Networking Basics?

JK7177

I've never really been good at networking, i have a hard time with small talk and introducing myself to people in general. I was wondering if you guys would give me some tips on some networking basics.

Thanks,

JK

I've never really been good at networking, i have a hard time with small talk and introducing myself to people in general. I was wondering if you guys would give me some tips on some networking basics.

Thanks,

JK

As hard as it may be for you, and other people like you, you have to do the very things you just mentioned. Small talk is definitely a must. Small talk a lot of times leads into longer conversations, and even friendships. It's been my observation that small talk can potentially lead to interviews. If you make friends with pilots, pilots are very good about helping you out in getting you a job at their companies.

I know it maybe hard for you, and probably not in your personality type. But I would say the best advice I could give you is to just try your best in opening up and starting casual conversation. It may be hard then, and at that moment, but it could be your potential future.

Thanks,

JK

I'm in the same boat. Personally I just start asking questions about their planes. Every Pilot loves to talk about flying.

Best advice, talk about the other person. Everyone wants to be "special" and if you show interest in them, listen well and compliment them, you will succeed in meeting people. Eventualy, they will ask about you and the network develops.

Also, PM folks you meet on JC. It is a great place to meet folks. There are quite a few here who now have flying jobs because someone they met on the board walked their application into the Chief Pilot's office.

It's a fine line. I've met and recommended for employment some cool guys. I've also run across gladhanding jokers who immediately excuse themselves when they realize I don't have a job they want. I personally wouldn't recommend the later "hang around the airport, smile, and pretend to be interested in other people so you can pimp them" type to fly a kite, and would in fact actively try to to torpedo their chances. I guess I'm a vindictive jerk. Maybe that's why I fly alone.

Anyway, be sociable, it doesn't hurt, but you don't need to force it or pretend to be someone you're not. The sort of people I'd recommend don't need a "strategy" for networking, they're just normal guys who you get to know.

Back