Oh Skywest

BCCFH5GCPFFFHB73VOSLUVG7GY.gif

I'll bet one of the Mainline carriers is helping push this along. Ultimately they know that they have a supply problem and that this is how you keep the entire Regional model alive. New hires start at Regionals flying under 135. That gets people from 250 to 1500.

The irony is that we've now seen the Regionals go full circle. They started with small turboprops and the size of the planes kept getting larger. Now they're shrinking again. Honestly I'd be perfectly ok with 76 seaters being absorbed back to Mainline and all of the Regionals shrinking to 30 seat planes.

Also ok with this. As long as they wipe the mainline carrier name off the side while they do it. “Make regionals regional again” should be the rallying cry. The current “regionals” are doing the same job as major airlines with the same passengers for substandard pay and safety.

I guess I don't understand the economics of this. Most of the CRJ-200's are old and expensive to maintain, and that's not even accounting for the fuel costs. Would these be used primarily for Essential Air Service routes, where there might be a government or municipal subsidy?

Maybe my company could excavate a few Metros from the desert. If you've survived the Metro, you can probably fly anything.

You know I've come to the conclusion that quality of hours is more important than quantity. When I got my first 121 job the requirements were 500TT 100 ME, no one in our class had over 1000hrs and everyone passed the airline training. More recently I went through 121 hiring again and this time the minimums were 1500hrs, I don't have exact numbers but a good portion of the class washed out. I'd say the difficulty of training was roughly the same between the two airlines. So no, doing 1500hrs of traffic watch or whatever VFR job people are doing to get to ATP mins is not going to guarantee you're a better pilot.

I personally think this 135 charter idea is smart, they're able to recall retired captains, easing up on the captain shortage and able to get new FOs in the door, they can build time 135 and then switch to the 121 side once they reach ATP mins. Essentially they are pairing green FOs with very experienced captains. To my understanding the 135 pilots will be held to the same 121 standards and will undergo the exact same training and fly the exact same procedures as the 121 side of things. Also my understanding a lot of this 135 flying will be EAS routes and other airports that are limited to 30 seat aircraft.

You know I've come to the conclusion that quality of hours is more important than quantity. When I got my first 121 job the requirements were 500TT 100 ME, no one in our class had over 1000hrs and everyone passed the airline training. More recently I went through 121 hiring again and this time the minimums were 1500hrs, I don't have exact numbers but a good portion of the class washed out. I'd say the difficulty of training was roughly the same between the two airlines. So no, doing 1500hrs of traffic watch or whatever VFR job people are doing to get to ATP mins is not going to guarantee you're a better pilot.

I personally think this 135 charter idea is smart, they're able to recall retired captains, easing up on the captain shortage and able to get new FOs in the door, they can build time 135 and then switch to the 121 side once they reach ATP mins. Essentially they are pairing green FOs with very experienced captains. To my understanding the 135 pilots will be held to the same 121 standards and will undergo the exact same training and fly the exact same procedures as the 121 side of things. Also my understanding a lot of this 135 flying will be EAS routes and other airports that are limited to 30 seat aircraft.
No.

So... no seniority list too? This is just sounding better and better.

Your avatar makes this statement make sense.

Back