Oh, Smokin' Joe...

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
Ahh, I see UAL Pilots are absolutely loving Joe Kolshak.

Fellow Council 12 Pilots:

Your MEC met the week of July 21 through 25 in Chicago. During this week your MEC was briefed on the state of the industry, our airline, and our union. Your MEC unanimously passed a resolution directing ALPA National to study, develop, and implement a national seniority list. The issue will be discussed by the Board of Directors (all ALPA MEC’s) in October.

Your MEC also unanimously passed a resolution banning Kolsack from ever being granted a seniority number on the United Airline’s pilot seniority list. In the two months that SVP Operations Kolsack has been at United, he has re-instituted AMS, specifically and punitively targeted 320 and 300 First Officer’s use of sick leave, banned NRSA travel for dependents while on SL, considered cancelling the OTL Safety Seminar, cancelled installation of the secondary barrier, questioned Captain’s authority through an FODM, re-staffed the FODM and Flight Manager positions with First Officers, and denied your contractual right for Vacation Drops.

Make no mistake that Kolsack has been hired to restructure Flight Operations with a purely economic goal. Recently, he held a Q and A in ORD Flight Operations and told his pilot audience that “we are going to work on quality of life for you guys”; said that the lawsuit was “only directed at four pilots and not ALPA”; and continued to say that “when things got tough at Delta, I left because I wanted to be something more than just an airline pilot.” In baseball terms, we would say this dude just struck out!

We are opposed to United management’s consideration to cancel the On The Line Safety Seminar. We fundamentally disagree with this management team’s assertion that safety is too expensive at United.

We are opposed to United management’s decision to cancel the installation of secondary barriers. We fundamentally disagree with this management team’s assertion that security is too expensive at United.

We are opposed to AMS, prejudice on SL doctor’s note to the 320 and 300 fleet, pilot pushing, and challenging Captain’s authority.

We are opposed to First Officer FODM’s, as the FODM is the ONLY safety buffer between financial and operational (safety) decisions. The FODM is also the only certificated person in the operational division. No other person (C.S., routers, OPBCM) has any “legal” skin in the game. Is a First Officer who is interested in pleasing his and keeping his cushy management position going to be willing to stand up to these other players as they try to bully pilots and make the operation run on less than a shoestring? Are your interests (safety, legality, contract, etc…) going to be protected by these new cheaper FODM’s?

Recently, you received a Did You Know (DYK) addressing fatigue. This DYK includes the science on fatigue, our FOM policy, and the proper use of fatigue policy. On the issue of SL, please refer to a recent MEC update where the Master Chairman delineates the FAR’s and the AIM on this issue. Remember: The company CANNOT order you to fly sick, fatigued, or on your days off! The company CANNOT order you to accept JRM/SRM, nor can they order you to waive any of the 34 sections of the contract that require pilot concurrence! PERIOD! Flight Operations management has repeatedly stated that you are not to fly if you are legitimately sick or fatigued.

We will update you on the re-alignment of the Domicile Flight Office staffing, FODMs, etc. as these issues continue develop.

During United’s Q2 filing, Glenn, Brace, and Tague decided to write down goodwill from the balance sheet. It is evident that this company’s management does not value goodwill. While we already knew this, putting it in economic terms makes it crystal clear that your goodwill is not recognized by this corporation.

We all know that this pilot, and employee group, has a tremendous amount of goodwill toward our corporation, our customers, and each other. We all know that this goodwill is reserved for a competent management team, and not for this pack of buffoons whose only interest is in managing a balance sheet. They have no earthly idea how to operationally run an airline. Frankly, the operation runs solely because of the professionalism of its pilots, and other employees.

Kolsack’s recent letter announcing his A:14 Recognition Program is another indication of our carpetbagger management mentality. Management’s disconnect is laughable! This pilot group has been enticed with money, Jeeps, watches, pens, books, and other incentives to perform at management’s behest. Now, we are being offered a BP6A. Wow, now we’re talkin’! Ladies and Gentlemen of C12: we do our jobs one, and only one, way. We are held to a standard that no other employee group is held. We do our jobs the same way, regardless of economic incentives. We do our jobs as mandated by federal law, period! We are professional aviators, not a marketing tool. When this management realizes that meaningful recognition commensurate to our meaningful sacrifice is acknowledged, then, and only then, are we willing to listen to their rhetoric. Kolsack’s letter says: “We all have a role to play in the success of United.” He is correct. United pilots have been playing that role at the tune of $1.2B++ per year in concessions, and a 30 year history of safety. We are doing our part, and doing it better than any manager. Meaningful recognition means addressing our QWL and meaningful discussions about the improvements to out CBA. Until then Kolsack can keep his BP6-A’s.

Just recently, your Master Chairman, Capt. Steve Wallach wrote a letter to Acting FAA Administrator, Robert Sturgell. In it, Capt. Wallach calls on Mr. Sturgell to hold UAL management accountable and responsible for focusing on the economics of the airline, at the expense of safety, security, and the health of its pilot group.

In the month of July we have had ten engine failures. The 737 Asst. CP sent an enote to 737 pilots stating: “…be prepared to use your simulator training”. Are you kidding us? Instead of committing to solve the systemic problems that potentially jeopardize our safety and lives, the best they can come up with is basically “be ready for anything, anytime, ‘cause we ain’t gonna fix it!”

