Now What?

IceDurg

So let me give you a little Background. Im an 18 year old flight attendant for a regional airline. My goal is to fly, but my parents don't have satisfactory credit to take out a loan, and there is noone else that can cosign a loan.I started flying in high school but after I graduated it got too expensive.I really hate being a male flight attendant, seeing pilots walk around and talking about flying is just depressing. It seems as if there is nothing else I can do. College is too expensive and would be cheaper if i had my tickets and ratings. Working and saving isn't too realistic on a flight attendants salary, and things are getting more expensive, i'm wasting time, and prices are getting higher. I have no rich uncles or grandparents,what am i gonna do?:banghead::confused::(

That's a tough situation there. How close are you to finishing your PPL? If you could knock that out you could then split time with a friend and cut your costs in half. I started flying when I was 18 as well It's not too late, you have a lot of time to get into this. Is a second job optional? I'm thinking of that after I get my commercial ticket so I can afford the Multi and CFI-I and MEI..I don't really know..maybe you could work part time at an FBO in exchange for flight time.

I mean my schedule is pretty crazy i only see home maybe 6 or 7 days out of the month so...

Yeah I've talked to some FA's and their schedules seem to be pretty random and busy...Not really the best job when trying to fly. I guess you'd have to decide how serious you want to fly for a living..If it's worth it you'll make it work either by finding another job or getting it done in the little spare time you do have.

Its not a wanting it enough issue its a how am i gonna get it done issue. I know how seriously i want it, if i really didnt want to fly for a living im quite sure i wouldn't have made this account and asked online for help, in finding what i should do.

Well I can think of a couple options.

First, if this is really what you want to pursue then maybe you should quit the FA job and get a job at home with a more stable work schedule that would allow you to fly on your off time. If this is an option, it will take a while to get it done, but you wouldn't have to take out a huge loan.

Another option would be to join the military for a couple years. You could use the VA to pay 60% of everything past your PPL and you could pay for the other 40% with your paychecks from Uncle Sam. You could have everything done and paid for by time you get out of the military and have a few hundred hours instructing already. Trust me, you're young enough to serve a couple years and benefit from in tremendously.

Just FYI, I'm in the process of taking out a loan to start my commercial and work my way through the instructor ratings. My credit isn't bad, and I had my father co-sign the loan for me. He has FLAWLESS credit, and makes a pretty good living. The lending company is trying to give me a pretty bad interest rate IMO based on our credit scores/history (8%+LIBOR). That being said, even if you had someone to co-sign the loan for you, it may not be in your best interest to take out the loan.

I hope this is somewhat helpful. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

join the military... let them pay for your college and learn/get paid to fly. That or apply to become an air traffic controller. Its not flying but atleast its in the aviation career. They are hiring right now people "off the street" with no prior ATC experience. Hiring process is a bit long and the job is tough but if you can do it then you could be making 60k-100k in a few years based off of where you are working.

join the military... let them pay for your college and learn/get paid to fly. That or apply to become an air traffic controller. Its not flying but atleast its in the aviation career. They are hiring right now people "off the street" with no prior ATC experience. Hiring process is a bit long and the job is tough but if you can do it then you could be making 60k-100k in a few years based off of where you are working.
:yeahthat: thats the best thing to do - given the shaky economic situation. and besides you are still young so waiting a few years - and gaining some work/life experience in the mean time would not hurt any!

I have work/life experience already I've been working around planes since I was 15! This is something I have always wanted to do, and now it seems that its all falling apart...its to depressing to think about, can't eat,can't sleep....its just too much. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have work/life experience already I've been working around planes since I was 15! This is something I have always wanted to do, and now it seems that its all falling apart...its to depressing to think about, can't eat,can't sleep....its just too much. Thanks for all the suggestions.

No offense, but 3 years of work is hardly anything at all. What kinds of experience do you really have? Have you experienced college? Have you traveled? Outside of America? You don't need to rush into anything right now. If I were you, I'd either go into the military or enroll at a community college and start working on a degree.

