Neuropathy end of flying for me?

Athena

I recently started having difficulty with an undiagnosed neurological disorder that has caused my fourth and fifth fingers on both hands curl into my palms. I am walking with the help of a walker. My preliminary diagnosis says polyneuropathies (neuromuscular pain) and arthralagias (joint pain). I just found out a week or so ago from my grandmother that we have a family history of a neuropathic disorder called Charcot Marie Tooth Disease. It has a 50% chance of being passed from mother to child and my mother has it. Does anyone know if the FAA has a ruling on that specific disease?
yeahthat.gif

[ QUOTE ]
FAR 67.109

Neurologic standards for a first-class airman medical certificate are:

(a) No established medical history or clinical diagnosis of any of the following:

(1) Epilepsy;

(2) A disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause; or

(3) A transient loss of control of nervous system function(s) without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause.

(b) No other seizure disorder, disturbance of consciousness, or neurologic condition that the Federal Air Surgeon, based on the case history and appropriate, qualified medical judgment relating to the condition involved, finds—

(1) Makes the person unable to safely perform the duties or exercise the privileges of the airman certificate applied for or held; or

(2) May reasonably be expected, for the maximum duration of the airman medical certificate applied for or held, to make the person unable to perform those duties or exercise those privileges.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this one is gonna fall under "ask the AME." If it intereferes with your ability to safely operate an aircraft, it's a no go. Otherwise, it might be left up to the individual AME.

Damn...not the answer I wanted. Thankyou. I guess I will just have to hope I get better if i am gonna ever fly again. If I can't, I must say that flying is prolly one of my favorite experiences of my life. I can fly a desk though! To aviation management with me!!!!!!!!
nana2.gif

Back