise, it's pretty obsolete. What would you do with this thing? Dropping it off at e-recyling seems like maybe a waste since it still works in spite of its obsolescence. I want to keep the lenses, but does anyone know if like a high school photography class or something would want this as a donation?

Put it on Craigslist and see what happens.

Do a search for photography clubs in your area, they may take it.

ebay!

A few years ago someone bought mine for $400. I even sold an older 35mm Rebel for $250!

I need to get back into ebaying some stuff!

As has been mentioned already, Canon buys cameras. As for me personally...Craigslist would take that thing up in a heartbeat.

I'm late to this party, but I'd also take it off your hands. I'd like a nice back country camera I wouldn't have to worry about as much!

I have a first generation Canon Digital Rebel that I haven't used in years. Features-wise, it's pretty obsolete. What would you do with this thing? Dropping it off at e-recyling seems like maybe a waste since it still works in spite of its obsolescence. I want to keep the lenses, but does anyone know if like a high school photography class or something would want this as a donation?

Despite being obsolete, it still takes pictures. Ideal for use in 3rd world countries, or many parts of the US, for when you want to have a camera, but there is a high risk of it being stolen/broken/lost.

Canon will prob buy it back from you...I got $275 for the XSi Rebel that got passed from @scooter2525 ---> @mikecweb ---> Me

That's even with a Shutter System Failure.

How does one sell an old camera back to Canon? I'll check their website, but if you could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

I'll pay for the shipping and take it off your hands.

I'm late to this party, but I'd also take it off your hands. I'd like a nice back country camera I wouldn't have to worry about as much!

I'd be happy to let you guys start a bidding war :D, but just as a reminder, this is the 03 model. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_300D

That's 6.3MP and a tiny LCD screen on the back. No video. Also only uses a CF card. I'm not even sure if that's still a thing. I also would assume that the battery would need replacement since it's over a like 13 years old now. I last charged it and used in 2011 I think.

Despite being obsolete, it still takes pictures. Ideal for use in 3rd world countries, or many parts of the US, for when you want to have a camera, but there is a high risk of it being stolen/broken/lost.

I carry the Sony a5000 in my flight bag now. I bought it for $400 new, so I wouldn't be overly distraught if it got lost or stolen at that price point. Gives me all the functionality of an SLR with a nice compact body.

How does one sell an old camera back to Canon? I'll check their website, but if you could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

I'd be happy to let you guys start a bidding war :D, but just as a reminder, this is the 03 model. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_300D

That's 6.3MP and a tiny LCD screen on the back. No video. Also only uses a CF card. I'm not even sure if that's still a thing. I also would assume that the battery would need replacement since it's over a like 13 years old now. I last charged it and used in 2011 I think.

I carry the Sony a5000 in my flight bag now. I bought it for $400 new, so I wouldn't be overly distraught if it got lost or stolen at that price point. Gives me all the functionality of an SLR with a nice compact body.

I'll do shipping + $1.05. Can't counter the price of freedom.

But seriously, let me know what you'd want for it. I plan on doing some backpacking this summer and would prefer not to have to worry about an expensive camera on my back.

I'll do shipping + $1.05. Can't counter the price of freedom.

But seriously, let me know what you'd want for it. I plan on doing some backpacking this summer and would prefer not to have to worry about an expensive camera on my back.

Okay. I'll shoot you a PM.

will it blend?

You must be a Nikon man. I'd rather send it to the hydraulic press dude in Finland.

Looks like it might get to follow in the tradition of camera's changing hands via JC (which is awesome, I really like our group of photog's) :D

but if you ever need to use it:
http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/recycling

They buy back lenses as well, I might be doing that here soon. (I really want a 100-400L...but I did find a 28-300L locally for $950, so that might be what I go with)

Back