Oh Mesa!

Interesting. I'd say "how would simply having a fake airline ID get you free flights on Spirit", but then I remember showing up to the Sun Country counter at MSP and handing over my ID asking to list, expecting to pay a $50 service fee as a non-crew Skywest employee and being told "Oh, don't worry about it". Then once I'm already home, I notice my boarding pass said "AL" instead of "OO" next to my employee number. I look that up and it belongs to @Derg's old carrier Skyway...who had gone out of business about 3 years prior. I called the company Travel Center to let them know in case they ever came after me for it, and they basically just said "Wow, lucky you!".

While I applaud your initiative, believe me when I say no good deed goes unpunished.
Well at that place specifically, I had toured the HQ and Travel Center and heard stories of what gets people fired, so it wasn't so much a good deed as I was directly told that if you report something like that and it's on record then you'll be OK.

An example being that if you were not Delta dedicated, you could only fly on Delta flights operated by Skywest electronically for free, but not mainline. The system didn't know the difference, and we all had Delta log-ins, so anyone could technically list, check in, and be on-loaded. But if you did this not knowing any better and then admitted it, they would just bill you for the ID90 and you weren't in any trouble unless you repeatedly did it and it was obvious you knew better but couldn't be bothered to buy the ID90 and list the proper way. If you didn't admit it and got caught via audit or someone snitching, then you at best lost your travel privileges for at least 6 months to 1 year, or could be fired.

In my case, the error was on the part of Sun Country and they were the ones out money, so my employer didn't care to collect the $50.

Last edited:
Anyone still work at Mesa? I know a guy who I can't believe isn't involved in this scam, I assume he must have left the company. Just need a yes/no on a name.

If you more talking about what chasen said bad listing on DL dedicated vs non dedicated, they did a few years back. Non dedicated would get an error trying to list on mainline.
(1) No, I am not.
(2) I am quite aware of that:
Code:
YPASS RIDER NOT AUTHORIZED FOR FLIGHT
"I'm trying for the jumpseat"
"Too bad!"

Interesting. I'd say "how would simply having a fake airline ID get you free flights on Spirit", but then I remember showing up to the Sun Country counter at MSP and handing over my ID asking to list, expecting to pay a $50 service fee as a non-crew Skywest employee and being told "Oh, don't worry about it". Then once I'm already home, I notice my boarding pass said "AL" instead of "OO" next to my employee number. I look that up and it belongs to @Derg's old carrier Skyway...who had gone out of business about 3 years prior. I called the company Travel Center to let them know in case they ever came after me for it, and they basically just said "Wow, lucky you!".

Funny you mention this,I had a very similar experience years ago. Told the counter agent I was with Mesa and was also expecting to be charged the $50 fee. Didn’t notice it until I was on the plane,but he listed me as Mesaba (XJ) and not Mesa (YV). I believe they had a station agreement at the time. Can’t confirm that though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Funny you mention this,I had a very similar experience years ago. Told the counter agent I was with Mesa and was also expecting to be charged the $50 fee. Didn’t notice it until I was on the plane,but he listed me as Mesaba (XJ) and not Mesa (YV). I believe they had a station agreement at the time. Can’t confirm that though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
LOL so that is the 3rd story like that I know of from Sun Country, my friend who was a Southwest ramper(years before they flew to MSP, mind you, so it was probably rare they showed up to the counter) was listed as Northwest and told "Don't worry about it". I've come to the conclusion that Sun Country didn't audit these things LOL.

Back