Non-Pilot Career in Europe

pilotmike327

Hey everybody :hiya:

From what I've seen so far on these forums, it's geared more towards Pilots than anyone else. I'm on a different approach:
*Finishing up my ADX.
*Graduate from Embry-Riddle in less than a year in Professional Aeronautics with a minor in Business Admin.
*Have about 4 months of internship experience in the dispatch office of a supplimental airline
*Currently U.S. citizen with my Spanish citizenship in the wraps by the end of this year.

My goal is to move to Madrid and work in the Airport/Airline industry over there (I have family there and have always wanted to move there). I know that the main spanish airline there is Iberia (which has now merged with British), with Vueling and Air Europa in the market share. Working with any of these 3 or in Barajas Airport would be great. I know the job market over there is pretty bad but I'm willing to work with anything that involves aviation (even considering flight attendant).

I know that aviation in Europe is a bit different than here in the U.S. Does anyone know what kind of jobs would be available with my background? ANY helpful advice is greatly appreciated.

Mike - Wish I could help you, but I have no idea what type of non-pilot airline jobs are available in Spain. Airport management always seems to be a good field to get into if you can. The only airline operating out of Europe that has a USA-like dispatch office is KLM - there is no legal joint responsibility but I've heard they run things very similar to most US operations. Other than that I'm not sure. I do remember a while back - it may even have been on this message board - a posting about some type of flight charts/flight planning position in Switzerland. They were recruiting people with pilot backgrounds but also dispatchers. Anyway I wish you the best of luck in your European aviation career.

The biggest obstacle is getting European residency, but since it looks like you will have that covered it will be easier. Also, how many different languages are you semi-proficient in?

Obviously check all the airlines websites, BA, Lufthansa, British Midlands, Air Berlin, etc etc etc.

Here are a couple of websites that may help

Flightglobal.com
Aviationcrossing.com

Another option might be the Eurocontrol website.

Sheffield also has posted foreign positions on their website but it has been awhile.

Like anything in aviation, you have to be flexible. You may end up getting a job in another country and then working towards your final goal.

I have been to Spain many times and always enjoyed it.

Best of Luck

Go to "The Celtica" in downtown Brussels. Seems to be a bunch of EuroControl controllers there during happy hour.

Truly appreciate the time you guys took to respond. I will be looking at all possible options and taking your ideas into consideration.

:yourock:

In the meantime, I'm going to build SOME kind of experience. Going to try volunteering here at KTPA someway unless I can find an actual job (which would be great).

Back