Need camera help

AAPalmTree

Looking for a good beginner camera. Have a little one at home and would like something better than just iphone pictures. We are an "apple family" so we'd like something compatible.

Suggestions?

What do you want to shoot? How much do you want to spend? I got a used Nikon D7200 and have been enjoying it.

I got a used Nikon D7200 and have been enjoying it.

It is excellent. Possibly overkill. The D3300 takes the same pictures for much less, and it is lighter. I'm more likely to travel with mine, for those reasons. But both are fantastic cameras.

We will use the camera mostly for the kid. Budget is somewhat flexible.

A flash you can bounce off of the ceiling and tape a bounce card to will be the single biggest thing that will improve your pictures. For Nikon, the SB-400 is fine, the SB-700 is fine too, but bigger. Most Nikons have a built-in flash, they aren't powerful enough as a fill in daylight, and you can't bounce them, which are the two things you need most.

The cheap 18-55 Nikon lenses are fine, I wouldn't get anything else until you think you need it for something specific.

The biggest reasons for using an SLR are attaching flashes, being able to change lenses, and fast frame rates. Fast auto focus and frame rates are important for getting pictures of kids and pets. I would suggest a D-3200 with the 18-55VR lens, and plan on getting a better flash at some point. Should be less than $500. Whatever Canon has in that price range is fine too.

Back