Need Advice

Wardogg

Meat Popsicle
I have a very unique situation that will probably remove my anonymity to the hiring body just by posing the question, but I appear to be at a roadblock I cannot seem to get over it, so I am looking for advice.

This is where it gets tl;dr.....

As of Nov last year(2018) the Feds rewrote FAR 61.159, which is the Aeronautical experience: Airplane category rating (or the 1500 hour rule) which is described in paragraph (a): Except as provided in paragraphs (b), (c), and (d) of this section, a person who is applying for an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category and class rating must have at least 1,500 hours of total time as a pilot that includes at least......follow on regulations XC time, Inst time, etc...

The reg is so new that if you have the printed ASA FAR/AIM 2019 it was written with the old reg. The updated reg can be read here:

So the Feds split the old 61.159(c), which dealt with SIC time and FE time and how that can be applied to the 1500 hr rule, into two new paragraphs. The new paragraphs (c) deals with SIC time and (d) which now specifically deals with FE time and how it applies to the 1500 hour rule. My situation is directly related to 61.159(d)(2) which states:

(d) A commercial pilot may log the following flight engineer flight time toward the 1,500 hours of total time as a pilot required by paragraph (a) of this section and the total time as a pilot required by §61.160:

(1) Civilian FE time....

(2) Flight-engineer time, provided the flight time—
(i) Is acquired as a U.S. Armed Forces' flight engineer crewmember in an airplane that requires a flight engineer crewmember by the flight manual;
(ii) Is acquired while the person is participating in a flight engineer crewmember training program for the U.S. Armed Forces; and
(iii) Does not exceed 1 hour for each 3 hours of flight engineer flight time for a total credited time of no more than 500 hours.

So I meet the requirements of (2)(i)(ii)(iii), and I have highlighted the part in bold because this is the part that was added by the Feds to the old rule. Before, they way the old rule was written you could only apply the 3 to 1 hours to the 1500 hour requirement from paragraph (a) for the ATP and that appeared to be it.

However, the plot thickens. There was a letter of interpretation from 2016 where a military FE asked the question about applying FE time in 61.159(c)(old rule) towards 61.160(f) which deals with the R-ATP.

In the letter of interpretation, the Feds stated that yes, the FE could apply the time towards 61.160(f) which is the R-ATP at 1500 hours when the cross country time is shortened to 200 hours. However, in the interpretation letter the FAA states this:

"Moreover, 61.159 does not contain an express limitation on the applicability of 61.159(c)(which is the old rule for FE time) toward 61.160. If the FAA had intended such a limitation, it would have expressly included such a limitation as it did when it limited the number of hours of the total aeronautical experience requirements of 61.159(a) and 61.160 that could be obtained in a full flight simulator or flight training device See 14CFR61.159(a)(6)."

So then in Nov of 2018 the rule was rewritten to include the bolded part above.... and the total time as a pilot required by §61.160. The Feds did not put a subparagraph attachment to that rule, so as it is written now I read that to mean that I could apply FE time to all of 61.160. With that being said my situation is this. I am a CFI building time for my first regional job. I meet all the other requirements for 61.160(b) other than I don't meet the 1000 hours of total time. If I am allowed to apply my 3 to 1 hours up to 500 hours of FE time towards my total time, then I would meet all the requirements of the R-ATP according to 61.160(b)

Unfortunately I cannot seem to get my regional of choice to agree to operate under this new regulation. They are stating that OKC has stated I cannot apply FE time to 61.160 even thought the reg states otherwise. So it is not that it is a company policy not to put me through class because of an internal reason, they are stating the Feds will not allow it. I am in a "cadet" program with a Sept class date. If I am not allowed to apply my FE time towards my total time required by 61.160(b) I am afraid I am not going to have the required hours by Sept.

As I see it I have a few options:
1. Apply to other regionals and see if they are being guided by the new reg (I have it third hand that one in particular has already hired an FE based on the new rule and put him through the class)
2. Continue to tactfully "pester" the regional of choice and try to convince them that it is acceptable to operate under the new reg. (Maybe calling OKC myself? I'm not sure who I should speak too)
3. Stop into my local FSDO and see if I can get someone to give me a sanity check. And even if they agree with me, I am not sure how I would get the regional of choice to listen to my local FSDO.
4. Another option may be to call a company that actually puts on the ATP/CTP course and see if they would put me through on my own dime based on the current regulation. And if so, if I showed up to my class date at the regional of choice with the R-ATP already in hand but short of the 1000 61.160(b) hours, would they still turn me away?

The way I see it, if I just continue to build time until I have the logged 1000 hours, I am probably close to a year(9 months at my current rate) out of hitting the mark. Which is an eternity for a career changer with a family in tow, like me. Also a year worth of seniority I am giving up.

