New airport in ATL

mastermags

Well-Known Member *giggity*
Does anyone have any in the know or information about the new airport under construction near the DALAS intersection? I saw the area had been cleared for a few months and now I notice they have poured the runway concrete, but I have heard nothing about this airport.

Isn't that where the old racetrack was? Man, it amazes me how much the ATL has grown since I left...

I remember going out there on Christmas day for the annual "muddin' fest" ...oh the memories!

I am glad that they are actually building an airport instead of destroying one!:)

I took a look from the air the other day. There appears to be an old segmented circle there. Was there maybe an older airport on that site ?

Isn't that where the old racetrack was? Man, it amazes me how much the ATL has grown since I left...

I remember going out there on Christmas day for the annual "muddin' fest" ...oh the memories!

I am glad that they are actually building an airport instead of destroying one!:)

If you're referring to the dragstrip, no its still there and is about 8-9 miles NE of there. Though I heard it was closed and a developer bought it up and was going to turn it into *another* subdivision or strip mall. Like we don't have enough of those around here as it is.

Google maps (which still has the pre-construction aerial photo) doesn't show much being there before but trees.

I took a look from the air the other day. There appears to be an old segmented circle there. Was there maybe an older airport on that site ?
Unless it was a private strip, there wasn't anything there that I'm aware of. The City of Atlanta actually owned that property and still owns almost all the property surrounding it. Back in the 80s that was supposed to be one of the planned locations for the Hartsfield reliever, the other possibility being somewhere up near Dawsonville. With all the budget problems they've been having in the past 5-6 years, the city council was put under a ton of pressure to sell some or all of both properties. In terms of planning and permit time, this airport has been built VERY quickly, owing in part that Atlanta had already done a good deal of the legwork and paperwork needed to construct an airport on that site. It was just a matter of transferring it all to Paulding County.

It is supposed to open in November (pushed back from this month) but I think that might be a little ambitious, or else they're just talking about having the actual runway and taxiways open and sticking a portable unit out there for an FBO at the moment.

If any of you guys have FSX, I created the airport AFCAD and terrain .bgl for Paulding County using the available information out there if any of you are interested.

Back