OKC apt that is: cheap, FAA and pet friendly!

teetee

Ok, I am currently on Lortab so I hope this all makes sense.

Today I found a place that is pet friendly, cheap and they will work with FAA (not requiring long-term lease). I had a really hard time finding all three of these requirements...and these people easily met them all plus the additional one of having a family! I am sooo thrilled!!!!

The price for the apartment I signed for is $525 for a 750 sq ft 1 bedroom apartment, all utilities included (that equals out to be $17.50/day). The deposit is $200 and is completely refundable. For a pet the deposit $150. The complex is owned by a couple and the husband is high up in the FAA and saw a need for a nice complex that was cheap and not long term. They were GREAT about working with me! We aren't going to be there until the end of December but they are holding our apartment until we get there with just our deposit. They are also giving us the 3 days in December free and only making us start paying with January rent!! This is one of the best deals I could find on Craig's list (and I have looked at all of them for the last few weeks!!)

To find out if they have an apartment and situation that would work for you, you can call them at: (405) 688-7368

Hope this can help with some of you that have animals!

nathanw

Where's this place at? Do you know if they have internet access? Fully furnished, including dishes/appliances? Towels? Maid service? So many questions!

teetee

You have to get your own internet service. (about $24/month from what I have checked out!) The appliances included are: dishwasher, stove & refridgerator. No maid service and not furnished.

This is what I figured. With adding monthly internet cost onto daily wages, you are still under $19/day. Microwave at most will cost $60-80 if you have to purchase one (we are bringing a cheap, small one). Add that cost to the first month and it would make your first month average $20-21/day (with internet) then for each additional month you go back to the $19. Since we already have to take clothes, towels aren't that big of a deal. As far as furnishings, we are taking: our 2 air beds (the one is the nice queen size that sits as high as a real bed the other is for the kids and just the typical queen size air bed); for a kitchen table we are taking our card table and chairs. For a couch, we are going to try and find a CHEAP/ FREE one on Craig's list, or live without for 4 months. For kitchen utinsels and such...we are considering 2 options: all paper products and our crappy pans to throw away at the end and purchase new pans when we get home OR purchase the cheap $1 plates and such from walmart..spend $20 on kitchen utinsels, plates and cups and throw away before comin home. If you added that to the first month with microwave and everything, you still wouldn't be over $25/day...much cheaper than the FAA housing.

This isn't ideal as far as wanting everything included. As far as working with contracts, having a nice place (with a garage if you would like) that is close to the FAA, allowing pets and letting you keep most of the per diem...this is the way to go! The lady helping me was amazing and so kind. They really try to help each person with what they will need!

JT ATC

good deal then. You could buy all your utensils, plates, pots and pans with ur first 2 days of per diem. 2 months ago I had a futon you could have had for free lol.

teetee

The first month we will have to pay rent out of savings cause the per diem won't kick in from the start.

Thanks for mentioning a futon, mention free then dash my hopes cause we can't have it :( :sarcasm:

teetee

Well, we ended up switching locations to the Villas on Meridian. I talked to some people (well several people) that live in OKC or have lived in OKC. All advised NOT to live below 36th North. I guess there are 2 major freeways that intersect in OKC (one goes South from Mexico all the way North to Canada and the other goes from the East Coast to the West Coast).

Anyway, I was informed that it is a major drug trafficking area and the closer you are the the intersection area and not in FAA housing, the higher chances you have of being surrounded by drug dealers. There also tends to be a higher number of "Ladies of the Night" due to the high trucking traffic that also goes through that intersection of freeways. I know of at least 3 FAA students that lived below 36th No. trying to stay closer in commuting and all of them had their cars broken into, as well as dealing with all the others stuff. Not something I am looking into with young children, so I switched locations because that original one was located on Rockwell and 7th North. Rockwell is a good street...as long as you are past 36th North.

Just thought I would pass on the information I had learned about OKC to anyone that might be interested when looking for housing about what areas were like and such.

teetee

Well that puts me at ease to see that the apartment I found is NOT in the area that you have marked red. ;) We really are rather north in OKC. Some have said it might take my husband about 25 minutes to commute which seems like an eternity considereing he only has a 2 minute commute right now.

According to the map above...we will be in the Warr Acres area, just down from the number 3.