No Regrets

A-9er

As you all may remember, I was let go from G7 back in November. Though my pride was hurt at the time (who likes being fired?), a part of me was relieved. I knew at that point that I wasn't cut out for DX. Truth be told, I knew that during OJT, but I'd come too far at that point to not go all the way and get on a desk, even if only for a short while. My doubts were cemented during my third shift on my own when we had a NASTY IROP day-oh, what a nightmare that was! It was early-mid October, but we had WX that one would expect to see in July; there was a line of TSTMS from CYYZ (or was it CYUL?) to around KTUL with tops to FL400. Need I say more? That was a fine 'how do you do'! I remember saying to myself, WTF was I thinking? Why did I do this?

Before G7 showed me the door, I'd made up my mind to leave; the only question was when. I was going to stay through the New Year to help them through the busy travel season, then go; thankfully, they saved me the trouble of having that awkward conversation. With the exception of the job I held before DX, I never enjoyed telling folks I was going to resign; I certainly didn't relish having that conversation with the wonderful folks @ G7. I knew of at least two DXers preparing to leave, and that G7 was going to be short DXers. I didn't want to add to everyone's agony-both my sups' and my colleagues'. Thankfully, I never needed to have that conversation; thankfully, they saved me the trouble.

I managed to get some interviews after G7, and I think I'd have gotten another DX job had I kept at it. One interview went very well, and I think that that airline would have offered me a job. Before they could though, I backed out. When I sat with their DXer, the old doubts came back; I knew then that I didn't want to get on a desk again. When I got back home, I told them I was going to pursue another opportunity, and thanked them for their time. Why did I apply to other airlines? Why did I go on interviews? For me, it was a matter of pride; I HATE it when folks tell me I can't do something! In the end, I realized that there was no point. Though angry pride can be a good motivator, it will only carry one so far. Why do DX again when I know I'm not cut out for it?

Is that to say I regret attending Sheffield and briefly working a desk? Not at all. Attending Sheffield was one of the most challenging and rewarding things I ever did in my life. It's good to know that I have more mental capacity than I thought, and that I can still do challenging things at my age. I don't regret working a desk, either. Had I not done this, I never would have known. I'd have always had the question, what if I'd done it? I saw a recent 9/11 documentary in which a man related telling his children to never live life saying "I should have..." Had I not gone to DX school and worked a desk, I'd be saying 'I should have'. It's hard to think of a greater tragedy in life than saying, "I should have..."

So, what's the next step? I'll probably go back to electronics. I've dusted off my books, and I'm studying 3-4 hours a day reviewing stuff; it's a good opportunity to fill in some knowledge gaps. Later today, I'll nail down the interview time at a nice, local company this week. Without going into detail, it's a good way to ease back into electronics. I can't wait! If that doesn't pan out, there will be other good opportunities.

Having said that, I wish everyone on here well. I especially wish the wonderful folks @ G7 the best! I'm sorry I didn't get the contact information from some people there; I thought I'd have more time. I'll still lurk here and maybe even post once in a while. Best of luck, everyone!

0CFCA778-6F63-4F11-9016-4F1E17B70F0C.jpeg

Good luck in your new endeavors. This job is certainly not for everybody. No one knows what it's like until they are on their own. It can be brutal. You just really have to like mental beatings. I applaud you for sharing. My best to you!

Good luck in your new endeavors. This job is certainly not for everybody. No one knows what it's like until they are on their own. It can be brutal. You just really have to like mental beatings. I applaud you for sharing. My best to you!
What you say is so true! There's nothing like working the desk on your own. When you're with a trainer and things get crazy, you can just hand the desk over to them. Oftentimes, the trainer might take over just to keep up with the craziness; they'll politely tell you to move over because they need to keep up. When you're on your own, you can't do that; you have to get through the shift the best you can. Thanks for the good wishes!

Last edited:
As you all may remember, I was let go from G7 back in November. Though my pride was hurt at the time (who likes being fired?), a part of me was relieved. I knew at that point that I wasn't cut out for DX. Truth be told, I knew that during OJT, but I'd come too far at that point to not go all the way and get on a desk, even if only for a short while. My doubts were cemented during my third shift on my own when we had a NASTY IROP day-oh, what a nightmare that was! It was early-mid October, but we had WX that one would expect to see in July; there was a line of TSTMS from CYYZ (or was it CYUL?) to around KTUL with tops to FL400. Need I say more? That was a fine 'how do you do'! I remember saying to myself, WTF was I thinking? Why did I do this?

Before G7 showed me the door, I'd made up my mind to leave; the only question was when. I was going to stay through the New Year to help them through the busy travel season, then go; thankfully, they saved me the trouble of having that awkward conversation. With the exception of the job I held before DX, I never enjoyed telling folks I was going to resign; I certainly didn't relish having that conversation with the wonderful folks @ G7. I knew of at least two DXers preparing to leave, and that G7 was going to be short DXers. I didn't want to add to everyone's agony-both my sups' and my colleagues'. Thankfully, I never needed to have that conversation; thankfully, they saved me the trouble.

I managed to get some interviews after G7, and I think I'd have gotten another DX job had I kept at it. One interview went very well, and I think that that airline would have offered me a job. Before they could though, I backed out. When I sat with their DXer, the old doubts came back; I knew then that I didn't want to get on a desk again. When I got back home, I told them I was going to pursue another opportunity, and thanked them for their time. Why did I apply to other airlines? Why did I go on interviews? For me, it was a matter of pride; I HATE it when folks tell me I can't do something! In the end, I realized that there was no point. Though angry pride can be a good motivator, it will only carry one so far. Why do DX again when I know I'm not cut out for it?

