New to Forums! Skydiver / Former UND Alumni

Skydive4Lyfe

Greetings Everyone! Former Real Estate portfolio manager turned professional skydiver who would like to venture into the world of aviation. Graduated from UND (09') years back, so hello to any Alumni on these forums.

Currently researching good options for my PPL here in Southern California before pulling the trigger. This has been something I've been going back and forth with for years.

Now 31, I'm in a financial position to pull the trigger and hope this could potentially become another career opportunity. Whether 121 or not, I love flying (parachutes, paragliders, speed wings/mini wings) and excited to see where this leads/takes me.

I see many taking the accelerated route for quick results (ATP etc)..Although that sounds fun and amazing in the short-run, I think doing it for the love of flying will lead to longevity and prevent me from getting burned out. With that said I prefer to crawl before trying to walk.

Currently I'm skydiving out of Perris, CA but open to traveling to other parts of the US to obtain licensing. Thanks for reading this and I look forward to reading through the forums here.

Lastly anyone have any idea if it would be cheaper to say buy a cheaper priced Cessna (e.g 150) to build hours (until say commercially rated) on versus renting/maintaining/hangar/insurance fees on ones own. Unsure what it truthfully costs to maintain a plane, will try and do more research into this.

All the best,

David

Last edited:
Welcome, David.

I have opinions on each of your questions, but I don't think I'm the best qualified here to answer them. What do you plan on doing with your flying? You mentioned getting your commercial, but are you going to do anything with it? You've found a really good forum of career minded aviators so that's the perspective you're going to get which is different from some of the others.

I would start shopping a cheap-ish IFR certified trainer. Even if you don't buy, it'll get you immersed in general aviation a little more.

I would start shopping a cheap-ish IFR certified trainer. Even if you don't buy, it'll get you immersed in general aviation a little more.

I wouldn't bother with something with IFR equipment. More stuff to break, and it costs more to buy. Rent something for the IFR training, the minimum is only 15 dual. As long as you are renting it, get something complex for about the same price get some of the complex time out of the way.

A Cessna 150 with minimal working avionics can get you a start on IFR. An inexpensive ground trainer can fill in some blanks. Then rent a better equipped 172 to finish off the IFR. I think buying vs renting is a good move for someone looking to start out if they know they are serious about the career. Especially if you can make friends with a local mechanic to help you work on it. Possibly trade some wrenching for flying.

A Cessna 150 with minimal working avionics can get you a start on IFR. An inexpensive ground trainer can fill in some blanks. Then rent a better equipped 172 to finish off the IFR. I think buying vs renting is a good move for someone looking to start out if they know they are serious about the career. Especially if you can make friends with a local mechanic to help you work on it. Possibly trade some wrenching for flying.

Totally agree that there isn't really any need for an IFR equipped plane. Rent one for dual part of IFR training, sure. But that is like 15-20 hours.

I don't think buying is a good idea until you at least have a private certificate. The 50 or so hours won't make much difference in overall cost to 250 hours, but instructor availability is better at actual schools. Plus, owning a plane you can't fly is kind of lame.

Welcome, David.

I have opinions on each of your questions, but I don't think I'm the best qualified here to answer them. What do you plan on doing with your flying? You mentioned getting your commercial, but are you going to do anything with it? You've found a really good forum of career minded aviators so that's the perspective you're going to get which is different from some of the others.

Truthfully at this point I see it being more of a hobby, and going from there. Just like skydiving it was initially a hobby that turned into a professional career. However as a skydiver it may result in further opportunities down the road (e.g jump pilot, etc.). That said I guess I'd rather keep my options open. Definitely I feel at bare minimum having my PPL and going from there is a good start. That said should the commercial route become more desirable as I build hours I guess I can always go that route too.

I also have friends looking to start flying so I thought maybe it would be advantageous to pool our resources. Heck even just owning a plane and flying would be ok with me too.

Thank you!

I appreciate the insight. I have a few friends that are local A&P mechanics (skydivers also) so I feel in the long-run this will definitely save me money. I'm 6'4" and one of my experienced pilot friends (3000TT+ SE/ME) thought a 150 may be too small for me. He suggested to get a 172 if I can afford it. I will keep this in mind thought, thanks for reaching out.

Totally agree that there isn't really any need for an IFR equipped plane. Rent one for dual part of IFR training, sure. But that is like 15-20 hours.

