New York and Potomac Approach

EDUC8-or

Does anyone know if their approach facilities are centrally located? For example, here in Charlotte the radar room is downstairs. I know Potomac serves many smaller airports as well as Richmond, Dulles, and National. In New York you have La Guardia, Kennedy, and Newark. Does each tower have their own approach facility downstairs or do they communicate to a central facility.

Does anyone know if their approach facilities are centrally located? For example, here in Charlotte the radar room is downstairs. I know Potomac serves many smaller airports as well as Richmond, Dulles, and National. In New York you have La Guardia, Kennedy, and Newark. Does each tower have their own approach facility downstairs or do they communicate to a central facility.

I can't tell you where NY Approach is located, but Potomac TRACON is a huge building/facility outside Leesburg, VA. It is one central location housing all "Potomac" controllers.

New York is all in one facility as well. Near Islip, if I remember correctly.

New York is all in one facility as well. Near Islip, if I remember correctly.

Potomac is in Warrenton VA which is south of Manassas off route 29...close to Culpeper(CJR) and W66(warrenton). Its a massive radar room with controllers for BWI, DCA, IAD, RIC, CHO and all the smaller airports in the mix. Broken up into sectors(chesapeake-bwi, Shenandoah-IAD, Mount Vernon-DCA, and James River-CHO and RIC) I used to think it was weird to take off out of RIC and contact Potomac departure/approach and only have 3 freq changes to get up to Leesburg(nw of IAD). The appr guys used to be downstairs in the tower, below the Cab, but I think this system works a little better.

NY Tracon is located on Stewart Ave. right across the strees from Nassau Community College. It's not even close to the airports. ZNY (NY Center) is in Islip at Long Island Macarthur Airport.

Back