NFCT

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Are there any differences between the authority of an FAA tower vs a contract or Non-Federal Control Tower? I believe all the old FAA Level 1 facilities are now contract, no?

Also, any difference in training/manning standards between the two?

Are there any differences between the authority of an FAA tower vs a contract or Non-Federal Control Tower? I believe all the old FAA Level 1 facilities are now contract, no?

Also, any difference in training/manning standards between the two?

This is where you will see the differences come shining through between die-hard contract controllers and die-hard FAA controllers.

First off, there's no difference in authority. There's no difference in training standards either. Training curriculum for Contract Towers is mandated and reviewed by the FAA, so it's the same across the board.

However, there are considerable differences in manning. Contract towers usually have many less controllers than FAA towers. One manager, maybe 6 controllers for an average Level I tower. All the old Level I's are now contract, and there's an effort underway to get the Level II's to go contract as well, which they absolutely should. Despite what the NATCA PR machine might try to tell you, staffing and safety at contract towers are just fine. I even give safety and efficiency at Contract Towers a higher grade than at an FAA facility, on average. A contract tower is run by a private firm, many of them are non-union, so if you screw up as a controller, and it's a valid screw up, you are done. No questions asked. On the other hand, you work for the Federal Government, you get to appeal and file this and that to keep you on position while a determination is made, etc, etc, etc. And I think it should absolutely be that way. I worked with a guy who put two together and is still on the mike today, and I personally think that is wrong. If you can't get rated in a Contract Tower within 30 days, you're done. If you can't get rated at an FAA facility, they ship you off to an 'easier' facility. Can't get rated there, let's find something easier for you. Contract towers do the same job with less people for a cheaper price. I've worked at both, so I've seen both sides of the argument.

Of course, that is just my rant. Hopefully a NATCA controller can come in here and give their opinion.

My main familiarity is with ATC facilities in the state of AZ. NFCTs which were former FAA Level 1 facilities, are Phoenix-Goodyear, Glendale (which was always contract from the time the airfield was built), Tucson-Ryan, & Flagstaff. FAA Level 2s such as Prescott, PHX Deer Valley, Scottsdale, Mesa Falcon and Williams; I do remember talk of them considering going contract; and have heard the same arguements you'd expect from both sides. It'll be interesting to see what finally comes down with this.

My main familiarity is with ATC facilities in the state of AZ. NFCTs which were former FAA Level 1 facilities, are Phoenix-Goodyear, Glendale (which was always contract from the time the airfield was built), Tucson-Ryan, & Flagstaff. FAA Level 2s such as Prescott, PHX Deer Valley, Scottsdale, Mesa Falcon and Williams; I do remember talk of them considering going contract; and have heard the same arguements you'd expect from both sides. It'll be interesting to see what finally comes down with this.

Yeah, Serco pretty much runs the ATC contract world in Arizona, and they do a pretty good job of it, from what I understand.

Willie is a Serco tower even though it was a level II. If I recall all but 2 of the guys that worked it were ex military. It may have just been that I was in and out of that airport all day and I got to know the controllers but I had a much better time dealing with the contract people (there and FLG) then I did the FAA towers. They seemed much more forgiving of student pilots (and CFIs) making dumb mistakes. Doing a few laps on the pattern at IWA versus DVT really showed the difference I think.

Back