Navy F-18 Jet Crash in Neighborhood Near Miramar (marine?)

Re: Navy F/A-18 Crash in Neighborhood Near Miramar

11:55am this morning on final to Miramar.

Re: Navy F/A-18 Crash in Neighborhood Near Miramar

From the LA Times:

-18 crashes into San Diego neighborhood
12:27 PM, December 8, 2008
An F-18 military jet has crashed into homes near the Miramar Naval Air Station, authorities said.

There were no immediate words about injuries, but the Federal Aviation Administration said the pilot ejected from the plane beforehand. The crash occurred around noon.

TV footage shows smoke coming from a residential neighborhood about two miles from the air station.

-- Tony Perry and Rich Marosi

Re: Navy F/A-18 Jet Crash in Neighborhood Near Miramar

Just switched into CNN right now and I swear the first thing I hear:

"...an U.S Air Force F/A-18...":banghead:

Doesn't look good. Hope nobody was home.

Just switched into CNN right now and I swear the first thing I hear:

"...an U.S Air Force F/A-18...":banghead:

Doesn't look good. Hope nobody was home.

:laff::banghead: I saw that too. Idiots. Im sure its some ###### who thinks only the AF flies planes for the military. Research Research Research.
Perhaps we pilots are too critical about media coverage of anything aviation related? Nahhhh :D

No injury reports so far.

If I remember right, that's in Jace's neighborhood!

:laff::banghead: I saw that too. Idiots. Im sure its some ###### who thinks only the AF flies planes for the military. Research Research Research.
Perhaps we pilots are too critical about media coverage of anything aviation related? Nahhhh :D

We are too critical, which is why I wont even turn on CNN.

Well, that's another reason I don't get too bent out of shape when the financial media reports about GM: "It's all labor's fault! They're getting paid a million dollars an hour to turn a screw! pay cuts! pay cuts NOW!!! (insert Howard Dean 'Yeeeeeeeeeargh!')"

If they report aviation this poorly, chances are it's not the only thing.

Both pilots ejected safely! No word on injuries or fatalities on the ground from the crash site as of 1340 PST.

New news from SD 10 news 1340 PST: live interview a few blocks from the crash (4416 Cather, the Yeung's house (sp?)), the city council member (Marti Emerald) is right-now reporting that there may have been a mother and 2 young children in the house that was struck by the jet. No one can get near the jet because one of the ejection seats has not yet deployed and there are apparently calls into the Marines to determine what to do before approaching the house. They are also apparently worried about "toxic smoke" from the jet and house. Pictures of the house show only a piece of the garage left and the rest is collapsed rubble, flames, and dirt.

Blocks away, another reporter is right next to the remnants of the canopy. and they are showing the canopy caught on a fence with broken glass etc.

Plane involved was from the marine fighter attack training squadron 101. The plane came in low from west to east. Witnesses saw the gear down and saw the pilot eject about 1 mile from the end of the runway at miramar. Witness ("Don", a veteran for what it's worth) is now reporting that he was riding the bus back from the VA and saw the pilot eject. He is reporting that it appeared to him that the pilot stayed with the plane as long as he/she possibly could.

1350 Now being interviewed is a retired ATC: The jet going straight in from west to east, according to a retired ATC (from Miramar), is only done in an emergency. The ATC heard the engine with power at the time that it passed over him in a church parking lot to the west of the crash.

1355: official briefing is forthcoming....

more images:

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Report-Plane-Crashes-Near-UTC.html

more live images:

http://www.kusi.com/

1428 PST: More info from KUSI news: the plane lost an engine, tried to make it in and the second engine then failed. This is as reported by a Jason Whidmore (sp?), ex-navy, who helped the pilot out after he ejected. BTW, single pilot not two.

Jason reports that he saw the plane rapidly lose altitude once the second engine failed. He reported to the news team that the pilot told him he could not maneuver the plane any further and had to eject. The pilot knew the plane was going into a residential neighborhood and tried to aim it toward open space before ejecting (from other reports, the plane came down near some high school fields). The pilot was "emotionally upset" about the fact that he knew the plane went down in a residential neighborhood.

Weird bit: the pilot had to use Jason's cell phone to contact his batallion commander. After that, a navy vehicle came and picked the pilot up.

1509 PST: 2 dead, 2 still unaccounted for....RIP

Witness (Chris ?) was in a nearby office building and saw a "brown cloud" ejected from the airplane (fuel?) and then he stated that the plane took on a "45 degree angle dive" toward the ground. The witness saw the pilot eject after the dive began.

The news reporter is now reporting that the pilot tried to follow some railroad tracks along rose canyon to avoid densely populated areas. They are reporting that the pilot was in contact with ATC at Miramar and that they thought he could make it in.....

1524PST: Lynn Sweeney

Re: Navy F-18 Jet Crash in Neighborhood Near Miramar (marine

From CNN:

One resident interviewed by CNN affiliate KFMB said he saw a fighter jet at a very low altitude, and "it just spiraled, right out of 'Top Gun.' "

Three houses were damaged or destroyed and there are 3 confirmed deaths, a mother, a child, and a grandmother. The search for a fourth body, another child, is underway. the pilot ejected into a baseball field nearby and is okay.

The public needs to understand, although tragic and a devistating accident, these things do happen. The pilot tried to fly the F-18 away from the houses and ejected at the very last second. It could have been much worse. I feel for the pilot as I know he will live with the deaths for the rest of his life. The important thing noew is to find out what happened and prevent this from happing again and to help the families effected by this accident anyway we can.

My thoughts and prayers to the families, the USMC, and the pilot.

From a former squid to the pilot, Sempr-Fi.

From CNN:

Quit watching CNN and just log in to the local channels...geeze louise!

San Diego has the benefit, for better or worse, of having lots of ex-military people in the area who can give more accurate accounts of what they saw. As I was watching the local news feed yesterday, I was very impressed by the caution exhibited by the ex-military people who called in and gave their descriptions. No hystrionics, no exaggerations, no speculations...just what they saw. They were uniformly professional, courteous and careful in choosing their words. Where CNN found the yahoos they quoted is beyond me.

I guess useful, thoughtful observations from sober people are just not in CNN's repetoire. :sarcasm:

Ozoen, you are correct. People need to quit watching the national media as they rarely get it right. It sickens me to hear comments like "USAF F-18" or "Both Pilots Ejected". And where they find the idiots to comment is beyond me. It almost seems like they ask "Who Knows The Least About What Happend Here And Has The Most Active Imagination?"

We have investigators for a reason. People, please wait for the report before drawing any conculsion. And take the local news with a grain of salt as they too get it wrong fairly often.

Respectfully,

SafetyEngineer :yeahthat:

Quit watching CNN and just log in to the local channels

agreed...although, to an extent, local news is guilty of the same. The media, no matter how big or small, is in the business of ratings/advertising revenue. The journalists who make it to the big time are the ones who have given up their integrity for sensationalism. The journalists with potential start their careers at a small market, see that the industry has become nothing but sensationalism, and switch to another career field.

BTW, single pilot not two.
I read a report that it was a D model, which is a two seat model only used in USMC squadrons. If true then there would normally be a NFO in the back (D model not the same as a F model two seat superhornet ). So technically there is one pilot, but two crewmembers.

Maybe he was by himself or the media just messes things up.

Back