nyc

triple7

Hey guys
I know i have asked this before, but Ia m heading up to long island this weekend for my long commercial x-c. I am departing Leesburg VA(kjyo) and going to land at Kfrg(republic). my flight plan will take me up over philly, on top of jfk, then direct to my destination. i will be ifr. I do however want to fly that scenic visual corridor near the stat of lib and nyc. anyone have any idea how i can get that route while maintaining my ifr clearance. i know i can ask and will probably have to cancel ifr while in the corridor, but anyway to get back on with a clearance when i exit. Anyonw done this, and also, if i go vfr through there what are the procedures as far as who to talk to, where it ends, etc. ive got the sectional, but would like to hear from someone who knows. and has done it.

Use that thing you had to know about for your instrument rating. A composite flight plan. File IFR to a fix on one side of the corridor, VFR through the corridor, and pick up IFR again on at a fix on the other side.

damn, i forgot about that. good idea. ill see what i can do to figure that one out. might take some asking around to sort it all out, but great idea.

You will almost certainly need a New York TAC chart, the sectional probably isn't detailed enough. On the TAC or in the A/FD there is a description of the corridor (route, altitude, etc.). File a composite flight plan as suggested. On initial contact with New York Approach, advise you'd like to fly the Hudson River Corridor VFR then resume your IFR to Republic. They should be able to work with you. I haven't done it before but remember reading about it ... it has been a long time though. Good luck!

Russ

sounds good...lets hope for good weather. i am gonna formulate a plan and then sort it out with the briefer at fss. thanks for the advice. anyone been out to montauk(kmtk?)

If you want to maintian your squawk code and stay wiht approach you can expect to be cleared direct Colts Neck VOR and the north to the Verizano bridge. If you want to stay with apporach however and stay out of the exclusion zone you will have to fly higher up the Hudson than the VFR guys who are below 1100'. You will most probably be handed off to Newark tower and then from there to LGA tower at or above 1500, I have heard of some folks who are assigned 3000' and the view isnt as cool from up there. Once you are farther north, LGA tower will probably vector you back enroute..

Have fun and take pics..

Definitely do the Hudson River VFR corridor; it's one of the most scenic flights you can do in the USA. There's a post about it right now in the technical forum, take a look at it.

Back