Non-US Citizens Dispatching in the US

womanpilot73

Hey all...

I have a friend in the UK who desperately wants to work in the US. Are there any airlines that will sponsor an employee from another country?

Also, she is going to be marrying a US Citizen. I think the process for her to actually become a citizen takes a long period of time. Is it possible for her to get a dispatching job while "residing" in the US and in the naturalization process? I wonder about this because she won't technically be a US Citizen for quite a long time and our jobs are security sensitive positions. I don't think she can actually get a US Passport until she becomes a citizen. ???

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance :)

You don't need a US passport to dispatch, or any passport for that matter... I know people dispatching who have Indian passports. But, its highly unlikely any airline is going to sponsor their employment.

CPZ9900 said:
You don't need a US passport to dispatch, or any passport for that matter... I know people dispatching who have Indian passports. But, its highly unlikely any airline is going to sponsor their employment.

I was thinking of the passport because at my last job, my fam ride was to PIK and in a few weeks I'll be going to HEL with my new job. I suppose if she went to a regional, it would be a non-issue. Does a major require a passport?

Hey all...

I have a friend in the UK who desperately wants to work in the US. Are there any airlines that will sponsor an employee from another country?

Also, she is going to be marrying a US Citizen. I think the process for her to actually become a citizen takes a long period of time. Is it possible for her to get a dispatching job while "residing" in the US and in the naturalization process? I wonder about this because she won't technically be a US Citizen for quite a long time and our jobs are security sensitive positions. I don't think she can actually get a US Passport until she becomes a citizen. ???

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance :)
One of my friends from IFOD is in the same limbo. What makes it even worse is he is from Iran, so I can only imagine how much BS he must have gone through just to get the school visa...

I was thinking of the passport because at my last job, my fam ride was to PIK and in a few weeks I'll be going to HEL with my new job. I suppose if she went to a regional, it would be a non-issue. Does a major require a passport?

We had to have a passport to be enrolled in CASS. Other than that I don't think it's a requirement. Citizenship is not a requirement either as far as I know, but if the person does not have a green card of their own, it's very unlikely she would find an airline willing to sponsor her. She would have to pass a 10-year background check, that seems to be a pretty universal requirement.

If she wants to move to the US, her best option is by marriage. It's the fastest way. A company sponsoring a foreigner for an H1 work visa takes much longer. Among other things, The company has to demonstrate that they can't find a qualified US citizen. She then spends 5-8 years on a work visa, before possibly getting a green card. Then five more years for citizenship. This is a separate and generally a less favourable route to citizenship.

When she is married, she can qualify for a green card immediately, and processing takes only 6-24 months. Then three years for citizenship. She can also qualify for a K1 visa to move to the US to get married. She can only get a US passport when she becomes a US citizen, but she'll still have her British passport to travel. (There are some complications, she needs to keep a record of every time she enters and exits the country, along with the reason why).

As for employment, with a green card it is theoretically very easy. It's illegal for a potential employer to ask her immigration status, only if she is legally permitted to work in the US (With the exception of jobs requiring a security clearance). She would answer yes, just the same as a US citizen. Of course, there are companies which do discriminate, and I have handled this by not working for them. She will be able to get a social security card and US drivers licence.

Coming from the UK is actually a huge advantage. Americans generally love English people, and we are generally looked on favourably in an in-person interview.

At a US regional, you need a passport for CASS. However, it need not be in American one as long as you are a legal US resident.

In my time dispatching, I only know of one dispatcher that was sponsored by an airline. The airline used it as an excuse to treat him badly.

In general, I dont agree with sponsoring people to dispatch. If you come to the US through other channels, I say welcome aboard. There are many Americans with dispatch licenses either looking for work and cant get interviews or unable due to life circumstances to take a pay cut to get regional experience. Work visas are meant for industries where talent is limited or for people that have special talent. If a dispatcher from a foreign airline that had experience applied, I would support that kind of sponsorship but I think sponsoring foreign workers with no dispatch experience serves to keep wages low if airlines did try it on a frequent basis. Dispatch wages are already too low for the knowledge and responsibility we have.

NickH said:
If she wants to move to the US, her best option is by marriage. It's the fastest way. A company sponsoring a foreigner for an H1 work visa takes much longer. Among other things, The company has to demonstrate that they can't find a qualified US citizen. She then spends 5-8 years on a work visa, before possibly getting a green card. Then five more years for citizenship. This is a separate and generally a less favourable route to citizenship.

When she is married, she can qualify for a green card immediately, and processing takes only 6-24 months. Then three years for citizenship. She can also qualify for a K1 visa to move to the US to get married. She can only get a US passport when she becomes a US citizen, but she'll still have her British passport to travel. (There are some complications, she needs to keep a record of every time she enters and exits the country, along with the reason why).

As for employment, with a green card it is theoretically very easy. It's illegal for a potential employer to ask her immigration status, only if she is legally permitted to work in the US (With the exception of jobs requiring a security clearance). She would answer yes, just the same as a US citizen. Of course, there are companies which do discriminate, and I have handled this by not working for them. She will be able to get a social security card and US drivers licence.

Coming from the UK is actually a huge advantage. Americans generally love English people, and we are generally looked on favourably in an in-person interview.

Thanks for all that great info!

Flagship_dxer said:
In general, I dont agree with sponsoring people to dispatch. If you come to the US through other channels, I say welcome aboard. There are many Americans with dispatch licenses either looking for work and cant get interviews or unable due to life circumstances to take a pay cut to get regional experience. Work visas are meant for industries where talent is limited or for people that have special talent. If a dispatcher from a foreign airline that had experience applied, I would support that kind of sponsorship but I think sponsoring foreign workers with no dispatch experience serves to keep wages low if airlines did try it on a frequent basis. Dispatch wages are already too low for the knowledge and responsibility we have.

I actually agree with this... I asked about sponsorship to see what all of her options would be, as she will definitely be a US Citizen in time. Also, she is quite experienced, but I still didn't think sponsorship would be a realistic option. Just wanted to throw that out there and see. Thanks for all the info! :)

While a passport is required to be in CASS, you're not required to be in CASS... just means you can't jump seat anywhere.

Without opening a new thread, I have the same question in my mind: I mean, my dream is to work somewhere in California , but Im European. My uncle, who is not american but swedish, have been living near Los Angeles for almost 30/35 yrs. If I stay to his place , it would be easier to me to find a job in some american airline? Actually I guess that my uncle surely has the residence in US but I don't know about the citizenship..maybe he has the double citizenship or only the green card , I really don't know about that.

Someone can answer me? Thanks a lot.

Back