I don't think buying is a good idea until you at least have a private certificate. The 50 or so hours won't make much difference in overall cost to 250 hours, but instructor availability is better at actual schools. Plus, owning a plane you can't fly is kind of lame.

I appreciate the honesty! Truthfully I agree, I guess I was trying to consider the opportunity cost but think I should maybe get my PPL and then reevaluate thereafter and make my decision once I'm a little more experienced.

Great insight everyone, thanks kindly. IF anyones ever down in the Riverside area and wants to learn to skydive, swing on through Perris. All the best,

Dave

Truthfully at this point I see it being more of a hobby, and going from there. Just like skydiving it was initially a hobby that turned into a professional career. However as a skydiver it may result in further opportunities down the road (e.g jump pilot, etc.). That said I guess I'd rather keep my options open. Definitely I feel at bare minimum having my PPL and going from there is a good start. That said should the commercial route become more desirable as I build hours I guess I can always go that route too.

I also have friends looking to start flying so I thought maybe it would be advantageous to pool our resources. Heck even just owning a plane and flying would be ok with me too.

Thank you!

I appreciate the insight. I have a few friends that are local A&P mechanics (skydivers also) so I feel in the long-run this will definitely save me money. I'm 6'4" and one of my experienced pilot friends (3000TT+ SE/ME) thought a 150 may be too small for me. He suggested to get a 172 if I can afford it. I will keep this in mind thought, thanks for reaching out.

I appreciate the honesty! Truthfully I agree, I guess I was trying to consider the opportunity cost but think I should maybe get my PPL and then reevaluate thereafter and make my decision once I'm a little more experienced.

Great insight everyone, thanks kindly. IF anyones ever down in the Riverside area and wants to learn to skydive, swing on through Perris. All the best,

Dave

Does the DZ you jump at or a local reputable one have a 182? Most DZ's seem to want around 500 but your connections might help with that.

*hand salutes, get out of my plane.

Greetings Everyone! Former Real Estate portfolio manager turned professional skydiver who would like to venture into the world of aviation. Graduated from UND (09') years back, so hello to any Alumni on these forums.

Currently researching good options for my PPL here in Southern California before pulling the trigger. This has been something I've been going back and forth with for years.

Now 31, I'm in a financial position to pull the trigger and hope this could potentially become another career opportunity. Whether 121 or not, I love flying (parachutes, paragliders, speed wings/mini wings) and excited to see where this leads/takes me.

I see many taking the accelerated route for quick results (ATP etc)..Although that sounds fun and amazing in the short-run, I think doing it for the love of flying will lead to longevity and prevent me from getting burned out. With that said I prefer to crawl before trying to walk.

Currently I'm skydiving out of Perris, CA but open to traveling to other parts of the US to obtain licensing. Thanks for reading this and I look forward to reading through the forums here.

Lastly anyone have any idea if it would be cheaper to say buy a cheaper priced Cessna (e.g 150) to build hours (until say commercially rated) on versus renting/maintaining/hangar/insurance fees on ones own. Unsure what it truthfully costs to maintain a plane, will try and do more research into this.

All the best,

David

Welcome. There are some great people on this forum. I came from skydiving. I'm at a 121 regional now. If you want a fellow skydiver's perspective feel free to drop me a line.

Blue Skies

-Hawks

Does the DZ you jump at or a local reputable one have a 182? Most DZ's seem to want around 500 but your connections might help with that.

*hand salutes, get out of my plane.

Unfortunately not, all of the planes here are Twin Otters and other ME planes. Sometimes there are a few people that decide to fly in and jump etc, but nothing consistent. I was told that the city of Riverside has a nice airport and would likely provide better opportunities locally. Trying to keep my eyes peeled.

It seems that the farther North I go I can find planes as cheap as $70-100/hr wet rates versus the $100-200/hr down here in SoCal. So trying to weigh my options carefully.

Welcome. There are some great people on this forum. I came from skydiving. I'm at a 121 regional now. If you want a fellow skydiver's perspective feel free to drop me a line.

Blue Skies

-Hawks

Excellent! I will definitely keep that in mind, all the best.

If not outright buy, even a Flying club membership might save you some serious cash in the long run.

Welcome to JC, lots of experience here so don’t be afraid to ask. Just be ready to listen.

If not outright buy, even a Flying club membership might save you some serious cash in the long run.

Welcome to JC, lots of experience here so don’t be afraid to ask. Just be ready to listen.

Interesting! Thanks for the insight my friend, I will look into this as well. All the best!

Back