New to the DX World

VanNuysField

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say hello and thank you for all the insightful posts and help that other members have provided for getting a start in the dispatch world. This forum was truly a gigantic help for someone who has always wanted to work in the aviation world!

I will be starting classes next week at Jeppesen and I have a few questions for all of you.

I am currently 22 with a BA degree in Economics and I understand that you must be 23 to legally dispatch for the regionals. I have read on other posts that I should be careful about applying before turning 23 because the online application can automatically be rejected.

If I pass my written and practical as scheduled I will hopefully have a dispatch certificate by the end of April. However, I turn 23 this August.

I understand that I probably shouldn't apply to any regionals right away as my birthday is a little far down the road. But is it a good idea to maybe start applications if jobs pop up by the middle or end of June as I understand that the hiring and training process can take 2 months? Would this be the best way to approach the job application process? Or should I just wait until August to start applying if no airline will look at an age 22 applicant?

Thanks again for all the help!

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say hello and thank you for all the insightful posts and help that other members have provided for getting a start in the dispatch world. This forum was truly a gigantic help for someone who has always wanted to work in the aviation world!

I will be starting classes next week at Jeppesen and I have a few questions for all of you.

I am currently 22 with a BA degree in Economics and I understand that you must be 23 to legally dispatch for the regionals. I have read on other posts that I should be careful about applying before turning 23 because the online application can automatically be rejected.

If I pass my written and practical as scheduled I will hopefully have a dispatch certificate by the end of April. However, I turn 23 this August.

I understand that I probably shouldn't apply to any regionals right away as my birthday is a little far down the road. But is it a good idea to maybe start applications if jobs pop up by the middle or end of June as I understand that the hiring and training process can take 2 months? Would this be the best way to approach the job application process? Or should I just wait until August to start applying if no airline will look at an age 22 applicant?

Thanks again for all the help!

You must be 23 to hold an aircraft dispatcher certificate, which is a requirement for any Part 121 Domestic or Flag airline. If you're birthday is in August, you won't receive the certificate until then. In the interim I believe you get some kind of letter stating that you have successfully completed your training, and will get your certificate in August. I think, once you get that letter, you could start applying. You could even get a job and start training, but you won't be signed off at your employer until you have your certificate.

You must be 23 to hold an aircraft dispatcher certificate, which is a requirement for any Part 121 Domestic or Flag airline. If you're birthday is in August, you won't receive the certificate until then. In the interim I believe you get some kind of letter stating that you have successfully completed your training, and will get your certificate in August. I think, once you get that letter, you could start applying. You could even get a job and start training, but you won't be signed off at your employer until you have your certificate.

Ok that makes more sense to me! Thanks for the response.

When you pass your O&P you will actually get nothing (as far as paper goes that day). The issuing CMO will mail you a Letter of Aeronautical Competency. As Flying Saluki states, most places won't hire you until you possess the actual certificate at 23, BUT some places will. I've heard some places will hire you with the contingent that you passed, but you don't perform actual dispatching. If you have any questions on the testing process, lemme know, I'm a DADE.

When you pass your O&P you will actually get nothing (as far as paper goes that day). The issuing CMO will mail you a Letter of Aeronautical Competency. As Flying Saluki states, most places won't hire you until you possess the actual certificate at 23, BUT some places will. I've heard some places will hire you with the contingent that you passed, but you don't perform actual dispatching. If you have any questions on the testing process, lemme know, I'm a DADE.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I appreciate the help.

My shop has had a few people turn 23 while they are going through initial groundschool
Thanks, that is good to know! If I see an opening I'll make sure to apply.

Back