This outrageous acknowledgment of a safety deficiency is reprehensible. Pilots have become the safety net of this corporation. Do not allow anyone outside of the cockpit to influence your professional judgment.

Recently, UAL reported on an SEC filing that they were cancelling the order of 42 A320’s. This is proof positive that this management team has no long term plan. This will cost us $91M in forfeited deposits. Does Glenn have a death wish for this corporation?

The Master Chairman put UAL on notice to withdraw from the TTWOF LOA. While some pilots have benefited from this, in its current form, the company benefits from it exponentially. Furthermore, the company changes the operational metrics from seat, fleet, and domicile on an almost daily basis, to suit its needs and screw you out of a decent TTWOF program.

On a positive note, the Council 12 Family Outing was a success. Even with the last minute change in the date, there were no unused tickets. Thanks to everyone that took an evening to share camaraderie with other ALPA brothers, sisters, friends, and families.

Finally, the Furlough Mitigation LOA produced 49 pilot requests for Voluntary Furlough and 49 pilot requests for Special Leave of Absence.

Remember, safety at all times.

Fraternally and in Unity

He left Delta because he wanted to be more than a pilot?? Really??? Almost as classic as when he said we were recalling the furloughees because "it's the right thing to do". Good old inaugural joe.

A good update over all. I think that's great that they banned him from getting a seniority number. Our DO over here has been trying to get qualified in the airplane for over a year now, and nobody will sign him off.

One thing that ticks me off a bit is that UAL ALPA is all of the sudden all about a national seniority list. With their guys facing the street and their company's future uncertain, OF COURSE it's in their best interest to do so, but a year ago they wouldn't even given the thought the time of day.

On the "inaugural" thing. We started service to TLV and Joe, completely out of seniority, got a 777 type rating in order to fly captain on the inaugural flight.

A good update over all. I think that's great that they banned him from getting a seniority number. Our DO over here has been trying to get qualified in the airplane for over a year now, and nobody will sign him off.

One thing that ticks me off a bit is that UAL ALPA is all of the sudden all about a national seniority list. With their guys facing the street and their company's future uncertain, OF COURSE it's in their best interest to do so, but a year ago they wouldn't even given the thought the time of day.

The key problem with pilots. Not until it benefits ME.

Well, maybe this will be a more-useful post ... a ying and yang thing.

United Names Former USAF Thunderbird As VP of Flight Operations
Thu, 14 Aug '08

Howard Attarian Tasked With Coordinating Flight Standards

United Airlines announced this week that Howard Attarian has been named vice president of Flight Operations. In this role, Attarian will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of United's Flight Operations division, including pilot domiciles, flight standards and flight technical.

"Captain Attarian brings more than three decades of aviation experience to United, including many years in ALPA leadership positions, making him well suited to lead our 6,600 professional aviators," said Joe Kolshak, senior vice president-Operations for United. "Howard's past experience will be an asset to us as we continue to build our company's competitive position in this economic environment."

Attarian joins United after serving as a pilot for Northwest Airlines for 23 years. Throughout Attarian's career at Northwest he served in several officer positions with the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA), where he played a key leadership role in contract negotiations.

Most recently, Attarian served for eight years as the executive administrator to the president of the Air Line Pilots Association International, where he led several projects to merge ALPA's six pilot groups, as well as serving as a key adviser in the collective bargaining negotiations for Northwest, Delta, Alaska, US Airways and United.

Attarian is also a highly decorated and retired commissioned officer and aviator in the US Air Force. He was once a pilot on the renowned US Air Force "Thunderbirds Demonstration Squadron."

Attarian will assume his role September 1, and will report to Kolshak. He will be based at United's operations center in suburban Chicago.

Hm. . .he lead several projects to merge ALPA's Six pilot groups?

What. . .huh. . .?

I wouldn't expect the UAL MEC to decide to just give up their drive to get Glenny boy out.

Hm. . .he lead several projects to merge ALPA's Six pilot groups?

What. . .huh. . .?

I wouldn't expect the UAL MEC to decide to just give up their drive to get Glenny boy out.

I'm not exactly sure what that doofus Kolshak is referring to with the merger stuff either, but Attarian was a good guy. He was Duane's handpicked right hand man for his entire administration. Guess going back to flying the line didn't appeal to him too much and he decided to go into management. Hopefully Kolshak won't manage to corrupt him too badly.

I'm gonna ask Smokin' Joe what hath you been Smokin'?
I must be the greatest, 23 years old and not a mark on my face!

Wait... this isn't the movie quiz section.

How would a national seniority list work anyhow? Would they just take all the pilots, call them "Hired", and give them a seniority number based on age? Or your first 121 job? Date you joined a union, or date you joined ALPA. My head hurts thinking how they'd organize it.

Note: BTW, wasn't around the first time they talked about a national seniority list so I'm a little uneducated on the subject.

If he was Worthless's lackey, and accepted a job from Kokomo Joe in management, he's already corrupted beyond redemption.

I can't believe some of you still call Duane "woerthless" after having seen the true worthlessness of Prater for the past two miserable years. Duane was a god compared to this incompetent buffoon.

I'm not a Woerth fan because he pretty much sat on his hands during the great fall of the airline industry. But then I'm also not a Prater fan either as it seems like he was a single-issue dude.

Personally, I think Seggy would be a great ALPA national chair.

Back