OKC Academy Schedules

Vortmax

What are the schedules like at OKC? Does your class keep the same schedule for the whole 3-4 months, or is it a rotating schedule? Trying to plan my housing, transportation etc. This final question is ONLY for those IN the academy or who have COMPLETED the academy: Would flying home on weekends disrupt studies or not. This is quite vague I know, but just wondering if weekends are spent studying together or if people "chill" on the weekends.

Schedules rotate between day and evening classes. You might get out at 11:45pm Friday night, after the airport closes, and have to be back for class Monday morning at 7:00am.

You will generally know what schedule you'll have the week before, but not much beyond that.

Schedules rotate between day and evening classes. You might get out at 11:45pm Friday night, after the airport closes, and have to be back for class Monday morning at 7:00am.

You will generally know what schedule you'll have the week before, but not much beyond that.

Last I checked, none of the airports close around here... :)

Things can always change, but we had some good notice on our schedule as soon as the first week of classes. Whether you need to study or not is really a personal decision... the official answer is that instructors cannot ask you to study outside of working hours, though it might "behoove you to do so" if needed. I haven't found the need to study that much, but then again I'm geekish in the sense that I can usually stand to "eat, sleep, and breathe" most aviation and air traffic control stuff.

The upside if you work nights is that half of the other weeks you are finished by 14:30/15:30 on Friday, and return on Monday at 15:30, so it works out if you want to travel those weeks. Our instructors gave us the schedule for the first 4-5 weeks on the first day, and then were able to get us the schedule for the second part of training a couple weeks after that.

Schedule changes are rare, so you can plan to take a trip if you want (but I found it easier to just stay here through Aug. 1). Southwest's a good option if they fly where you're heading, since if the schedule changes and screws you (or you change your mind and want to soak in OKC ;)), you can always rebook your ticket for no fee...

Back