New president affect your decision?

pm577

For those of you in the application process, and especially those who have not made up their mind:

Will the outcome of the presidential election affect your decision to pursue this career?

I might get some heat about this... i.e. "why would you let something so insignificant affect something so important to you" ... or "if you're that unsure about ATC, then why bother." However I do believe this is a valid question.

Potential outcomes:
1) McCain (or McSame?): perhaps another 4 years of IWR and a disgruntled workforce. Possible contracting of ATC services.
2) Obama: return to the green book or something similar, good times for the next 4 years (albeit, slightly higher taxes likely)
3) Other: Congress passes a contract in the next 4 months and you'll get to assess your decision based on some new agreement.

You cannot let politics affect any of your decisions in real life as nothing they say can be trusted. Republican or Democrat. Therefore you cannot count on going back to the green book just because Obama is elected and you cannot count on things staying the same for McCain. you just can't count on anything. So if anyone is wishy-washy enough to care about the outcome of one political race when making career decisions, please drop out now and leave more room for the rest of us:rawk:

I really dont care who is gonna be Prez this is a great career pre IWR or with them. However it would make the transition alot smoother if the old pay rules came back and they had to renegotiate. So although i wont change my mind over the outcome I can say that I hope Obama wins and the "Dems" do something.

Nope, both candidates suck, IMHO. My motivations and ambitions for becoming an ATC are not linked to the current or future administration.

Won't affect my decision at all.

But those of you who doubt that Obama will do something to help the ATC workforce, read the speech he gave on the issue.

I looked for the link but can't seem to find it. I will look again later, but I got a final in 30 min and have to go to school.

If he does not do anything to help, any all support I have for him will vaporize.

Won't affect my decision at all.

But those of you who doubt that Obama will do something to help the ATC workforce, read the speech he gave on the issue.

I looked for the link but can't seem to find it. I will look again later, but I got a final in 30 min and have to go to school.

If he does not do anything to help, any all support I have for him will vaporize.

Go back and read the letter Reagan wrote before being elected...and prior to firing almost 12,000 controllers. You can't trust politicians. Once they are in office and have the pressures of making the decisions themselves, they begin to pander and cave in just like the rest of them.

You can't trust politicians. Once they are in office and have the pressures of making the decisions themselves, they begin to pander and cave in just like the rest of them.

I agree and disagree.
I think a politican returns to his core party values after the election.
If a Republican promises not to touch social security, don't take his word for it.
If a Democrat promises not to raise taxes, don't take his word for it.

Having Obama promise something for ATCers is different than Reagan doing the same. With Obama, his promise is in line with his party values.

When Gov. Schwarzenegger was elected, he promised to repeal the vehicle registration tax increase in California. After election, he swiftly enacted this promise, and that was easy for him because the promise was in line with his party's values.

For those of you in the application process, and especially those who have not made up their mind:

Will the outcome of the presidential election affect your decision to pursue this career?

I might get some heat about this... i.e. "why would you let something so insignificant affect something so important to you" ... or "if you're that unsure about ATC, then why bother." However I do believe this is a valid question.

Potential outcomes:
1) McCain (or McSame?): perhaps another 4 years of IWR and a disgruntled workforce. Possible contracting of ATC services.
2) Obama: return to the green book or something similar, good times for the next 4 years (albeit, slightly higher taxes likely)
3) Other: Congress passes a contract in the next 4 months and you'll get to assess your decision based on some new agreement.

Just to touch on this matter as a Federal Employee and a Union Steward at my Post Office (NALC). There's a overwhelming chance that your Union will support any Democratic Candidate who surfaces. Simply because the Democratic Party believes in a powerful Union or (reasonable contract negotiations) as the politicians call it. But even with that it's still a matter of timing such as contracts expiring and tenacity of Union Officials.
It's just not beneficial for the Republican Party to support the beliefs of the (NATCA) or any other Union at all. If it were up to the Republican Party at least half of the federal entities would be privatized. And as redundant as it sounds, "There is no room for big business in the Federal Sector." It's just not formulated to sustain it's integrity or existence if that were to happen.

So as you guys progress through whatever career path you choose remember this, "United We Bargain, Divided We Beg."

Go back and read the letter Reagan wrote before being elected...and prior to firing almost 12,000 controllers. You can't trust politicians. Once they are in office and have the pressures of making the decisions themselves, they begin to pander and cave in just like the rest of them.

You can not really blame Reagan for firing ATC. It is illegal for federal employess to go on strike. ATC made a choice to go on strike and not to go back to work once Reagan told them to do so.

You can really blame Reagan for firing ATC. It is illegal for federal employess to go on strike. ATC made a choice to go on strike and not to go back to work once Reagan told them to do so.

Blame Reagan? Or THANK him? Love him, or hate him---If it wasn't for him, many people on here wouldn't be presented with the opportunity...

You can really blame Reagan for firing ATC. It is illegal for federal employess to go on strike. ATC made a choice to go on strike and not to go back to work once Reagan told them to do so.

I don't blame him., I don't even really care. But I will say that the fact that you cannot go on strike is what makes it imperative that the agency you work for approaches the bargaining table in good faith. Being as how you inherently have no real leverage, there should be laws and rules to help you along, it is only fair.

P.S. I still don't trust either of them.

You can not really blame Reagan for firing ATC. It is illegal for federal employess to go on strike. ATC made a choice to go on strike and not to go back to work once Reagan told them to do so.

I'm always troubled by the idea that a strike has to be sanctioned. Like the airlines, the railroaders cannot go on strike until everything else (including mediation) has been exhausted. Practically speaking, that means we cannot strike.

If a group of people chooses not to work because their pay is not befitting of their labor, then should they not have the right to walk out? What else are we then, if we do not allow employees to walk out on the job.... slaves or indentured servants?

I'm always troubled by the idea that a strike has to be sanctioned. Like the airlines, the railroaders cannot go on strike until everything else (including mediation) has been exhausted. Practically speaking, that means we cannot strike.

If a group of people chooses not to work because their pay is not befitting of their labor, then should they not have the right to walk out? What else are we then, if we do not allow employees to walk out on the job.... slaves or indentured servants?

I see your point but we all know going into this profession that there will always be disputes between the FAA and ATC's. With that being said we know that the U.S. President can force federal empoyees back to work or be fired. To answer your question , ATC's are indentured servants.

Back