I welcome any an all advice. Am I crazy? Am I reading the regulation incorrectly? If the other regional is hiring based on the new reg how do I get that info to my regional of choice?

I'd definitely try to get a hold of someone at OKC, or at the regional's FSDO. I'm guessing the recruiters don't deal with FE's very often and are not aware of changes to the rules.
Also, you qualify for a 1000hr RATP? I thought mil was 750hr.

750 is the military pilot version of 61.160. I qualify for the 1000 because I went to school and got edjumacated!

Cool. See if you can find a real person to get in touch with in airmen certification at OKC and start a correspondence with them. Is the regional just turning you down flat out, or are they receptive to you trying to explain the situation? Maybe once you get something in writing from OKC, you can forward that to recruiting and get the fed's contact info to them to assuage any doubts they have.

I was kicking around the idea of going DEC to a regional a while back to wash off the 135 stink. 95% of the recruiters are idiots, convinced that only 121 PIC counts towards 121.436, and pretty much incapable of being persuaded otherwise by such witchcraft as, you know, reading them the relevant pages.

Keep after them, you will (usually) eventually find someone who is capable of independent thought.

I am currently beyond the recruiter. My latest correspondence has been with the director of training, who seems to agree with me, and sent all the info up to the CMO....certification management office? Who has since shot it down due to "a floor supervisor at OKC" who says I can only apply it to the 1500 hours

It is a bit peculiar how it's worded.

(e) An applicant who credits time under paragraphs (b), (c), and (d) of this section is issued an airline transport pilot certificate with the limitation, “Holder does not meet the pilot in command aeronautical experience requirements of ICAO,” as prescribed under Article 39 of the Convention on International Civil Aviation.

paragraph D is the only one that mentions 1500hr expressly. The logging of SIC in C refers to accumulating time "toward the aeronautical experience requirements of paragraph (a) of this section and the aeronautical experience requirements in §61.160"

I think that means that if I applied it towards the non restrictive ATP 1500 hours I couldn't be PIC until actually logging the 1500 hours.

*update*

I've spoken with the Director of training and the roadblock is with the local feds that the regional deals with for certification. They will not certify me based on how they are interpreting the reg.

I asked him if I came to the class date with the R-ATP already in hand would they turn me away and he said no. Because at that point they are just giving me the type rating. So the regional of choice is on my side but the local certification Fed office is not.

So do they do their own CTP in house? Maybe you can get it done elsewhere and work out the cost/reimbursement?
I'd see if other places would take you first. Kind of a silly reason to put your career on hold waiting to keep a local federale happy

*update*

I've spoken with the Director of training and the roadblock is with the local feds that the regional deals with for certification. They will not certify me based on how they are interpreting the reg.

I asked him if I came to the class date with the R-ATP already in hand would they turn me away and he said no. Because at that point they are just giving me the type rating. So the regional of choice is on my side but the local certification Fed office is not.
Make sure you want an answer, but try these guys - Office of the Chief Counsel

There was a guy I met that had some turbulence with his regional as a new hire because of technical issues with the R-ATP. He had 1,500TT, 500XC, etc... but wasn’t 23. He was eligible for the R-ATP only due to his on age, otherwise he was qualified for the ATP. As it’s turned out, they had authorization based on reduced TT and XC, but not age. It took a couple weeks before the regional was able to re-write their training manuals allowing an R-ATP based on age.

That might be the roadblock, complexity of the FE, R-ATP & confusion over reduced applicable minimums.

Strange what one FSDO interprets from another. When I did my type / ATP ride In May of 2018 I used my FE time towards the total time required.

Strange what one FSDO interprets from another. When I did my type / ATP ride In May of 2018 I used my FE time towards the total time required.
For a R-ATP? Now that I know it's a Fed issue it kind of pisses me off that they wont even follow their own rules when it is written in black and white.

For a R-ATP? Now that I know it's a Fed issue it kind of pisses me off that they wont even follow their own rules when it is written in black and white.

Yes an R-ATP. Because I didn’t have the XC time, I had 200 and change. My FE credit time was about 250 hours.

I was kicking around the idea of going DEC to a regional a while back to wash off the 135 stink. 95% of the recruiters are idiots, convinced that only 121 PIC counts towards 121.436, and pretty much incapable of being persuaded otherwise by such witchcraft as, you know, reading them the relevant pages.

Keep after them, you will (usually) eventually find someone who is capable of independent thought.
You couldn’t hold a gun to my head and make me work as a regional pilot recruiter nowadays. Whooee, no thanks.

You can make the local feds comply by going to the national feds.

Back