No more TIPH @ GFK

SeeYA@GFK

Hello GFK pilots,

Here's the latest from the tower. No more TIPH (Taxi Into Position and Hold) until further notice. This just went into effect today. Not sure how long this is going to last, we have to wait for HQ to makey a decision on this. Could take a couple weeks or months. So expect your takeoff clearances from the hold short line. It's going to take a little getting use to.

Hope your flying is going good this semester!

doh! it is already hard enough not to spend .4-.5 on the ground for an entire flight, argh!

We were wondering why we weren't getting TPIH today at 17L, now I know. It sure was fun to see the line 5 deep when we got cleared for takeoff.

Hello GFK pilots,

Here's the latest from the tower. No more TIPH (Taxi Into Position and Hold) until further notice. This just went into effect today. Not sure how long this is going to last, we have to wait for HQ to makey a decision on this. Could take a couple weeks or months. So expect your takeoff clearances from the hold short line. It's going to take a little getting use to.

Hope your flying is going good this semester!

Did something happen? Runway incursion or something?

doh! it is already hard enough not to spend .4-.5 on the ground for an entire flight, argh!

I feel your pain. I know it isn't cheap to fly and sitting on the ground sucks. We do our best to get you guys out. Some controllers are better than others accomplishing this task.

We were wondering why we weren't getting TPIH today at 17L, now I know. It sure was fun to see the line 5 deep when we got cleared for takeoff.

Yesterday sucked due to Bravo being closed for the painting. So it was 'easier' to take all departures to 17L instead of trying to give progressive taxi instructions around the painting crew to 17R. In the afternoon I saw 11 aircraft holding short at 17L.

Did something happen? Runway incursion or something?

Yes, something did happen in the tower that has prevented us from using TIPH for now.

TIPH isn't the end all be all to get airplanes out, but it sure does help. Especially on 35L/17R when the hold line is so far from the runway.

what do you mean? between slow taxi speeds and slow students it is typically .4-.5 each flight on the ground
Does taxi into position and hold really slow down your taxi that much? Are guys stopping on the runway after they have been cleared for takeoff?

Does taxi into position and hold really slow down your taxi that much? Are guys stopping on the runway after they have been cleared for takeoff?
some do, and we are required too in the semi. some students are better than others

makes more sense to abort a takeoff due to improper engine indications when not moving. the check can be done quickly (in less than 5 seconds) but most people try to be so precise with exactly 20in MP............

makes more sense to abort a takeoff due to improper engine indications when not moving. the check can be done quickly (in less than 5 seconds) but most people try to be so precise with exactly 20in MP............
Do you teach your students to just put it in the ball park? Maybe you could get it changed in the manual.

yes i do try
I cant remember doing that when I was flying a seminole. Buts its been a little while. Maybe you can get them to change that next semester or next year. You can bring up potential fuel savings and cost savings to other students. I wonder how much money/fuel is saved over the course of a year if everyone saves .1 per flight.

I cant remember doing that when I was flying a seminole. Buts its been a little while. Maybe you can get them to change that next semester or next year. You can bring up potential fuel savings and cost savings to other students. I wonder how much money/fuel is saved over the course of a year if everyone saves .1 per flight.

youre looking at it from the wrong perspective. theres no reason to save fuel or save money for the students....because thats how UND makes money, by students buying flight time.

Yes, something did happen in the tower that has prevented us from using TIPH for now.

Does Anyone actually know what happened, and was it partly our fault, or is this more an internal GFK tower thing? My students ask if we're getting restricted for something we did and I have no idea.

Back