New Virus Lurking Around, BAD!

Joshua949

[ QUOTE ]
Important News about the Novarg virus

Virus Alert
The W32.Novarg.A@mm virus is a mass-mailing worm that is very active on the Internet. While we are currently taking measures to protect our Email users, you can protect yourself by identifying and deleting emails with Novarg characteristics. Please do not report these emails as Spam.

Note: Your computer should not be infected by this virus unless you open a corrupted attachment.

What to look for:
Emails infected with the Novarg virus have, thus far, been approximately 30-35KB in size and have exhibited the following characteristics:

# Subject line: Hello
# Hi
# Test
# Status

From line:
Contains spoofed addresses - which means that the name that appears in the "From" field is probably not the real sender.

Body:
# Tends to be unreadable; gibberish. You may also see the following message: "The message contains Unicode characters and has been sent as a binary attachment".

Attachment file extensions:
# .zip (most common)
# .bat
# .cmd
# .exe
# .pif
# .scr

Known attachment file names:
# body (.zip, .bat, etc.)
# readme
# file
# message
# text
# jasrjx
# dajtl
# document

[/ QUOTE ]

I received the darn thing in my email, but luckily I deleted off before opening it. Thank goodness.

I got TWO of them this morning!

Fortunately I had just read a newspaper article about the virus and promptle deleted them and ran my viruscan.

"this house is clean"

Yeah, this morning, when I got to work, I opened up my email box. About 30 of the 35 messages that were waiting for me were this virus. It's not a pretty thing.

Back