Need help to open eyes for future students

dcapilot said:
It's easy for people to say that DCA took their money and treated them like crap....but still continue to attend THROUGH their CFI rating. If it was that bad of a place, why not pack up and leave after PVT or INST? Also, you say that you had over 300 hours when you completed the program? That's kinda high...It is common sense that if it takes someone extra flights to complete a rating, then it's going to cost more....hopefully you wouldn't need an admission rep to tell you that.

By the way, the President of DCA drives a $40,000 BMW.

I'm only replying because I'm a car nut, but from what I remember it was a newer silver Mercedes SL class (SL500 possibly) that she drove (president), and yes, those are in the $90k range. hobo, I also was wondering who drives the new yellow GT3 Porsche in the employee lot ($115k car). I'm just jealous because that's probably my favorite car regardless of cost.

Well, I haven't been a student at DCA for over 2 years....so my numbers are going to be quite different than numbers now. The people you are talking about must have struggled with something if they are finishing their CSE with 250 hours! I completed CFII with a little less than 250 and trust me, I was no rock star. The numbers I was quoted by admissions and the numbers that I actually spent were different, but not much...if I remember right, they differed by about $2,000 (books, flight time, etc TOGETHER)

There will always be nay-sayers and those with the sour grapes attitudes. The individuals that always grab on to the vague complaints (I WAS TREATED LIKE CRAP....I WAS NEVER GIVEN A STRAIGHT ANSWER!!!---BOOO HOOO) are just trying to make a scene. Let's hear how you were treated like crap...how were you not given a straight answer?

But no, these individuals always stoop to something like "the president drives a $90k car". How in the world does the type car the president drive have anything to do with the operating practices of Delta Connection Academy? The fact that the FORMER president can afford a VERY nice car has nothing to do with the quality of the aircraft.

951fan said:
I'm only replying because I'm a car nut, but from what I remember it was a newer silver Mercedes SL class (SL500 possibly) that she drove (president), and yes, those are in the $90k range. hobo, I also was wondering who drives the new yellow GT3 Porsche in the employee lot ($115k car). I'm just jealous because that's probably my favorite car regardless of cost.

The Porsche belongs to the IT Director

If the president of DCA is a female, then she is the same one that went from Riddle's Grad School directly into that school (Comair Academy) without being in the business world. Talk about on the job training!

ERJ-135 said:
If the president of DCA is a female, then she is the same one that went from Riddle's Grad School directly into that school (Comair Academy) without being in the business world. Talk about on the job training!

Nah, I don't think she's there anymore.

sorry fellas-

you have too much free time to worry about what car is driven by whoever is in a managerial postion above you. focus on what YOU need to do.
Look at any business in a free capitalistic market. this is how it works. yes DCA charges too much, however, by arguing over a car, is that going to change it? Nope. Put it this way, I don't want to work for a company that has a president with a worse car than me. (unless there is a great IPO opp, haha .).

husky16 said:
Put it this way, I don't want to work for a company that has a president with a worse car than me. (unless there is a great IPO opp, haha .).

But you'll gladly work for a company that is bankrupt at $10/hr as a CFI to get an interview for a FO job they may not have for you? Oh, and that's after you gave them $70k-$85k to train. Seems pretty logical...

Overall DCA from what ive heard used to be a good school that was the "hot ticket" to getting an airline job, many pilots who graduated from the program many years ago speak nothing but good things about it. I think as the various garunteed regional interviews disapear with DCA, such as ASA and soon to be Comair, the situation at DCA will only get worse, I don't think American Eagle is going to be quite as anxious hiring someone from DCA with set amount of hours, they will probably raise the minumum hours requirments keeping the flight instructors for a longer period of time. I have a quite ironic story as well as it relates to the hiring of instructors at DCA into regional carriers like Comair and ASA etc...... A couple buddies of mine both have competive hours for a regional job, they went to a job fair in Nashville to submit their resumes to various airlines. When they came to Comair's table the guy was very arogant with them and being that they were both flight instructors back home they were telling him their current employment. The guy at the Comair table promptly told them "well, thats too bad cause we don't hire flight instructors"............what the? doesn't Comair hire CFI's out of DCA? I find that very interesting. I guess they don't want a cessna CFI flying an RJ, they must not make good RJ pilots......lol

My other question is about Delta and Comair. From what ive heard is there is a serious grudge between the Delta and Comair pilots, is this all from the union walkout thing that Delta's pilots had and comair didn't support them? or is it more than just that? Perhaps Doug knows?

Susans' Gone??!

So I understand Susan Burrell left. Was she canned or left voluntarily? Man things change fast down there!! Any more shake- ups besides airlines pulling out of the interview thing??

P.S. at Comair folks wondered why so many high level executives left, like Ralph Lee, etc. folks that were pretty popular and for the most part treated thier employees well.

Well, you saw what happened there. You guys/gals that are left at DCA, keep your head up, and a ear to the ground. Things change fast in this industry- don't get screwed along the way.

Futr, yes there is a serious grudge between Comair and Delta pilots.

Those guys probaly wouldn't piss on each other if they were on fire! I think Jerry Springer could film a show down there at CVG.

FutrPilot said:
My other question is about Delta and Comair. From what ive heard is there is a serious grudge between the Delta and Comair pilots, is this all from the union walkout thing that Delta's pilots had and comair didn't support them? or is it more than just that? Perhaps Doug knows?

I generally don't comment on stuff because I'm often misquoted, but I wouldn't call it a serious grudge.

Our union supported the strike, played a large role in running the strike center and gladly paid assessments to support the striking families.

When 9/11 hit, we had massive furloughs and instead of offering jobs to the furloughed pilots, as ASA did, the Comair MEC and the company said, "No thanks, you can apply from the outside, resign your seniority number and (very roughly) 'there will be CRM problems with Delta furloughed pilots in the cockpit with Comair pilots'".

So, the impression is that we went to bat for them during their darkest hours, but when the tables turned, they weren't there for our furloughed pilots at all.

That's a rough paraphrase and my memory isn't all that great of the situation back then.

Bastard...just so you know, Susan Burrell reluctantly resigned due to personal health issues. Hopefully she is doing well.

Hope she's well

DCA Pilot, man that sucks heavy!! I wish her a speedy recovery and thanks for the clarification Doug. However in personal experience, I've seen Delta Pilots look at Comair Pilots like they could kill em- Well, mean-generally, I guess.

Susan, I wish you a speedy recovery!!!

dcapilot- if it took you 250 hours to finish cfii how did you still finish in the advertised price? that price is based on around 170 hours of flying plus all the ground schools.

FO_SHIZZLE said:
I heard it was Tom Montgomery

The school will have a decent shot at doing something right with Tom at the healm. Great guy, never heard any complaints about him. As for Susan, my she rot in #&!!.

Doug,

correct me if I am wrong here because I am honestly not trying to make anyone mad, especially you. What i heard about the grudge between Comair and Delta pilots was that when Delta was doing well, they wanted nothing to do with a "flow through" agreement with Comair. However, when Delta started with the furloughs, the Delta pilots were upset that Comair would not let the less senior Delta pilots flow back down to Comair. any truth to that?

dcapilot said:
By the way, the President of DCA drives a $40,000 BMW.

That BMW is 4 years old! The new President is extremely involved in the Academy, I see him everyday. Besides, that 4 year old Beamer is nothing compared to the $100K Mercedes the previous President drove, what does that tell you...

Back