Official new okc per diem rules!!

JT ATC

PLEASE see post 13 for the correct (as of today, who knows about tomorrow) housing rules. CJ

Ok, I went to student services today and finance. (Student services is VERY happy I'm posting this). Here is what the new rules are for all students starting class AFTER OCT 1, 2008.

You do NOT have to stay if FAA housing.

You do NOT have to use the government credit card program. I repeat, it is NOT mandatory! This program was going to be made mandatory, but they decided against it. It is now OPTIONAL.

The whole point of the govt credit card idea is to help out the people who found places requiring a deposit or payments up front, are crappy at budgeting, etc.
If you choose to use this program, then you will need to find a place, send the info to the email address, and those people and student services will take care of all of your rent. You never have to worry about getting receipts for lodging, etc. You will still file a travel voucher after 15 days at the academy, then monthly afterward (this is a new rule, used to be able to choose whether you filed every 15 days or monthly). YOU WILL STILL RECIEVE $30.40/DAY FOR MEALS AND INCIDENTALS!!

If you don't want to use this program, then you just find a place like normal, file your travel voucher like normal (first time 15th day at the academy, then monthly afterwards), and you will receive the full $80.40/day.

Hope this clears up all of your confusion, and you don't have to call student services about it anymore. They've been bombarded with calls about this.

GQ007

Thanks for the heads up JT...So much back and forth, looks like I'll be making changes once again:crazy:

GQ007

WOW

Just got off the phone with student services to opt out of the government card program and was told it was NOT optional (there's only that exception if a place does not accept credit cards) and the rules that are posted on their website is what they are going by but she was also quick to add "things do change often around here" and to check the website for updates... I'm just going to wait it out until the dust settles on this one

seahawker12

OK I have a couple of questions about this whole per diem thing. First of all, if you don't take the credit card, do they just give you $80 cash every day? Seems kind of odd to me why they would do that, but it would be a great way to walk out of there with a little extra cash!! Secondly, If you take the credit card and you don't use the full $30 and change for food every day, does that end up rolling over every day? What if I want to go grocery shopping or something? SO MANY QUESTIONS!!:panic::panic::panic:

SkierMatt

ok i have a couple of questions about this whole per diem thing. First of all, if you don't take the credit card, do they just give you $80 cash every day? Seems kind of odd to me why they would do that, but it would be a great way to walk out of there with a little extra cash!! Secondly, if you take the credit card and you don't use the full $30 and change for food every day, does that end up rolling over every day? What if i want to go grocery shopping or something? So many questions!!:panic::panic::panic:

search function!

teetee

Only if that FAA approved apt does NOT accept Credit Cards (they all do). I just spoke with student services. If you find a place outside of FAA housing and they do accept CC, you have to pay with CC and get $30.60 in per diem each day. If they don't accept credit cards, you then can request the per diem 15 days after you get there and it will take up to 2 weeks to get that money (but you could walk away with more money).

They did this to help the people with rent...they won't have to wait almost a month for the first per diem payment to help with rent. You still have to wait for the remain 30.60 you get for food and expenses. The FAA will pay up to $49. (maybe it was 49.50) per day with the cc payment for whatever place you choose. If the place is more than that amount, you will be required to pay the remaining amount yourself. If it is less, you still only get the 30.60.

JT ATC

Everybody, do me a favor. When you call student services, get the name of the person and PM me with that and what they said. They need to get their act together since it seems different people are saying different things. I'll get this crap cleared up for u guys.

I was told face to face that it the credit card program is completely optional now. Even if you stay in FAA housing.

cp64152

Everybody, do me a favor. When you call student services, get the name of the person and PM me with that and what they said. They need to get their act together since it seems different people are saying different things. I'll get this crap cleared up for u guys.

I was told face to face that it the credit card program is completely optional now. Even if you stay in FAA housing.
JT--You are awesome for trying to straighten this out! It's hard to know what the best choices are for those of us not in OKC since everyone is posting different "facts". Please keep us updated on any further findings. You rock! :rawk:

Ryballz

Lol our class was told this morning by Christine (I think) that it is mandatory if your place will take a CC.

JT ATC

Ok, I'm actually sitting in Student Services right now typing this out. I have the regulation sitting in front of me. The information I was given yesterday is INCORRECT. The lady apologized to me as soon as I walked in today. Here are the actual rules:

These instructions and guidelines are effective for students with class start dates on or after 10/01/08.

-You are NOT required to stay at FAA Housing. However, if you stay ANYWHERE THAT ACCEPTS CREDIT CARDS, you MUST forward your reservation information to ATCStudenthousing@faa.gov. Student services will then contact the lodger and take care of the payment for lodging. You will not need a receipt since you will NOT be claiming these costs on your travel reimbursement vouchers. You will receive $30.60/day for meals and incidentals. You may submit your initial travel voucher 15 days after arriving at the Academy and monthly thereafter.

-If you elect to stay with family or friends you will ONLY RECEIVE $30.60/day.

