Navy F-18 Jet Crash in Neighborhood Near Miramar (marine?)

Re: Navy F-18 Jet Crash in Neighborhood Near Miramar (marine

Quit watching CNN and just log in to the local channels...geeze louise!

I don't get a whole lot of "local" news coverage from the United States, seeing as how I'm stationed in England.

CNN international is as close as I get to American TV. Sky News shows the CBS Evening News at 0330 if for some reason I'm up that late/early.

I don't get a whole lot of "local" news coverage from the United States, seeing as how I'm stationed in England.

CNN international is as close as I get to American TV. Sky News shows the CBS Evening News at 0330 if for some reason I'm up that late/early.

I dont get "local news" from San Diego either since I am in Denver, but in the USA at least, it's easy enough to google "television stations San Diego" and for things like military jet crashes, there is usually a live webcast news feed that you can watch.

I agree with the statements that the local news usually has it's own hype issues as well. But, cities like San Diego, the birthplace of US naval aviation, have a LOT of ex military people wandering about; hence my comments that their statements yesterday during the unedited live feeds coming from KUSI and 10news, were impressive.

My dad is staying at a hotel that is 2 miles from the crash site. He texted me when it happened. Luckily, he was about 6 miles from where the crash occured, getting a quick lunch, from what I understand. :whatever:

Heard in the car this morning it was a marine plane, on the way back from training. One crew member on board, 4 soles in the house, three did not make it. Pilot "Stayed With the jet" as long as possible.

Just goes to show you:

If the media is routinely this wrong about aviation stories that we know something about, how wrong are they about stories we DON'T know anything about.

sad

The guy whos house the jet crashed into lost almost his entire immediate family. I can not imagine the pain he has got to be going through right now, and the pain the pilot, whom ejected safely will be going through as well..... especially if there is something he knows he could have done... which as a human being he will come up with something.

Video
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/09/military.jet.crash/index.html?iref=mpstoryview#cnnSTCVideo

---------------------------------------------------------------------
A Korean immigrant who lost his wife, two children and mother-in-law when a Marine Corps jet slammed into the family's house said Tuesday he did not blame the pilot, who ejected and survived.

"Please pray for him not to suffer from this accident," a distraught Dong Yun Yoon told reporters gathered near the site of Monday's crash of an F/A-18D jet in San Diego's University City community.

"He is one of our treasures for the country," Yoon said in accented English punctuated by long pauses while he tried to maintain his composure.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

What a tradgedy. This man just lost his wife, 2 month old, 15 month old, and mother in law. RIP. I feel so bad for this man - truly brave and a class act.

The guy is so gracious I just saw him on news says how the pilot of the f-18 shouldn't feel bad. He also said he doesn't know how to cope with losing his whole family.

I don't want to open a can of worms but I just hope that pilot did all he could. It would be a very hard choice to go down with the airplane to avoid the houses (if it was even possible). Either way I know the pilot will have a very hard time dealing with this.

What a tradgedy. This man just lost his wife, 2 month old, 15 month old, and mother in law. RIP. I feel so bad for this man - truly brave and a class act.

Agreed....that's amazing.

The guy is so gracious I just saw him on news says how the pilot of the f-18 shouldn't feel bad. He also said he doesn't know how to cope with losing his whole family.

I don't want to open a can of worms but I just hope that pilot did all he could. It would be a very hard choice to go down with the airplane to avoid the houses (if it was even possible). Either way I know the pilot will have a very hard time dealing with this.

If the engines arent running, it doesn't matter if the pilot is on the aircraft or not.

The Hornet has hydraulically-actuated flight controls. If the engines aren't running, then there isn't hydraulic pressure to make the control surfaces move. The airplane will go where it's going to go, regardless of if the pilot's in there moving the control stick or not.

Does anyone know what the US government or the military does in this sort of case? I can, unfortunately, envision this poor guy getting put through the wringer to get reimbursement for his house, much less the loss of life of his loved ones. I can easily see his home-owners insurance saying "we dont cover jet crashes...so buzz off" Then i can see representatives from the military saying "we have to investigate first, we will get back to you when the investigation is complete". Finally, I can see the US government saying "we are not responsible, you have to take that matter up with your private insurance."

I sincerely hope that some of this gentleman's elected representatives go to bat for him to try to salvage what he can from his ruined life and lost loved-ones. It's just after Katrina, I have become very cynical about our government's ability to understand personal loss and help people make the transition back to a normal life.

That being said, I have no doubt that his neighbors, and the surrounding community will do all they can to help.

At a previous base, when a jet had the canopy pop off in flight, a team consisting of the base JAG and a finance officer toting his checkbook was dispatched to go find the owner of the land where the canopy landed.

I don't know what they paid him, but they were authorized to pay restitution on the spot.

I give that husband a ton of credit. That takes a ton of character to do that.

Does anyone know what the US government or the military does in this sort of case? I can, unfortunately, envision this poor guy getting put through the wringer to get reimbursement for his house, much less the loss of life of his loved ones. I can easily see his home-owners insurance saying "we dont cover jet crashes...so buzz off" Then i can see representatives from the military saying "we have to investigate first, we will get back to you when the investigation is complete". Finally, I can see the US government saying "we are not responsible, you have to take that matter up with your private insurance."

I sincerely hope that some of this gentleman's elected representatives go to bat for him to try to salvage what he can from his ruined life and lost loved-ones. It's just after Katrina, I have become very cynical about our government's ability to understand personal loss and help people make the transition back to a normal life.

That being said, I have no doubt that his neighbors, and the surrounding community will do all they can to help.
The Department of the Navy will pay him restitution for loosing his family, home, and belongings.

Tough loss for the husband, I can't imagine what he must be going through. 3 generations wiped out just like that. The pilot must be devastated as well, it looked like the house was right next to a canyon but it looked like the plane just didn't have enough momentum to make it over the neighborhood.

Agreed....that's amazing.

If the engines arent running, it doesn't matter if the pilot is on the aircraft or not.

The Hornet has hydraulically-actuated flight controls. If the engines aren't running, then there isn't hydraulic pressure to make the control surfaces move. The airplane will go where it's going to go, regardless of if the pilot's in there moving the control stick or not.

Thats unfortunate, of course normally, the engines stay running. You'd think that you'd want some sort of way to control a power off descent. I guess deadstick in the hornet really is a dead stick.

I dunno, are most fighters equipped with hydraulically actuated flight controls? Because it would seem to me that unless the hydraulic lines are incredibly shield, have numerous back ups, and aren't very susceptible to being penetrated by bullets it would be fairly easy to bring one down provided it didn't get you first. Just shooting in the dark here.

Thats unfortunate, of course normally, the engines stay running. You'd think that you'd want some sort of way to control a power off descent. I guess deadstick in the hornet really is a dead stick.

I dunno, are most fighters equipped with hydraulically actuated flight controls? Because it would seem to me that unless the hydraulic lines are incredibly shield, have numerous back ups, and aren't very susceptible to being penetrated by bullets it would be fairly easy to bring one down provided it didn't get you first. Just shooting in the dark here.

I agree, hard to believe for a size of an F18 not to have a mechanical backup. But then again these airplanes were designed by very smart people they've probably looked at all the angles.

When they were interviwing the husband, there was an F18 on final right over them, however he was pretty high up there. Compared to where the aircraft crashed, the pilot must have had some altitude to work with when the engines failed.

That's what the DC-10 fanboys thought too! ;)

Back