New Instrument Rating

nkenagy

I've been lurking on JC for a while, but thought I would share about my recently completed Instrument Rating.
Some background. I obtained my ASEL private in 1975 at the Aero Club on Vandenberg AFB. Nothing like learning on a 10,000 ft long, 200 ft wide controlled runway (it's 15000 ft now, but I'm pretty sure the last mile was added after I moved on so it could serve as a Space Shuttle backup runway .) Shortly after completing the private, I was transferred to bases without Aero Clubs and didn't have the funds to pay for the fees at private airports. I regained currency a couple times since then, as I left the USAF, earned a CompSci degree, and worked in the software industry for the last 28 years . I decided last August to take up flying again, and quickly completed a BFR. I decided having a goal was a good idea, so I enrolled in the 141 Instrument Rating program at Pilot's Choice in Georgetown, TX where a long-time friend and JCer, jerrywhite7, was teaching. Jerry is a great instructor. He sets high standards and is tough, but is constantly encouraging, looking for areas to praise. The program is based on the Jeppesen curriculum and I flew in Piper Warriors and Archers, generally equipped with Garmin 430W GPS, no ADF, and no AP.
I had 82 hours when I took the first Instrument lesson and had 144 when I completed. Around 10 of those 62 hours were personal non-training flights and the check ride (2.2 to the check airport and back, 2 hours for the check ride), leaving around 52 in actual lesson time. I suspect that up to 12 of that could have been avoided if I was determined to accomplish it in minimum time. First, by keeping a regular schedule and flying every week. Unfortunately, family, business travel, work schedules, weather, and other facts of life can interrupt that. I also chose to do two X-country IFR training flights rather than one, including one into the DFW class B space. At the end, aircraft scheduling and the recent bad weather caused some delays. I knew I wanted my last refresher flight to be within a few days of the check ride, so I had two extra final lessons as the check ride was pushed out. The time includes 43 hours under the hood, 4 hours in IMC, and 4 hours at night. There were 82 approaches, 60 landings, and we did holds on 14 of the flights (too dizzy to count the times around the circuit.) Total number of flights was 32.
I spent around $2400 for non-flight items including a LightSpeed Zulu headset, the Jeppesen Instrument/Commercial course kit, several IFR books (I like to read), charts, LaserGrade written exam fee, ground school fee, and DPE fee. I spend around $9000 for aircraft rental, dual, and ground instruction, including the 141 stage checks.
The ground school was based on the Jeppesen book with a mix of live teaching by a very experienced CFII at the school and the Jeppesen DVDs. We had three course exams. I also read the Machado IFR book and the ASA Advanced Flight book. Before the written I used the Jeppesen test prep and I practiced using some free websites, including http://www.exams4pilots.org/faatest.cgi. I got an 88 on the test, having seen probably 2/3rds of the questions in the practice books. I should have been in the 90s, but missed 3 or 4 questions I knew the answer to including two questions on dual VOR checks. I knew it is 4 degrees, not 6, but somehow brainlocked and missed it twice. TWICE, what a maroon.

I was well-prepped for the check ride and I did really well. The weather was cold, but ceiling and visibility unlimited with less than 5 knots wind and very smooth sky. The check included 30 minutes on paperwork for me and the aircraft. A little over an hour of oral. Questions on icing, reading weather charts, regulations, IFR currency, instrument systems, static blockage symptoms, gyro failure, lost comms procedures, IFR fuel minimums, alternate requirements, radio procedures, ways to open and close flight plans, and some others. We then went through different details on the plates for the approaches in the check ride, an ILS, an RNAV and a VOR. We reviewed the low-enroute chart for the area and he asked about the different items, including distances, MOCAs, MEAs, various route types, airport colors, why localizer feathers show up on the enroute chart. The examiner then went through the planning for the flight, verified that I calculated correctly for winds aloft and fuel burn. Finally he explained the plans for the flight portion, talked through control exchange, ensured I knew he would not be the PIC.
The flight was straight forward and went well except for one item. I had reviewed numerous times the approaches the DPE generally used. I knew the RNAV was 4000 across the IAF level to the IF, then descend to 3000 for the FAF. I had reviewed it so many times I verbalized "cross at 4000 then descend to 3000" as I crossed the IAF and pushed forward on the yoke, within about 25-50 feet of descent, I realized it wasn't time yet and corrected to stay at 4000. The DPE said, "You almost had a really bad day." Got back on track and nailed the rest of the flight. Almost no wind, so the hold was straight-forward without a need for any correction. Went partial panel on the VOR approach, but was lined up and stabilized and stayed straight on course. Remembered to start the timer on both the ILS and the VOR, an item I had struggled with. Radio comms went well.
Now I've got my rating, will probably work on my commercial next (already passed the written.)

Thanks for sharing the story Sir. Congratulations on the rating and welcome. Georgetown is nice airport I have friends based there hope to visit some day.

Neil, Great post! If more students were like you, they would finish up ratings in realistic time frames. For all you cool cats out there looking to get ANY sorta of rating, take a note from Mr. Neil here.. .

He showed up ready to go for every single flight. If we were to fly at 10 am, he was ready to go, plane pre-flighted (is that a word?) and ready to go at 10. He was eager to study on his own, and not be spoon fed for every aspect of the course. He asked questions. He did not let bad flights affect him for the next flight, in fact, he would take issues that he had on a "bad" portion of a flight and LEARN from them. Great attitude as well. A positve attitude during a tough rating like the instrument goes a long, long way.
He was also very open to listen and learn from the instructor. This may seem like a no brainer, but some of the worst students I've been around, all have the same common issue. They argue or dont listen to the instructor. "Finger Fly, let the airplane do the work". . ."Why?" . . . "because it makes life much easier when we really multitask you up, and you dont have to fight the airplane." . . . "well, thats not the way, I think is should be done!" .. . "ok" fast forward, 10 hours, "so why are we still on BIA?"

Anyway, Neil is one of those types that all instructors WANT TO HAVE! I felt a great honor in getting to teach him. Great job!
now .. . NEXT SUCKA, I MEAN "STUDENT" PLEASE!!

Back