EXCEPTIONS (These are the ways to get the full $80.40/day)

-Your lodging provider does NOT accept credit cards, then you will not be included in the credit card payment process. You will receive $80.40/day regardless of your lodging costs.

-Basically, don't tell them you are staying with family and friends. Have them type up some sort of payment that you made (the required info will be told to you here).

-If you rent a room out from craigslist, etc then you WILL RECEIVE $80.40/day.

So, in a nutshell, if you want to keep the per diem, find a room to rent or a place that doesn't accept credit cards. Right now, I stay in a big studio apartment that is $37/day and he doesn't CURRENTLY accept credit cards. I will talk with my landlord tomorrow to find out if he plans on changing that.

Also, they were talking about making students move into lodging that did accept credit cards, but that was shot down (that is directly from the Boss of the person in charge at Student Services).

Hope this clears up everything guys. Kinda shaddy deal, but the per diem wasn't set up for students to profit (seriously, don't say that word when dealing with student services), it is designed to help students pay for lodging and meals.

And will a mod please edit my first post...for some reason I can't. Either move this to the top or just type "see Post 12" or something.

airkiwi

You rock for finding out in person; I keep re-reading the document, and every indication is that it IS optional. Hence the second part of the guidelines that state 'If your housing does not accept credit cards'

JT ATC

If you guys need anymore info, just PM me and I'll do my best to find out the answer for you. I'm here til Dec 8th.

SQuirell88

Fellas,

I have made a reservation at Walnut Gardens [who takes credit cards] and gave ATC housing my housing confirmation number.

So at this point I was expecting them to use the govt credit card to pay my lodging.

However, today I received an e-mail from ATC Housing asking my preference:

You have the option to use your personal credit card for commercial lodging and receive a daily long term rate of $80.40.

OR

FAA can guarantee your reservation with a Government credit card and you’ll receive a daily rate of $30.60 for meals and incidentals. (As noted in the website instructions.)

Please let me know your preference. Thank you

I choose to use my personal credit card. Just wanted y'all to know that I did receive a choice even though I thought we didn't have a choice unless the place didn't take a credit card.

GQ007

Got that e-mail yesterday and replied with the same choice even though I'm booked in a 1-bedroom at Fairways for the first 3 weeks and a 2-bedroom the remainder of the time, hopefully this is the new rule and not a case-by-case scenario

Svirf

OK I have a couple of questions about this whole per diem thing. First of all, if you don't take the credit card, do they just give you $80 cash every day? Seems kind of odd to me why they would do that, but it would be a great way to walk out of there with a little extra cash!! Secondly, If you take the credit card and you don't use the full $30 and change for food every day, does that end up rolling over every day? What if I want to go grocery shopping or something? SO MANY QUESTIONS!!:panic::panic::panic:
Hey, the way it worked...things are changing...was you would find housing and pay for it yourself along with food etc. You would then turn in your housing receipt and eventually get that 80 bucks for your housing/food per diem. They don't give it to you as cash...just another deposit into your bank account every month. The money is tax free though. With this new gov't card system..you won't get an actual card. They just transfer your reservation from being on your credit card number to being on their credit card number. Right now, basically your lodging will be paid for by them and you don't need any receipts, but you still get the ~30 a day for food. That will just be a check/deposit you get after you fill out the necessary paper work etc. They line you out on it all you first day of class so don't sweat it too much...just plan on getting at least the 30 bucks.

On another note...

I also got that same email about which option I wanted to choose guys...I don't know how its going to pan out though. The only thing I can think is maybe they did not plan this new thing out well enough and now are overwhelmed and trying to offload some of the people. Actually, just checked my email and got this response...

You don't need to do anything. The Travel office has been notified and you will be able to voucher for $80.40 per day if you have proof of lodging, with your name on it.

So I guess I am back on the old system...don't know why, but I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

aggie_atc

Hey, the way it worked...things are changing...was you would find housing and pay for it yourself along with food etc. You would then turn in your housing receipt and eventually get that 80 bucks for your housing/food per diem. They don't give it to you as cash...just another deposit into your bank account every month. The money is tax free though. With this new gov't card system..you won't get an actual card. They just transfer your reservation from being on your credit card number to being on their credit card number. Right now, basically your lodging will be paid for by them and you don't need any receipts, but you still get the ~30 a day for food. That will just be a check/deposit you get after you fill out the necessary paper work etc. They line you out on it all you first day of class so don't sweat it too much...just plan on getting at least the 30 bucks.

On another note...

I also got that same email about which option I wanted to choose guys...I don't know how its going to pan out though. The only thing I can think is maybe they did not plan this new thing out well enough and now are overwhelmed and trying to offload some of the people. Actually, just checked my email and got this response...

You don't need to do anything. The Travel office has been notified and you will be able to voucher for $80.40 per day if you have proof of lodging, with your name on it.

So I guess I am back on the old system...don't know why, but I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.
WTF!!!:banghead:

Znyatc

Do we get the locality on top of the base pay while we are there or is it only when we get to our facility?