New To The World Of Aviation

Mongrel54

Hello everyone, I'm new to both this forum and the fields of aviation. My name is Jon and here in a few weeks I'm going to be medically discharged from the United States Army. My plan is to begin college at LCCC (Lehigh Carbon Community College) in Schnecksville, Pa to get my professional pilot license and use my G.I. Bills to do so. Does anyone have any Sage advice they'd like to offer to me regarding the job market, tips on making it through a collegiate flight program, or any other words of wisdom? I greatly anticipate finally getting off the ground, into the air, and making this profession my career. Ideally I'd like to fly freight because I'd rather be responsible for 1 million dollars in cargo rather than any number of human lives.

Welcome Jon and thanks for your service. I could not offer you any good advice about potential job market but I can offer you a free ride. Your location in PA is a quick hop from my base at Princeton, NJ

Welcome, you'll find this website and it's members will be a great asset in your training and career.

None of my business, but if you are getting medically discharged, have you looked into your ability to get a First class medical? Not sure of your circumstances, but that should be your first priority before investing too much time in this field.

Best of luck to you, only advice I have for you is to enjoy your training!

Welcome Jon and thanks for your service. I could not offer you any good advice about potential job market but I can offer you a free ride. Your location in PA is a quick hop from my base at Princeton, NJ

Thank you for the offer Fencer! I really appreciate it and will definitely take you up on that offer when we're both available!

None of my business, but if you are getting medically discharged, have you looked into your ability to get a First class medical? Not sure of your circumstances, but that should be your first priority before investing too much time in this field.

I've already researched it and my disability won't prohibit me from obtaining a First Class Medical cert. I've got some degenerative disc disease in my lumbar spine with some sciatic nerve damage but nothing that severely affects my range of motion or ability to sit for long periods of time. I'm very thankful that this is the case and the first thing I did was look up the health requirements to get the medical certification I needed

Hello there Jon , welcome aboard. Yes, this is an awesome website, a lot of cool people & loads of invaluable aviation info available to you. Welcome to the wonderful world of aviation & this great forum, again, welcome aboard...:smoke:

One of the most sage pieces of advice I've seen levied at everyone in your position:

Take a discovery flight. See if you like it. Get your Private. Fly around a bit. Then get the IR. Do more flying. Explore areas of aviation.

Turn aviation into a journey instead of a destination. You may realize at some point that you don't want to turn something you love into something you HAVE to do. Passion frequently becomes drudgery - for some - when they're forced into it. Only you know that for sure.

Good luck to you sir, and thank you for your service.

Back