NASA report question

pwttogfk

So, a friend of mine was flying the pattern solo with a controller who was overworked and didn't know who was where. To make a long story short, he landed without a clearance on one of his times around the pattern. It was his first solo, too :banghead: Is this considered a criminal offense, in which case an ASRS report doesn't give any protection, or would an ASRS report give immunity assuming no loss of separation occurred?

So, a friend of mine was flying the pattern solo with a controller who was overworked and didn't know who was where. To make a long story short, he landed without a clearance on one of his times around the pattern. It was his first solo, too :banghead: Is this considered a criminal offense, in which case an ASRS report doesn't give any protection, or would an ASRS report give immunity assuming no loss of separation occurred?

And just to make your friend feel a little better, this happens on average 5-10 times a week at each major US airline.

He learned a lesson, no one got hurt. Fill out the NASA form and be a better pilot because of it!

The NASA form is now online. Much easier this way. Google NASA ASRS and it will come up.

One time a "friend" of mine landed a light GA single at a class B airport without a clearance because the approach controller never switched switched them to tower.

A NASA form was filed and nothing ever came of it.

Back