New Delta 737-700 replacing 757 to Quito?

Trip7

I keep hearing the Quito flying is going to the 737-700. Why would Delta replace a much larger plane like the 757 on such a long route? Are they increasing frequency?

Hmm. . .that's interesting.

Not sure of your source, but the two sources I had dinner with on Weds. indicated no specific destination fleet changes as of yet for any South American destinations.

I keep hearing the Quito flying is going to the 737-700. Why would Delta replace a much larger plane like the 757 on such a long route? Are they increasing frequency?

You are getting into the arcane world of revenue where some wizard studies the loads and decides, "We know we have a demand for route A and it is almost always full. We can put a smaller airplane on that route and ALWAYS have it full and we can take the airplane with more seats and use it in another market."

It all boils down to having the most expensive butts in the available seats.

Its a matter of performance. The -700 has much better hot and high altitude airport performance than the 757. With the 757 we have depart with less gas and make a stop at Guayaquil to fuel up.

Its a matter of performance. The -700 has much better hot and high altitude airport performance than the 757. With the 757 we have depart with less gas and make a stop at Guayaquil to fuel up.

Thanks that makes alot of sense now. I thought the 757 was as good as it gets on performance.

I have a question..Isn't Quito one of the more challenging airports for you pilots?

I was in Quito in the mid 70s and came from Quito to MIA on an Equatoriana 707 or possibly a 720. We powered up and just sat on the runway. After a while we finally began moving and the takeoff run was well over 90 seconds. We finally made lift and got airborne.

I was able to get into the cockpit and the Capt was an IASCO fellow training Equadorians on how to fly the thing.. old SAC guy with lots of -135 experience and chewing on the mandatory cigar.

Do you guys wear the masks for approach?

A guy I know blew a motor on a MGWTO on a DC-8.

He's known as "Yoda", and said he was shaking like a leaf when he got it back on terra firma.

When someone with far better skills than I'll ever have says that, you know it's a no-joke deal.

Back