Networking with Southwest pilots

DavCo

I am just looking to meet a few Southwest pilots, network and gain a little insight as to how best prepare myself for when the company starts hiring again...

" . . .gain a little insight as to how best prepare myself for when the company starts hiring again... "

Assuming you don't have anywhere near the minimums, get a flying job and go fly.

If you have our mins and fly for a CASS carrier, jumpseat on Southwest.

I have about 1500 tt and fly for Lakes... I have jumpseated on Southwest, but every little bit helps. We mostly bs up there... hopefully by the time they are hiring I'd like to be in the position to get hired asap.

You're in a 737 with two Southwest pilots who have successfully gotten through the interview process. BS'ing is fine, but make sure to ask questions about how they got on with Southwest. Just don't try to wargame our application process.

So I have had a few jobs on the ramp, mostly for regional carriers, and have found it easy to network with pilots. I'm about to begin with Southwest and wonder if it will be at all possible to network with the SWA pilots. At previous jobs it was easy because the pilots were on ground level and it was at a hub station. With SWA I will be working at a down-line with the pilots rarely being out on the actual ramp. So anyone have any experience with networking as a Southwest ramper at a down-line?

You're in a 737 with two Southwest pilots who have successfully gotten through the interview process. BS'ing is fine, but make sure to ask questions about how they got on with Southwest. Just don't try to wargame our application process.

There is really no way to wargame the app process... I have made quite a few contacts there and really enjoy the atmosphere. One has recommended the Mentee program but I have yet to hear back from them. Do you know much about the program?

Hey- I have a senior Captain who's been with them over 20 years; in his words - " the whole place is falling apart, and would not be surprised to see lay-offs coming under the new management."

But if that's what you want go for it, but remember if lay-off start its at the lowest seniority level first.

Hey- I have a senior Captain who's been with them over 20 years; in his words - " the whole place is falling apart, and would not be surprised to see lay-offs coming under the new management."

But if that's what you want go for it, but remember if lay-off start its at the lowest seniority level first.

I have heard some gripes, and I know SWA isn't growing right now. SWA hasn't furloughed in its history. I won't have the time till sometime next year anyway so I'll be fortunate enough to see how it all plays out.

Back