Not sure if serious or satire...

Low&Slow

Ancora imparo

NASA Selling Space Shuttle & 747 To Embry-Riddle For Flight Training

DAYTONA BEACH, FL – NASA is making plans to move one of the space shuttles and 747 transport jets back to Florida. Daytona Beach International Airport will soon be home to a co-branded flight training program like no other.

Starting in 2020, students enrolled at the prestigious aeronautical university will be able to use student loans, grants, and other educational funds to get a glider rating in one of the original space shuttles and type rated in the Boeing 747 transport jet.

According to the admissions office at the university, the cost for these add-on ratings has not been finalized; however, Aviation Daily News was told that it could increase the total price of education from around $200,000 to upwards of $750,000. Three quarters of a million dollars is a bargain to get a Bachelor’s degree, single engine commercial rating, instrument rating, flight instructor certification, space shuttle glider rating and B-747 type rating with only 250 hours under your belt. The employment possibilities are endless.

Slots for this program are first come, first served so don’t delay. For more information call the Embry-Riddle office of admissions TODAY at
1-800-862-2416 or visit their website: erau.edu

When I graduated from Embry Riddle in December 2011, the running joke was when you recieved the piece of paper on stage it was the final invoice.

That site is the onion of aviation. Yet, sadly so many see it as accurate information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had friends (pilots, mechanics and engineers) who had one, or sometimes two, parents involved in the development of the Shuttle. I think it would be awesome to go to an adult summer camp and hang out talking with those folks, with a shuttle in the background on top of a 747, sitting around a campfire drinking beer on a summertime evening sounds like a great way to waste at least a few evenings.

I've had friends (pilots, mechanics and engineers) who had one, or sometimes two, parents involved in the development of the Shuttle. I think it would be awesome to go to an adult summer camp and hang out talking with those folks, with a shuttle in the background on top of a 747, sitting around a campfire drinking beer on a summertime evening sounds like a great way to waste at least a few evenings.
My oldest is 11, my youngest is 2. I’m just happy when I get to hang out at an airport while not being paid.

There's a good amount of "stuff" on the Internet. I'm a fan of one of the blogs by a flight controller. Wayne Hale was an ascent-phase Flight Director and later was launch integration manager for the Shuttle at KSC.

He had a blerg at NASA and still has his own personal blerg.

One of the things I admire(d) about NASA is the "tough and competent" attitude that their flight operations/mission operations parts aspired to. Hale failed to live up to his own standard, regarding Columbia:
P. S. A final, personal note: a worker at KSC told me that they haven’t heard any NASA managers admit to being at fault for the loss of Columbia. I cannot speak for others but let me set my record straight: I am at fault. If you need a scapegoat, start with me. I had the opportunity and the information and I failed to make use of it. I don’t know what an inquest or a court of law would say, but I stand condemned in the court of my own conscience to be guilty of not preventing the Columbia disaster. We could discuss the particulars: inattention, incompetence, distraction, lack of conviction, lack of understanding, a lack of backbone, laziness. The bottom line is that I failed to understand what I was being told; I failed to stand up and be counted. Therefore look no further; I am guilty of allowing Columbia to crash.
(That's from the above linked post on the Government blog.)

Or, for when they almost killed Eileen Collins:
I never said conversing with them would be a necessarily uplifting experience. They were doing dangerous things that hadn't been done before. If any aircraft with the safety record of the shuttle were to be presented for certification it would be denied. I'd still like to sit around a campfire and just listen to those involved talk without any restriction, I'm sure most of what they would say to each other would pass the top of my dumb head by about a mile, but I think I'd still enjoy it.

Back