I've always wanted to be a pilot too, but I've been working in South Korea for the last FOUR years saving money up so I won't have to take out a loan. And just when I thought I might be able to start training, the Korean currency lost 40% to the dollar, so now it looks like I have to continue to work here until the economy improves. Sure, the situation sucks, but I'm not going to get depressed about it. When I finally do start training, I'll appreciate it all the more so because of all the hard work that I did to put myself in that situation, without any loans.

wow... plenty of life/work experience at 18. wonder what you'll be like when you turn 28.

just like customx here.. i have always wanted to be a pilot. and growing up in India, I didn't have half as many opportunities that were/are available in this country. I went to school for software engineering - and am now 28 years old - but am still hopeful that in the next year or so, I will start my training and be on my way to becoming a career pilot.

Nothing is worth getting depressed about... just make a plan, and stick to that plan. work hard and your dreams will come true.

good luck and keep us posted!

im actually over 18 ,just said that because i dnt want certain people knowing who i am. Im actually 21.I have an associates degree in Business Technology from a community college, and a 2 yr tech degree in av operations that i got in HS. I have worked for 3 airlines in my life, ranging from ramp work at FBO's, to ramp controlling.

I could care less about your sob story from india, as college is mostly free there.And as for you in Seoul, thats why i would not join the military...just to work and save,thats what im doing now, and i dont want to risk my life on top of that.

im actually over 18 ,just said that because i dnt want certain people knowing who i am. Im actually 21.I have an associates degree in Business Technology from a community college, and a 2 yr tech degree in av operations that i got in HS. I have worked for 3 airlines in my life, ranging from ramp work at FBO's, to ramp controlling.

I could care less about your sob story from india, as college is mostly free there.And as for you in Seoul, thats why i would not join the military...just to work and save,thats what im doing now, and i dont want to risk my life on top of that.

Then why'd you come here asking for advice? Or did you just come here to whine about your situation? We've offered plenty of helpful advice it's up to you to do what you want, no need to get snippy with other people's "Sob stories" when we're just trying to help you out. That's fine though you obviously have it all figured out.

wow... good attitude in life, don't think a whiner/loser like you will get too far.

and i'd like to know, what college in India is free... I dont mind going back and getting another degree. and i'm not the one with the sob story, I have a plan and am working towards my goal - unlike you, with the sob story (and your great 3 years of work experience of course), who wants everything handed to him on a silver platter.

cheers... and do grow up and respect anothers view... you will find your life change a lot (definitely for the better!)

And as for you in Seoul, thats why i would not join the military...just to work and save,thats what im doing now, and i dont want to risk my life on top of that.

BTW, I'm not in the military, nor do I risk my life. I really enjoy my job here, so I don't feel like I'm just passing time, as you described. There is never a day where I wake up dreading going to work.

You asked for advice, and a few people have given it to you. There's no reason for you to come out and criticize us, just because you don't like what we have to say. Even at 21, or however old you are, you're still young enough to save up money and get started with your licenses. Make a plan, get a different job if you have to, live with roommates, scrimp and save...do whatever it is you need to do in order to accomplish your goals, but like Sunny said, don't expect to have everything handed to you on a silver platter.

You could also check with the airline you work for and see if they have some sort of program for flight attendants to become pilots. We have two flight attendants in our school right now that are training to be pilots. I haven't spoken with them about what the deal is. One is from Jet Blue and the other is from Northwest or one of the Northwest commuters.

So are you 18, 19 in the blog or 21?

My guess is there are not that many Compass FA's who live in BMI.

Amazing, simply amazing:mad: You ask for advice, then you attack those who offer suggestions. No one is going to go out of their way for you if keep that attitude, and I'm not talking about just on this forum.

Life is full of whiners, most of us just ignore them. You just made my ignore list.

Guess what, Scooter. A lot of us didn't have parents with money or loan cosigners, either. I bartended all night and most days, and flew as I could afford it. Took MAYBE one day off a month. Didn't sleep much for 2 years. But I got it done with minimal debt or parental help. And I'm not unique or special. These boards are full of people who have made similar sacrifices. Did I like bartending, driving a piece of crap car, and pretty much having no social life? NO! But at this stage in life, I'm glad I made the sacrifice. So stop pan-handling and get to work!

Back