Not necessarily looking for a career change, but question on Sport / light sport?

KeepinItLegal

With the proposal coming up in 2025/2026 on new sport pilot restrictions. (higher stalling speed/faster/heavier aircraft configurations) I assume this is going to pull more interest into sport/light sport. I am not a pilot, but do work within 121 And have possible interest in light sport in the future.

For those who are light sport certified or better yet, CFI-Sport, do you anticipate your job getting busier in the coming future with these changes, and what does compensation look like for you compared to a CFI-non sport.

Additionally, do you expect training aircraft to be different for you with the additional variety of aircraft being added to light sport via the upcoming changes?

I wouldn't expect CFI pay to be better for LSA. If I guy had one to free lance in and offer as a rental I think you could do okay but that's the same with larger aircraft, I think. Will be interesting to see what the new rules are.

For those who are light sport certified or better yet, CFI-Sport, do you anticipate your job getting busier in the coming future with these changes, and what does compensation look like for you compared to a CFI-non sport.

Additionally, do you expect training aircraft to be different for you with the additional variety of aircraft being added to light sport via the upcoming changes?

I don't expect much to change soon with MOSAIC. Light sports are great, but don't have much impact in the training world now for a few reasons. There aren't that many of them to begin with. The new ones cost as much as an older Cessna or Piper. And the low useful load limits you from teaching bigger/heavier students, or using bigger instructors, or both. And their certification is different - you can't just change the avionics later for example. So if it came with a XYZ corp NAV radio, you are pretty much stuck with that radio. Even when it isn't made anymore and you can't find one.

Whatever the new rules end up being, things will probably change. But I don't expect that change to be quick.

Back