Is that to say I regret attending Sheffield and briefly working a desk? Not at all. Attending Sheffield was one of the most challenging and rewarding things I ever did in my life. It's good to know that I have more mental capacity than I thought, and that I can still do challenging things at my age. I don't regret working a desk, either. Had I not done this, I never would have known. I'd have always had the question, what if I'd done it? I saw a recent 9/11 documentary in which a man related telling his children to never live life saying "I should have..." Had I not gone to DX school and worked a desk, I'd be saying 'I should have'. It's hard to think of a greater tragedy in life than saying, "I should have..."

So, what's the next step? I'll probably go back to electronics. I've dusted off my books, and I'm studying 3-4 hours a day reviewing stuff; it's a good opportunity to fill in some knowledge gaps. Later today, I'll nail down the interview time at a nice, local company this week. Without going into detail, it's a good way to ease back into electronics. I can't wait! If that doesn't pan out, there will be other good opportunities.

Having said that, I wish everyone on here well. I especially wish the wonderful folks @ G7 the best! I'm sorry I didn't get the contact information from some people there; I thought I'd have more time. I'll still lurk here and maybe even post once in a while. Best of luck, everyone!

I have much respect for you! Good luck in electronics!

It takes a lot of courage to walk away from a career that you invested so much time, effort and money in. It is much better to to try something and know its not for you than to always wish you had tried to do it.

That said, you might want to re-consider your decision. Some of the regionals do a terrible job at training new dispatchers. I know some dispatchers who didnt do so well at their first regional and are now at majors doing just fine. Sometimes its not the person but the environment. Fear is something that is hard to overcome. When you get it into your head that something cant be done, it can be hard to regain confidence to try again. If I had any advice it would be to give it some time, study dispatch stuff when you can, go to ADF events when you can and get to know dispatchers currently working, and give another regional a shot just to be sure its you and not just the airline. Dispatch is a multi-million dollar career at the majors. A big part of getting to that job is having the passion and desire to keep fighting through the difficult times.

It takes a lot of courage to walk away from a career that you invested so much time, effort and money in. It is much better to to try something and know its not for you than to always wish you had tried to do it.

That said, you might want to re-consider your decision. Some of the regionals do a terrible job at training new dispatchers. I know some dispatchers who didnt do so well at their first regional and are now at majors doing just fine. Sometimes its not the person but the environment. Fear is something that is hard to overcome. When you get it into your head that something cant be done, it can be hard to regain confidence to try again. If I had any advice it would be to give it some time, study dispatch stuff when you can, go to ADF events when you can and get to know dispatchers currently working, and give another regional a shot just to be sure its you and not just the airline. Dispatch is a multi-million dollar career at the majors. A big part of getting to that job is having the passion and desire to keep fighting through the difficult times.
You make good points. Long ago, Henry Ford said it best: whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that it didn't work out, but I want to offer some sage advice. Or at least, • what done worked for me in the past. But before that, try to remember that the regionals are a joke. Period. The work load is unrealistic on an average day, and its beyond stupid during IROPS. Don't look at it as not being cut out for the job when management sets you up to fail during anything worse than a bluebird day. The workload at an LCC is on average 15-20 flights less per desk than a regional, and the majors are 10-15 less than the LCCs. I have 50-60 flights per shift to dispatch, amend, and flight follow. I think I'm pretty sharp, but like everyone else I struggle on a bad day. Flagship_dxer makes some really good points on training too. Not all regionals train the same. We had months of training to prepare us, but I know regional dispatchers that got a week or two above what they learned at Sheffield.

If you enjoy aviation, but don't want to suffer through the 121 "I'm gonna be in the NBA one day!" career path to the majors, go out and give the Part 135 world a try. I came up from charter, and as much as people on this board love to bag on it it can be a great career. More cities to live in, more opportunities, way less task saturation. There are downsides, like being on call or "there's no such thing as off duty here." But the most stressful thing you'll encounter on an average day is chasing a limo company for a receipt. You won't make the same money as the majors, but I could quit my • regional life tomorrow and make $15-20k more a year by switching back to charter. Your license will open a lot of doors in the 91/135 world too, because most people don't have one.

Take a deep breath, consider your true feelings, and see where it takes you.

edit- I love how this board changes my salty language. Can I get that filter for my mouth?

Best of luck -- and I hope to see you around the forums.

What @catHerder said is so, so right. Also, "The regionals are beyond stupid" put a big grin on my face. There's SO many options in the industry. Some who personally know me here will agree -- QOL is everything.

Not a DX'r here but Flagship has some pretty good advice for you. You do have skin in this game don't throw in the towel for one bad experience. Now maybe you have made up your mind that you don't want the pressure of IROP's or the stress of live flights in that case that's cool I gave up MX control for the same reason after 11 years I had enough of it. But only you know what is right. I would give another employer a try and see if it really is something you do not want you can then decide to pursue electronics or whatever.

Enjoy your new direction wherever it may take you. I hope your vow to move on includes your other screen name(FM-2 Fan) and any others you may have created. Take care and do what you need to do to take care of you!

Back