Non-rev without CASS

FlynRyan

I was wondering if anyone had tried non-reving without being a member of CASS or having a reciprocal agreement. I have heard that a few airlines have open non-rev policies(JetBlue and that one that starts with a G and ends with Jet :cool:) Even a few getting on Southwest with a bribe of chocolates to the gate agents. I work for an on-demand 135 company with no agreements with anyone(there is talk about getting it set up) and have some free time coming up and would like to visit some friends and family if it was possible. I know if it was possible that I would be at the bottom of the bottom of the list and always ask permission from the Capt. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this.

Thanks

Ryan

9 times out of 10, if you can get past the gate agent you'll probably be able to talk the crew into taking you.

That said, at least in the US Airways system, if you don't come up in CASS and aren't listed on the jumpseat agreement list they have at the podium (which varies by each express carrier and mainline), they aren't going to let you down the jetway.

pretty much the same at DL.....if you don't show up in the system, you won't even make it to the captain...it's not worth my job to let somebody on an airplane that isn't supposed to be there just to help someone out...

You don't need to be in CASS to non rev, you need to be in CASS to request the jumpseat. I can non rev on other carriers basically just by paying the associated fees for that particular carrier, ie the ZED fair.

Dont get me wrong, I wouldn't try to get in the back if I wasn't legally allowed to just because I wanted a ride. I was under the impression that some carriers allow a 135 pilot to catch a ride in the back if it is available. Anyone have experience with this?

Yes, you often can, and many companies will allow it. You can "jumpseat" without cass, you just won't have cockpit access.

Even "you" can contact the airlines jumpseat coordinator and get the ball rolling. Thats the best way to go about it.

What about jumpseating when you are CASS approved but don't have a jumpseat agreement with airline x? Do the gate agents check the list with a close eye?

What about jumpseating when you are CASS approved but don't have a jumpseat agreement with airline x? Do the gate agents check the list with a close eye?

I'm confused by this because if you are CASS approved then aren't you approved automatically for all other CASS carriers? As I understand it, the agreements between the airlines are only for F/As.

I'm confused by this because if you are CASS approved then aren't you approved automatically for all other CASS carriers? As I understand it, the agreements between the airlines are only for F/As.

I wish that was the way it was but you can't even find my airline code in United's system. However, you go to another airline we have an agreement with, we'll pop right up.

I wish that was the way it was but you can't even find my airline code in United's system. However, you go to another airline we have an agreement with, we'll pop right up.
It really is a crapshoot when you are part 135 and don't have an agreement. You can try, but there are no guarantees.

It really is a crapshoot when you are part 135 and don't have an agreement. You can try, but there are no guarantees.

Yeah I understand that its not a sure thing but I don't even know where to start. Call a particular airlines jumpseat coordinator? Try and explain my situation to people at the check in counter? Or possibly get through security with my uniform and company ID and talk to the gate agent?

If there's a particular airline you can reciprocate with, you'll be golden. I've worked at 2 airlines now where I had "non-rev reciprocity," and could either ride space A, or purchase an ID-90. Both good stuff.

Cass is just the verification system. Being in cass grants you nothing more than the ability to occupy a cockpit jump seat.

Every airline/union/pilot group works out their agreements, often the FA agreements are not aligned with the pilot agreements. FA's are not required to be, nor are the permitted in the cass system

I tried it a couple of times with SouthWest when I was a Part 135 Cargo pilot - no luck. Being in CASS has nothing to do with it, you have to be able to reciprocate. Our Company's insurance did not allow us to do that.

Yeah. Except we have an agreement with one airline and they find us with no problem at all. If you go to a regional carrier of United, they ack all dumb like and can't findyou in the system, even if you have an agreement with that regional carrier. CASS has made my life easier but going other places besides to work or home can be a pain. At least with our agreements.

Just don't try getting on a United Express flight. Since the cabin jumpseat forms were taken away due to a ban of flight attendants jump-seating on UAX, it is almost impossible to get on unless you can score some jumpseat forms from mainline UA gate agents.

And Keith its not an act, its official, Key Lime isn't in the system...I'd talk to your jumpseat coordinator about that. Used to be a way to get you guys on electronically, but its gone now.

Back