Newest pilot in the country...

Ben Peters

Long time lurker, first time poster! Been super interested in aviation since I was a kid, got about 25 hours when I was in high school, ran out of money, went to college and got an engineering degree. I've been working in software since then and never pursued aviation because of money and "it didn't make sense".

Anyway, a few months ago (10 years later) I decided to get back into it anyway, and I've had an absolute blast. After 3 reschedules over 1.5 months due to weather and a 2 day checkride (first day was oral + a short flight where I opted to discontinue after weather started moving in) I finally became a pilot and got my PPL last week!

IMG_5874 (1).JPG

I'm still not sure exactly where I want to take aviation - I'm 30 years old, and software pays well with good QOL - but I can't get enough of flying at the moment and I'm really glad I took the plunge. I'm looking forward to getting more experience and starting to work on my instrument (and probably commercial) in the coming months.

Hopefully I'll get to meet some of the people on here in the future - living in Jackson, WY at the moment and flying out of KDIJ.

Long time lurker, first time poster! Been super interested in aviation since I was a kid, got about 25 hours when I was in high school, ran out of money, went to college and got an engineering degree. I've been working in software since then and never pursued aviation because of money and "it didn't make sense".

Anyway, a few months ago (10 years later) I decided to get back into it anyway, and I've had an absolute blast. After 3 reschedules over 1.5 months due to weather and a 2 day checkride (first day was oral + a short flight where I opted to discontinue after weather started moving in) I finally became a pilot and got my PPL last week!

View attachment 42431

I'm still not sure exactly where I want to take aviation - I'm 30 years old, and software pays well with good QOL - but I can't get enough of flying at the moment and I'm really glad I took the plunge. I'm looking forward to getting more experience and starting to work on my instrument (and probably commercial) in the coming months.

Hopefully I'll get to meet some of the people on here in the future - living in Jackson, WY at the moment and flying out of KDIJ.

Congrats! I did all my PPL training in JAC back in 2004/2005. Actually I'll be out there next week come to think of it. Is Mike C still around?

Congrats! I did all my PPL training in JAC back in 2004/2005. Actually I'll be out there next week come to think of it. Is Mike C still around?

It's a great place to (learn to) fly! Amazing flying around the Tetons (not to mention that it's nice to start getting used to mountain flying right from the start).

I don't know a Mike C, so I'm not sure if he's around or not. My instructors were Matt and Colleen at TAC in Driggs.

Hope you have a good trip! I might be out of town mid next week, but if you're spending any time in Jackson and looking to grab a beer sometime, hit me up, it'd be fun to meet up and talk flying!

It's a great place to (learn to) fly! Amazing flying around the Tetons (not to mention that it's nice to start getting used to mountain flying right from the start).

I don't know a Mike C, so I'm not sure if he's around or not. My instructors were Matt and Colleen at TAC in Driggs.

Hope you have a good trip! I might be out of town mid next week, but if you're spending any time in Jackson and looking to grab a beer sometime, hit me up, it'd be fun to meet up and talk flying!

For sure, I miss the trips to DUB and up Paradise Valley to BZN. If I can escape the wife and kids for a couple hours I'll shoot you a PM but we'll out by the village, my parents live at Lake Creek so we're with them.

Back