Need some career advice from the real world.

CJewett

New here, first post. Hows it going?

I'm a USAF C-130 pilot in Japan and will be getting out of the mil within the next year. I came to flying later than my peers and only managed to rack up about 1550 hours (mostly C-130 time or T1/T37). I will be able to do the MEA for my Commercial/Instrument, then I will go get my ATP when I move back to the states. Maybe even a type rating of some sort.

So, my question is, where do I fit in to the hiring strata of todays airlines? From what I can find it looks like I meet a lot of the mins for larger airlines but would not be competitive. Should I start at a regional? How competitive would I be at a cargo company (FedEx, UPS, Polar etc).

Is there a resource that I haven't found yet that will answer these questions?

Thanks

If you meet the mins for any of the majors, there's no harm in applying. I'd also look into corporate jobs as well. With military flying in the C-130, you've got a big leg up since you have turbine time. IMO, you should be able to forego the regionals and get on with either a major (CAL may be hiring soon), a corporate or fractional carrier or one of the cargo carriers. If you have over 1000 turbine PIC, you could also try Southwest.

It doesn't look like you have the hours to get on at a major. Maybe get on at a regional and move into a reserve or guard unit to make some extra cash until you can get on at a major. I'm currently a first year FO at a regional and an E-5 in the AF Reserves. I make an extra $800/mo by working about 6 days a month out at the base. It makes a HUGE difference. Being an Officer, you'd easily make twice what I make working the same number of days.
If I were in your shoes, I'd apply to all the airlines you can, also apply for guard/reserve spots. Take the airline job first, then take military leave to train for the guard slot.
A guy in my newhire class started UPT during ground school. He was there about 3 weeks and keeps his senority number. By the time he's fully qualified, he'll be in his 3rd year. That's $36/hr vs. $19/hr for the first year.

What's the breakdown of your hours? How much turbine PIC? That's the barometer the majors (including the 121 cargo carriers) are interested in. All pilots are not equal in the eyes of the majors, and thus your military background may allow you to bypass the regionals. A fighter guy with 1500 hrs, for instance, can apply straight to the big-leagues. A C-130 guy with that kinda time might be able to, as well.

My hours break down is: 1570 Total -1500 Turbine and multi - 700 PIC.

So how big is the emphasis on turbine time over PIC or total time?

I just helped a buddy of mine get on at UPS. He was a checkairman on the RJ and probably had 4000 PIC turbine, I honestly don't know exactly.

UPS stated mins are 1000 PIC turbine. At least one recommendation from a UPS pilot, a degree, and turbine PIC well in excess of the mins make up the averages of the guys currently getting hired. Pilots from the majors and jet time seems to be prefered. In fact, my friend said that 75% of his last class came from other large airlines and had Boeing time. Only one was corporate, five from regionals, and three direct from military. Many have military backgrounds but few come directly from the military.

Where are you at with 700 PIC turbine? Probably not gonna happen at UPS until the mins come down (don't hold your breath). Maybe you'd have a shot at some of the other good majors. You could buy a type rating and shoot for Southwest, especially if you know someone there. But, that could hurt you if you look for a job at a regional, since it's obvious you don't want to stick around long. In fact, you could be in a bad position for some regionals with your background. Some of them would rather hire 300 hour guys they know won't be going anywhere for a long time. I wouldn't want to work for one of those outfits, anyway. The Skywests and Horizons would give you a look, especially if you know somebody.

Flightinfo.com is a bigger, meaner, version of this board. There are a lot more professional pilots over there but a lot more crap you have to wade through. I'd highly recommend you post you're question over there too, though.

If you have the option of staying in a bit longer and coming out with a couple thousand PIC turbine, you'd be better off money wise, time wise, and have better options when you come out. I guess it all depends on what's important to you right now. Getting out now just to get on any kind of seniority list wouldn't be a big priority if I were you, especially if you have the option of staying in for a couple more years. Maybe you could get on full time at a guard unit?

[ QUOTE ]
My hours break down is: 1570 Total -1500 Turbine and multi - 700 PIC.

So how big is the emphasis on turbine time over PIC or total time?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the majors, the emphasis is on Turbine PIC, specifically. They don't much care about total time or total PIC time or even turbine SIC time (though turbine SIC is of greater importance to regional carriers), they care about PIC time in turbine equipment.

Think about putting in an app at Lynden Air Cargo or Southern Air Transport?

Great advice guys/gals thanks.

I've got an opportunity to get out of the military and I'm jumping on it! If that makes getting a good job harder initially then so be it. I'm single, got the GI bill to pay for flight ratings and only need enough money for essentials. I may consider guard or reserves but if at all possible I would like a break from the military in general.

So it looks like I need to find a way to get some more turbine PIC time.

At a regional does a FO ever get to log PIC?

Why don't you stay in for a while more and rack up more time ? Would it be hard for you to retrain into a C-17 slot and rack up some jet time? I'm in the Air Force to (enlisted) 4 years active and 7 years AF reserves still in as a reservist and 9 more for 20yrs. Are you at Yokota? I was there in 1994 thru 1996 as an ATC tower controller. Japan was a blast! The COLA was great. Me and my wife are comin to Japan to visit her family at the end of next week. Still doing opposites to RWY 36 and 18, teardrops and parachute drops? Call Sign still "KANTO" ?

I would stay in a while longer if I were you. But that's just me. I just settled in here in Arlington, Texas and also planing to become a commercial arline pilot. I will either attend Skymates or ATP at the Arlington Municipal Airport.

Good luck sir,

Nalu
nana2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
"At a regional does a FO ever get to log PIC?"

No

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. If you are typed in the airplane you can log PIC in Part 914 flying. There is a guy at my airline who is an instructor. Has a type rating, but no ATP (not enough hours). He flies the line as an FO, and does Part 91 flights on the airplane as PIC. I can happen.

I think the question had to do with real life, normal ops. In general, at a regional airline, the F/O does not log PIC. Would you care to offer up a guess of the percentage of regional flights in the US where the F/O logs PIC? Your opinion on an educated guess is fine...

I'm in a similar situation as a P-3 pilot in the Navy. My one bit of advice would be to strongly consider the reserves. I'm assuming AF reserve is similar in benefits to the Navy. Besides the extra money on the side and continued flight time you'll get retirement benefits starting at age 60. Again, that may not be much money, but it includes medical benefits. Things like free prescriptions are something that an airline pension probably won't cover. That's if airline pensions still exist in the future.

Back