Nationalization of U.S airlines.....

brent p h

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2008/04/23/lets-nationalize-the-airlines.aspx. I seem to hear a lot of this talk lately with the airlines oozing so much red ink. (Already implemented in Mexico). Something tells me the U.S is not far behind.

They're already nationalized de facto. When the taxpayers bail them out every time they fail to make money (all the time), that's nationalization. But as long as the psuedo-capitalist farce goes on, they can cry "competition" every time labor tries to stop the erosion of pay and benefits. Hell, you can be ordered to go back to work by the federal government until they decide that it's ok for you to strike. "De-Regulation" has proven to be nothing of the sort. It's a scam. And you're an indentured servant.

LOL, wow! Tell us how you really feel.

He's right.

Either put it solely outside the scope of government control and make it true free-market, or don't.

The game is rigged.

Then again, as Robert Heinlein once wrote...
"Of course the game is rigged- but you can't win if you don't play."

Bailouts, hmmm... Banks, Investment Houses, Auto Manufacturers, that's all I could think of off the top of my head.

Ever been to the DMV? It takes me over an hour no matter when I go during the day to do anything there.

And even though the airlines are losing money hand over fist, at least they try to make a profit. The government running the show would well pretty much suck. Although from a pilots perspective it would probably be pretty cushy. If the TSA is any indication, you can double the pay off the bat.

Bailouts, hmmm... Banks, Investment Houses, Auto Manufacturers, that's all I could think of off the top of my head.

And farmers. The farm sector is crazy. While the government is trying to 'help' them with subsidies, it actually hurts them (and the consumer) in the long run.

Ever been to the DMV? It takes me over an hour no matter when I go during the day to do anything there.

And even though the airlines are losing money hand over fist, at least they try to make a profit. The government running the show would well pretty much suck. Although from a pilots perspective it would probably be pretty cushy. If the TSA is any indication, you can double the pay off the bat.

Really? They aren't trying very hard to make a profit.

I'd say they make more (or lose less) than a government run airline would burn thru, wouldn't you?

I remember reading an interview with a CEO of JetBlue (former or current, I don't remember) where he said in reference to the multiple airline bankruptcies and subsequent government bailouts in the last 6 years (paraphrase), "In most other industries, when you beat your competitor, they go away. In our industry, they come back stronger."

I'm sure folks will take issue with that statement in some way (or many ways), but I was struck by the simple truth and logic of those words.

Really? They aren't trying very hard to make a profit.

Airlines are bleeding out of their butt cracks, and they're slashing costs, pay, and perks everywhere they can, and they're not doing that to try to make a profit?

What do you suggest they do?

Unless it was a sarcastic crack at the organized crime known as Airline Management, in which case I agree with you.

The real answer is state run airlines (not as in nation states, but as in Georgia, Alabama, Alaska, etc.)

Let each state decide if they want to subsidize an airline, and keep fairs low, rather than have big national behemoths, we don't live in luxembourg, our country is too big with too many air travelers for a national airline.

The real answer is state run airlines (not as in nation states, but as in Georgia, Alabama, Alaska, etc.)

Let each state decide if they want to subsidize an airline, and keep fairs low, rather than have big national behemoths, we don't live in luxembourg, our country is too big with too many air travelers for a national airline.

Didn't know the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg has a passenger airline.

CargoLux is a well known brand though....:bandit:

Would Georgia sue Georgia for the naming rights to Georgian Air?

Then again, this can go all the way back to 1789.....this whole states rights vs. federal rights.....

You can't be serious! We'd have to make two dozen connections to travel from California to Florida!!!

(it's fares btw, not "fairs")

Start by nationalizing oil natural gas and coal...
Venezuelans are paying a few cents a gallon right???

And farmers. The farm sector is crazy. While the government is trying to 'help' them with subsidies, it actually hurts them (and the consumer) in the long run.

http://www.nydailynews.com/money/2008/07/20/2008-07-20_government_bailouts_soak_you__me.html

Back