New York ATC

dmcburn75

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on the ATC hiring needs in New York; and where most controllers in NY are assigned? I scored well qualified on the August 08' AT-SAT and I believe the pubnat3 referral list is coming out soon. I request either terminal or en route.

Also, is it looked favorably upon if you have completed graduate work? I recently completed my MBA in finance. Yes, I know it is not directly related to aviation, but whatever helps I guess.

The finance industry and finance job prospects are pretty much kaput in the tri-state area as of now and aviation has always been a great passion of mine. It would be great to work in my home town as a controller. So, any comments, suggestions or banter is well appreciated(especially from those who are NY controllers/gone through the process). Thanks!

-Dan

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on the ATC hiring needs in New York; and where most controllers in NY are assigned N90 (New York TRACON) and ZNY (New York Center) and to a lesser extext some smaller upstate facilities? I scored well qualified on the August 08' AT-SAT and I believe the pubnat3 referral list is coming out soon. I request either terminal or en route.

Also, is it looked favorably upon if you have completed graduate work No, not at all? I recently completed my MBA in finance. Yes, I know it is not directly related to aviation, but whatever helps I guess.

The finance industry and finance job prospects are pretty much kaput in the tri-state area as of now and aviation has always been a great passion of mine. It would be great to work in my home town as a controller. So, any comments, suggestions or banter is well appreciated(especially from those who are NY controllers/gone through the process). Thanks!

-Dan

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on the ATC hiring needs in New York; and where most controllers in NY are assigned? I scored well qualified on the August 08' AT-SAT and I believe the pubnat3 referral list is coming out soon. I request either terminal or en route.

Also, is it looked favorably upon if you have completed graduate work? I recently completed my MBA in finance. Yes, I know it is not directly related to aviation, but whatever helps I guess.

-Dan

not sure how the hiring is for Upstate NY, but as for Queens, Nassau, and Suffolk counties....you are basically only gonna get hired for ZNY (NY Center). i have a friend who works at LGA and his boss sat everyone down for a meeting and said they will no longer be hiring anyone without experience, and the same goes for JFK. ISP, FRG are all stocked up on people. There may be a small chance of getting N90, but i dont know if they are hiring OTS people for there anymore cause its so hard. everyone ive seen from this board, and other people i know not on here, are all going to ZNY from the last hiring panel. ONE person got FRG tower, and thats it. so unless you plan on going upstate you are almost definately going to get ZNY. if you do get it, then ill see ya there

i have a friend who works at LGA and his boss sat everyone down for a meeting and said they will no longer be hiring anyone without experience HA!!! Do not believe that for a second. Number one HR tells you who and what you get for the most part, and Number two any facility will take WHATEVER they can get their grimey hands on right now!, and the same goes for JFK. ISP, FRG are all stocked up on people. There may be a small chance of getting N90, but i dont know if they are hiring OTS people for there anymore cause its so hard. everyone ive seen from this board, and other people i know not on here, are all going to ZNY from the last hiring panel. ONE person got FRG tower, and thats it. so unless you plan on going upstate you are almost definately going to get ZNY. if you do get it, then ill see ya there

If, and this is obviously an IF, i get to the point with GeoPref's is NY center one of those that always need people? I'd actually prefer the Long Island/NYC area personally

If, and this is obviously an IF, i get to the point with GeoPref's is NY center one of those that always need people? I'd actually prefer the Long Island/NYC area personally

yeah, ZNY is usually hiring a few people out of every announcement. so you have a good shot if you put NY

For PUBNAT 2 I put NY and OH for my geographic preferences, and got selected for ZOB (I wrote in the "comments" section that I would like to avoid New York City if at all possible). I love the selection, besides Buffalo International ZOB was my #1 preference for facilities, I also went on a tour of the Syracuse Air Traffic Control tower over summer and they mentioned they were still looking for some trainees, so overall it looks like there are lots of opportunities in New York.

I'm from pubnat1. under geopref I wrote I only want to work in LGA, JFK or EWR and I got LGA =). PVing out next week. I only know of 1 other person 6 days behind me going to LGA. haven't meet anyone else going there.

I'm from pubnat1. under geopref I wrote I only want to work in LGA, JFK or EWR and I got LGA =). PVing out next week. I only know of 1 other person 6 days behind me going to LGA. haven't meet anyone else going there.
There's a guy in my "sister" class going to LGA. We PV in April.

I put NY in my preferences for 3 & 4 and did not get picked. I had a WQ score and aviation experience so that did not help.

Would you mind telling us your score? I am from Pubnat5 and awaiting geo preferences. I live about 5 minutes away from ZNY and that is my first choice. My friend scheduled me a tour of the facility next Friday at 10:30 am!

Since I joined this board in June I have only seen one NY geographic preference person selected for N90, the rest were for ZNY with none selected for airports in NYC or Buffalo, Syracuse, ect... I scored in the high 90's on the AT-SAT and had NY and OH as my preferences, and was selected for ZOB. It looks like hiring for the centers is the priority, the individual airports in New York State appear to be in ok shape, but who knows as such a small part of the applicant pool actually posts here.

Since I joined this board in June I have only seen one NY geographic preference person selected for N90, the rest were for ZNY with none selected for airports in NYC or Buffalo, Syracuse, ect... I scored in the high 90's on the AT-SAT and had NY and OH as my preferences, and was selected for ZOB. It looks like hiring for the centers is the priority, the individual airports in New York State appear to be in ok shape, but who knows as such a small part of the applicant pool actually posts here.
guy i went to the academy with is at KBUF...

I know there are 4 people who are PVing this week who are going to N90 and i know a few more who are going to ZNY

eric? I meet him before I left. I'm in LGA right now. we are short on people lol.

That really annoys me...I actually specifically asked for LGA and was given the center instead.... If they need people why not send someone who asked for it there...

Oh Lisr you know you want to work center... you're such a conversationalist, you wouldn't be happy just tossing folks off to departure all day.

I love these threads where ATL chimes in about management... always a good read.

Back