Oh SFO tower

It’d more “funny” (for us…not for the customers) if he’d said “since you asshats can’t get it right, we’re going to SJC”

"I'm headed to the 408, we OUT!"

I'm curious about putting a heavy into position with an airplane on short(-ish) final. You can push up the thrust levers on the 350, break out the tea set, take a couple gulps, eat half a crumpet and then bring them to the TOGA detent.

I'm curious about putting a heavy into position with an airplane on short(-ish) final. You can push up the thrust levers on the 350, break out the tea set, take a couple gulps, eat half a crumpet and then bring them to the TOGA detent.

I like big fans and I can not lie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s French not British. I think you mean you have time to smoke a thin cigarette.

Alright, SFO tower is getting out of hand. Not her this time. But I agree with the United rant.

It’s getting ridiculous.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DrRGde5J8mo&pp=ygULdmFzYXZpYXRpb24%3D
Yeah they're super desensitized to go arounds during 28/28 ops. I can't even tell you how many times I've seen 5-7 go-arounds in a couple of hours of that set up. They get tired of the gate hold and long lines so when norcal just keeps doing their job and sending in the traffic at minimal intervals, they start running risky squeeze plays and telling the pilots "Tell NorCal to ease up the spacing so we can get departures out". SFO is an interesting place. Gotta break some knee caps and operate in the grey to keep it running.

Do they not have the same (mostly good natured) shaming going on when someone calls for a go around? I had one ATC-caused one in my time in the tower and people acted like I kicked a dog and ran over a baby.
Oh they do if it's ATC error and not much is going on for sure. But to be honest, for every 1 ATC error go around at SFO, there are probably 3 or 4 where someone either decides to come to a dead stop on a runway and take a 90 degree turn, someone takes 10+ seconds to start the roll after saying they could accept an immediate in exchange for being cleared to line up and wait, NorCal leaving guys high over the bridge, RAs on final, etc. It was pretty rare that I DIDN'T see a go around during any ramp tower shift regardless of weather and how little I was paying attention to the world outside my domain, and I mean every day for years lol. SFO is truly unlike any other airport I've ever watched operations at and the rope to hang yourself with ATC wise is pretty damn long if you aren't a probie. OAK and SJC have plenty of folks who used to mic up at SFO on probation at one point tho lol.

I remember one of my first remotes of a WN 737 in OAK at like 330AM tuning into OAK ground and hearing the voice of a dude I was really cool with at SFO who I never heard mic up again after causing a nose-to-nose that led to a 2 hour groundstop (impressive, really and I mean that) and hitting him with a big fat "AHOY". He was like "Wow, what are you doing here, man?". "...basically same as you".

Then flying in a few months later in a 172 and him saying "Man haven't heard you in a while". "The downward spiral continues mi amigo".

LOL :(

Last edited:
I went around once because I got a late switch to tower and when we tuned in there was a widebody dingleberry ranting at tower about how unacceptable it was that they had to wait to take off for their flight to wherever. They were whining so much I got to 200 above and still didn't have a landing clearance. So.... around we go.

Tower seemed surprised and asked the reason and I said "I never got a landing clearance because <Air Line> wouldn't shut up.

The tower controller said "for future reference if Norcal sequences you in here you can assume you're cleared to land."

Thanks but...

1. I ain't gonna be the one to test that theory under fire.

2. The real takeaway here is that I'm willing to practice my go around technique, make extra money, burn Chip's gas, and maybe even make the news these days just to throw shade at widebody dingleberries.

Having operated through SFO 4 times in the last 6 days, yeah. I noticed that when they start to squeeze, they tell aircraft in Line Up and Wait to push the power up, say whatever else they say, then clear the aircraft for takeoff all as one long string without unkeying the mic. Totally standard phraseology.

I went around once because I got a late switch to tower and when we tuned in there was a widebody dingleberry ranting at tower about how unacceptable it was that they had to wait to take off for their flight to wherever. They were whining so much I got to 200 above and still didn't have a landing clearance. So.... around we go.

Tower seemed surprised and asked the reason and I said "I never got a landing clearance because <Air Line> wouldn't shut up.

The tower controller said "for future reference if Norcal sequences you in here you can assume you're cleared to land."

Thanks but...

1. I ain't gonna be the one to test that theory under fire.

2. The real takeaway here is that I'm willing to practice my go around technique, make extra money, burn Chip's gas, and maybe even make the news these days just to throw shade at widebody dingleberries.

“THIS IS A COMMERCIAL AIRPORT!” :)

Yikes. I get the frustration, sometimes taxi fuel can be planned pretty tight without moving things around and waiting on people taking forever to do touch and goes can make it a little “edgy” when you’re watching it burn down to min takeoff fuel. But uhhh… there’s gotta be a better way for everyone involved to handle that.

Five bucks sez that was an angry cappy.

"Commercial airport?" Hmmmm, let me take a look in the AIM and see if that's defined anywhere.

First come, first served. Deal with it.

Back