Nigeria

PA-44typed

Anyone fly or work in Nigeria, I’m unemployed and starting to get desperate. I have been contracted to fly for an oil guy there. Good $$ and paid to and from on a 2 month on 1 month off kind of deal. Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Thanks

I have ABSOLUTELY NO experience with this sort of thing, but be wary of scams, especially when it comes to expat pilot jobs.

Check out pprune.org

Go to the african aviation section. Multiple threads on Nigeria and what its like to work there.

What part of Nigeria? Most of the aviation is out of Lagos from what I have read. But from what I gather, a 3rd world experience for sure. I thought about going, as when everyone was hiring there were multiple open positions. But after reading, and thinking it through, I opted not to go. Not because I was scared, but because I would probably go insane being in a place like that for 2 months at a time. After the first 2 months, I imagine the sense of adventure wears off. Either way though, I imagine with a bitc of common sense you will be fine anywhere in the world.. almost.

I guess whether you take the job or not depends on how desperate you really are..

Nigeria? Isn't that in the Middle East of Africa? :sarcasm:
I don't know much about flying there, but from an oilfield background, I always heard that the money is great, but the country ????.......
Well, pretty unsettled as a country goes!

I Would be living on a compound with security and guards to/from the airport. Flying in and out of Abuja, Flying the “big man” of one of the oil companies. Good $$ and business class to/from USA for the 2 on 1 off rotation. I am going to interview in the next week here in the US and see what they have to offer.

A friend of mine is flying the -900 for Arik Air in Lagos. She likes it so far and has a decent amount of time off between the work rotations.

I had previously heard nothing but horrible stories of working in Nigeria but her report is a positive one thus far for the past few months.

Delta Air Lines will start flying to Abuja through Sal later in the year -- that would be a quick way for you to head back to the states on your time off.

That sounds like a good gig! I suppose it is Nigerias' recent history that would make me a little uncomfortable living over there. But flying for the "big man"? Pretty cool! Let me know if he needs a pilot for his golf cart back here in the states! :)

Another thing, some of those African oil rights companies have highly questionable human rights records. I'm sure as an expat pilot you would be fine, though...

I have a job in Nigeria flying the Royal Prince - the job pays $10,000,000 but the money is in escrow. The fee to unlock it is a mere $5,000. Your manuals and uniforms cost $200. We will pay it, but we can only send checks in $500 increments (federal law in Nigeria). We will send you a check for $500, all you have to do is mail us the remaining $300. We look forward to hearing from you.

I have a job in Nigeria flying the Royal Prince - the job pays $10,000,000 but the money is in escrow. The fee to unlock it is a mere $5,000. Your manuals and uniforms cost $200. We will pay it, but we can only send checks in $500 increments (federal law in Nigeria). We will send you a check for $500, all you have to do is mail us the remaining $300. We look forward to hearing from you.

That...is awesome. :yup:

Back